Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GhostF1

Re: Red Bull RB16B

First thing to note, they are being extremely cautious about letting anyone hear the new cars running, even Alpha Tauri who always put sound clips up have stayed quiet on the AT02 running. This has to be a hype thing and the engine maybe sounds drastically different? Surely not a competitive thing hiding from the competition at this stage of the game? I'm just surprised there is no soundbites whatsoever...

Just came across this video on twitter that was posted a couple hours ago after they finished RB16B filming day.

1:12 into this video, not sure if intentionally subtle.. but whatever engine that is accelerating, it's not the Honda we are used to! RA621 tease?

Sieper

Sevach wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 00:24
Sieper wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 00:17
Sevach wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 00:11

Somewhat curious that Alfa did it's best to have the cape as far forward as possible while RBR is pushing it backwards.
Or are they? The alpha tauri render nose was also quite different than the actual car. As long as the crash structure is not altered I think you can make alterations to the nosecone token free. Or am I mistaken?
I'm sorry, it wasn't clear enough, Alfa Romeo not Alpha Tauri.
No, you were clear enough, I just mean that just like Alpha Tauri AT02 actual nose was quite different from the render, maybe the RB16B nose is also different from the render.

MiddleKerb

RB16B video clip in the first 8 seconds (the square mirror stalks mount indicate it's)
Honda engine sound so different from last year

ispano6

GhostF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 00:32
First thing to note, they are being extremely cautious about letting anyone hear the new cars running, even Alpha Tauri who always put sound clips up have stayed quiet on the AT02 running. This has to be a hype thing and the engine maybe sounds drastically different? Surely not a competitive thing hiding from the competition at this stage of the game? I'm just surprised there is no soundbites whatsoever...

Just came across this video on twitter that was posted a couple hours ago after they finished RB16B filming day.

1:12 into this video, not sure if intentionally subtle.. but whatever engine that is accelerating, it's not the Honda we are used to! RA621 tease?
Alpha Tauri did release the start up sound clip for the new Honda PU

GhostF1

ispano6 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 06:02
GhostF1 wrote:

Alpha Tauri did release the start up sound clip for the new Honda PU
Yeah but sounds shockingly filtered. But just came across video of the AT02 running. By someone at the track.
Check those threads. Pretty big change.

zibby43

GhostF1 wrote:
First thing to note, they are being extremely cautious about letting anyone hear the new cars running
Why would that be?

What could any competitor glean, and subsequently implement, from audio clips at this point? Particularly given the 2021 rules.

Thanks in advance.

_cerber1

Nothing! The microphone on which all this was recorded could not be the one used by FOM, with the sound we are used to.

GhostF1

zibby43 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 08:22
GhostF1 wrote:
First thing to note, they are being extremely cautious about letting anyone hear the new cars running
Why would that be?

What could any competitor glean, and subsequently implement, from audio clips at this point? Particularly given the 2021 rules.

Thanks in advance.
I have no idea! I agree. I think it's weirdly cloak and dagger for surely not much. Just usually both of them have showcased things a bit more and Max's comments on the car are borderline pointless, you could he was told to say nothing whatsoever. Not that it matters much but even RB didn't do a startup vid for this year for the first time.

Just the overall vibe is interesting.

zibby43

GhostF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 10:18
zibby43 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 08:22
GhostF1 wrote:
Why would that be?

Thanks in advance.
I have no idea! I agree. I think it's weirdly cloak and dagger for surely not much. Just usually both of them have showcased things a bit more and Max's comments on the car are borderline pointless, you could he was told to say nothing whatsoever. Not that it matters much but even RB didn't do a startup vid for this year for the first time.

Just the overall vibe is interesting.
Interesting vibes all around with the launches so far, indeed. Another example would be Merc launching last, I think?

The 2021 (2022) Honda PU has piqued my curiosity.

marcel171281

The engine is not the most interesting IMHO. We heard the AT, so sound is available. But one thing is pretty curious, there is no footage at all from the back of the RB16B. No video's, no photo's. What is going on there with the diffuser? What is going on with the exhaust and the wastegate pipes? Also the rear suspension hasn't been shown properly and we know the tokens are spend in that area.

gandharva

So seems they already wasted a full filming day where the car was not ready to run. Not a good sign these days, where track time is extremely limited.

ME4ME

gandharva wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 11:50
So seems they already wasted a full filming day where the car was not ready to run. Not a good sign these days, where track time is extremely limited.
What reason is there to asume the RB16B wasn't ready to run?

Perez:
“Driving a new car is always special – for the driver and also for the team,” said Perez. “They have been working so hard through the winter, so to finally take the car on track, it’s quite an emotional day.

“I think there is a lot of potential. The conditions were not great but it was nice to get a feeling for the car. It’s pretty exciting. Earlier this week I drove the RB15 but today I could feel a step in overall grip and top speed.”

BigSexyBeast

gandharva wrote:
The RB16b used all of its allocated 100km
Kill your masters.

Little Ducky

It seems to me that they run the old aero package (Nose and Floor) but they have the new rear end (Suspension and gearbox end). You see clearly the suspension is different and the Honda logo on the engine cover is the same as the launch pictures of the RB16B

Wouter

ME4ME wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 12:21
gandharva wrote:
What reason is there to asume the RB16B wasn't ready to run?

Perez:
“Driving a new car is always special – for the driver and also for the team,” said Perez. “They have been working so hard through the winter, so to finally take the car on track, it’s quite an emotional day.

“I think there is a lot of potential. The conditions were not great but it was nice to get a feeling for the car. It’s pretty exciting. Earlier this week I drove the RB15 but today I could feel a step in overall grip and top speed.”
Exactly!
The Power of Dreams!