McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Emag wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 14:29
Laptime will come differently for next year's cars I expect. Destabilizations may cause a loss of efficiency for the venturi tunnels.

Perhaps the bumpier tracks like Monaco will be quite a bit slower?
Would that really be all that different to the current floor + front wing?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SmallSoldier

wesley123 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 16:21
Emag wrote:
Laptime will come differently for next year's cars I expect. Destabilizations may cause a loss of efficiency for the venturi tunnels.

Today’s cars are pretty good at managing air flow in a way that it creates a very stable aerodynamic platform… With elements such as the bargeboards removed, there is potential for larger losses for the new generation of cars on very bumpy tracks.

_cerber1

Zynerji

Most underrated car of 2021 IMHO.

MtthsMlw

Gone soon..

Emag

As much as I love how "alien" this thing looks, I am glad it is going. These complicated (but marvelous) pieces are the primary reason the racing quality has been weak ever since 2017.

diffuser

wesley123 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 16:21
Emag wrote:

I believe he's thinking back to 94, the last time we used the floor this much. That was before the floor plank and you could get very close to pavement. The whole floor was generating DF. If you hit a bump, naturally the distance between n the floor and pavement changed and you'd loose DF. We'll still have the floor plank next year running down the middle of the floor. It is the part of the car that is closest to the ground and everything else has to be 2cm (I think) above that or more.

Morteza

Via Motorsport.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Emag

It's crazy how little impact the visual changes seem to have on a car. This car is basically just a more detailed version of last year's car with a different power unit in the back.

Yet this car's gap to the top is half of what it was last year.

There must be so many internal changes that make it that much faster, because I doubt adding winglets here and there adds up to a net 0.7% gain.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 16:02
It's crazy how little impact the visual changes seem to have on a car. This car is basically just a more detailed version of last year's car with a different power unit in the back.

There must be so many internal changes that make it that much faster, because I doubt adding winglets here and there adds up to a net 0.7% gain.
The top 2 teams RBR/Merc just lost more time with the floor regulation changes than everyone else. They were ahead because they were making better use of the floor, change that and they loose a big advantage. Then introduce a cap this Year and they don't have the resources to pull away again.

McLaren are still fighting for 3ird so they did a better job than Alpine and AMR but not as good a job as Ferrari (when you consider where Ferrari came from).

mwillems

Emag wrote:

Mclaren have stated that it has almost as many new parts as when they had no restrictions upon designing a new car, and that it basically is a new car.

In terms of visual difference, the car is much slimmer than last year due to the fact that we had remit to change the sidepod cooling as part of the engine change. This water or oil based cooling not sat on the engine cost other teams 2 tokens. As well as that there was a lower centre of gravity, more efficient engine, updated gearings and gearbox and I can't remember what else. But it was quite advantageous to us I think.

Hats off to Ferrari for still finding more time than us.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 18:55
Emag wrote:

Mclaren have stated that it has almost as many new parts as when they had no restrictions upon designing a new car, and that it basically is a new car.

In terms of visual difference, the car is much slimmer than last year due to the fact that we had remit to change the sidepod cooling as part of the engine change. This water or oil based cooling not sat on the engine cost other teams 2 tokens. As well as that there was a lower centre of gravity, more efficient engine, updated gearings and gearbox and I can't remember what else. But it was quite advantageous to us I think.

I'm not a fan of statements like "Mclaren have stated that it has almost as many new parts as when they had no restrictions upon designing a new car, and that it basically is a new car.". I don't know what they mean by almost? New Car in a common regulation year? Too many unknown variables. I'd be willing to wager that it was less than 50% of the new parts that will be needed for the 2022 car.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 20:48
mwillems wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 18:55
Emag wrote:

I'm not a fan of statements like "Mclaren have stated that it has almost as many new parts as when they had no restrictions upon designing a new car, and that it basically is a new car.". I don't know what they mean by almost? New Car in a common regulation year? Too many unknown variables. I'd be willing to wager that it was less than 50% of the new parts that will be needed for the 2022 car.
That's fair enough, I'll take it face value I think, since year on year there will often be carry over parts.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

_cerber1

_cerber1

Last edited by _cerber1 on 14 Dec 2021, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.