McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Hard to read too much into graphs and very easy to draw false conclusions but it kinda implies that the downforce generation on the MCL35M is done in a very efficient manner. That is to say that for the drag incurred, the df generation is v v good. On top of that traction out of corners is superb.

Equally as we’ve identified over and over is that the top chassis (with that I mean FER/Merc/RB) are able to carry much more speed through sections like Sector 3 in Barcelona.

I’m not sure whether it’s top end “peak” DF related in conjunction with suspension?
Or perhaps its a problem inherently baked into the chassis and possibly to do with how well you can integrate the engine package for optimal CofG and CofP (aero).
Maybe a combo of all of the above 👆 fingers crossed they know where that improvement can be found during grassroots design for next years challenger
Last edited by 101FlyingDutchman on 11 Sep 2021, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

I'm optimistic for next year with the current managers & top designers...

Stu

mclaren111 wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 13:57
Me too, McLaren were one of the few teams to interpret this years regulation changes in an interesting way, they seem to have followed a sensible improvement campaign. They have made big strides since parting company with Honda, have there been personnel changes in the design and aero teams since then, or do they simply now have confidence in their competence?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mclaren111

Stu wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 12:44
mclaren111 wrote:
Me too, McLaren were one of the few teams to interpret this years regulation changes in an interesting way, they seem to have followed a sensible improvement campaign. They have made big strides since parting company with Honda, have there been personnel changes in the design and aero teams since then, or do they simply now have confidence in their competence?

Combination of both... More importantly the company stucture were changed to the traditional F1 structure:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/22/mat ... zak-brown/

ScottR267
ScottR267

mclaren111 wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 13:24
Stu wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

Combination of both... More importantly the company stucture were changed to the traditional F1 structure:

Be interesting to know who they hired and where they come from too! Did they manage to poach engineers from the top teams?

DiogoBrand

mclaren111 wrote:

Just read the comments on that post, everyone was criticizing zak. There was even one asking for Kubica to be signed alongside Lando instead of Sainz.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta love those internet experts.

mclaren111

Motorsport.com

As the team trimmed the front wing flap back quite significantly on the inboard end of the wing. This was in order to reduce the downforce being generated and help deliver a better aero balance front-to-rear.

I did not see this... :lol: :lol:

Anyone else who missed it ??

diffuser

ScottR267 wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 14:54
mclaren111 wrote:
Stu wrote:

Be interesting to know who they hired and where they come from too! Did they manage to poach engineers from the top teams?
There is a thread on team staff movement or something like that. One guys takes it upon himself to follow all the companies and people on linkedin and not sure what else he does. Anyways, he's reported a bunch of staff movement in the last year. Mostly from A teams to B teams. PU people to RBR and lots of people to AMR (not sure you'd classify them as a Merc B team).

Alpine and Merc were fairly quiet in that thread. Can't say for certain all I can say is I don't remember seeing any staff movement for McLaren in that thread.

To me that makes sence cause their budgets are around the CAP. So they haven't had to shed salary.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 17:32
ScottR267 wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 14:54
mclaren111 wrote:

There is a thread on team staff movement or something like that. One guys takes it upon himself to follow all the companies and people on linkedin and not sure what else he does. Anyways, he's reported a bunch of staff movement in the last year. Mostly from A teams to B teams. PU people to RBR and lots of people to AMR (not sure you'd classify them as a Merc B team).

Alpine and Merc were fairly quiet in that thread. Can't say for certain all I can say is I don't remember seeing any staff movement for McLaren in that thread.

To me that makes sence cause their budgets are around the CAP. So they haven't had to shed salary.
This conversation is more team related, but they did shed staff, but during the Coronavirus when they had to refinance. 70 Staff left the racing team. Mclaren also "shifted" some staff to other Racing programs, so more than 70 left the racing team.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Pictures from Sochi, via @f1debrief:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

_cerber1

bauc

I know it is off topic, but dam it I will have to order a miniature copy of this car as it brought Mclaren's first win and first pole in many years. If anyone knows a good web site that delivers worldwide send me a PM.

please do not reply to this post
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Balalu
Balalu

MCL35M = Win, 1-2, Pole, Fastest Lap.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Vroumboy
Vroumboy

Woo this picture is beautiful ...

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

Car seems to be much better riding curbs than in recent memory - and this is with carry over suspension.

Wonder if that is down to updates to the aero platform, or tuning the existing suspension components.