McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL35M

NiyolHuayra

NiyolHuayra

aerofoilf1

PhillipM

Change of brake compounds this weekend apparently, maybe to help Ric out with his rear locking on trail braking?

M840TR

mclaren111 wrote:
02 May 2021, 15:33
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 May 2021, 15:18
mclaren111 wrote:https://i.ibb.co/Bjf9jvp/E0-Xsyg0-WEAMk-0x.jpg

We added an upright in front of rear tyre...
That was actually added for Imola if I’m not wrong
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzB9ogiXMAk ... ame=medium

Imola was three... Now we have four...
Where's the 4th fin? I only see 3.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
06 May 2021, 17:13
Change of brake compounds this weekend apparently, maybe to help Ric out with his rear locking on trail braking?
What do you mean by trail braking?

Herr_Koos

M840TR wrote:
06 May 2021, 17:15
PhillipM wrote:
This should help. I didn't know either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_braking

_cerber1

SmallSoldier

McLaren MCL35M

M840TR wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
In short, when you brake for a corner you can either go on the brakes before the corner and release them before you start turning or when trail braking, you potentially brake a little later and continue to brake while you are turning into the corner (releasing the brakes, but still on them)... This allows to not only delay your braking point, but you continue to load the front tires, therefore increasing your front tire grip during turn in

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2021, 17:54
M840TR wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
In short, when you brake for a corner you can either go on the brakes before the corner and release them before you start turning or when trail braking, you potentially brake a little later and continue to brake while you are turning into the corner (releasing the brakes, but still on them)... This allows to not only delay your braking point, but you continue to load the front tires, therefore increasing your front tire grip during turn in

Hope it helps!

Technically, you don't really want extra load on the front tires when you are braking. If you overdo it, you risk locking up or going straight on. That's why not all corners are "compatible" for trail braking. It's usually the very fast corners at which the drivers use trail braking. Those would be corners like T1 in Barcelona, T1 in Albert Park, T1 in Portimao etc ...

Drivers prepare by shifting the brake bias rearwards for those corners, so the front tires don't get too stressed as they are already under immense loads during turn in. This way they can enter the corner at very high speeds, using the rear brakes (mostly, but the front brakes are used too) to slow the car down further at the apex before they hit the gas on exit again.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2021, 17:54
M840TR wrote: What do you mean by trail braking?

Hope it helps!

Technically, you don't really want extra load on the front tires when you are braking. If you overdo it, you risk locking up or going straight on. That's why not all corners are "compatible" for trail braking. It's usually the very fast corners at which the drivers use trail braking. Those would be corners like T1 in Barcelona, T1 in Albert Park, T1 in Portimao etc ...

Drivers prepare by shifting the brake bias rearwards for those corners, so the front tires don't get too stressed as they are already under immense loads during turn in. This way they can enter the corner at very high speeds, using the rear brakes (mostly, but the front brakes are used too) to slow the car down further at the apex before they hit the gas on exit again.
I was under the impression that they could trail brake on every corner if they so wanted it, while trail braking the brake pressure is reduced (therefore they shouldn’t be locking the brakes) and more than loading the front tires, the intention is to maintain the weight of the car forward and not have it unload to quickly... But, I have never driven a Formula 1 car beyond playing a video game, so no idea really!

I can say that on my race car I do tend to trail brake on most turns that require more than just an small brake application... It helps a lot with turn in... But that’s a 1000 levels below what these guys are doing :)

Interesting discussion though, probably we should shift it to the Team thread to avoid going off topic on the Car thread.

Cheers!

SmallSoldier

Pictures from @motorsport.com

MrGapes

Any other evident changes or updates?

NiyolHuayra

MrGapes wrote:
07 May 2021, 01:54
Any other evident changes or updates?
Rear opening seems to be smaller at first glance (tighter cover).