Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
lio007

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Wouter wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 12:51
ME4ME wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 12:21
gandharva wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 11:50
So seems they already wasted a full filming day where the car was not ready to run. Not a good sign these days, where track time is extremely limited.
What reason is there to asume the RB16B wasn't ready to run?

Perez:
“Driving a new car is always special – for the driver and also for the team,” said Perez. “They have been working so hard through the winter, so to finally take the car on track, it’s quite an emotional day.

“I think there is a lot of potential. The conditions were not great but it was nice to get a feeling for the car. It’s pretty exciting. Earlier this week I drove the RB15 but today I could feel a step in overall grip and top speed.”
Exactly!
If they really ran the RB16B on track is at anyones guess. We have no real evidence apart from some PR-statements (the bold one deliberately exaggerated on my side).
Right now, I'm a bit more on the pessimistic side. Compared to last years this shakedown was totally different in terms of social media content from the new car. It could indeed all be intentional smoke and mirrors, but in my opinion yesterday went (unfortunately) not according to plan. (for sure I'd be happy if it was not the case!)

lio007

Hm...also just some guessing, why they didn't release any content of the RB16B:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... e/5486689/
Last edited by lio007 on 25 Feb 2021, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

lio007 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 13:10
It could indeed all be intentional smoke and mirrors, but in my opinion yesterday went (unfortunately) not according to plan. (for sure I'd be happy if it was not the case!)
Why do you think that?
I think that they have something on the car that other teams may not see before Bahrein, also AlphaTauri.
The Power of Dreams!

dren

lio007 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 13:13
The press is salivating at something to write about. I'd take this with a grain of salt. We'll see the cars soon enough.
Honda!

lio007

dren wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 13:54
lio007 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 13:13
The press is salivating at something to write about. I'd take this with a grain of salt. We'll see the cars soon enough.
As long as the RB16B is able to run, yes, we will. 😉

scheffers
scheffers

gandharva wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 11:50
So seems they already wasted a full filming day where the car was not ready to run. Not a good sign these days, where track time is extremely limited.

Deffo not the RB15...

Bandit1216

Maybe they just have 100% efficiency and thus no sound at all.

Above is sarcasm, for those who can't tell. Maybe they are very quite and that is what they try to hide. Very quite would mean a very efficient turbine/mgu-h combo.

I would prefer a championship car with crap sound.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Don't read too much into the fact they are hiding the car. McLaren did the same to a degree, they blacked out areas of the car and made sure not to release too many damning videos or photos. Even an official photo was blacked out in the bargeboard area and area in front of the rear tire. It wasn't complete blackout like Red Bull is doing but every team does it. Doesn't mean it's anything revolutionary.

Blackout

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 15:46
Don't read too much into the fact they are hiding the car. McLaren did the same to a degree, they blacked out areas of the car and made sure not to release too many damning videos or photos. Even an official photo was blacked out in the bargeboard area and area in front of the rear tire. It wasn't complete blackout like Red Bull is doing but every team does it. Doesn't mean it's anything revolutionary.
It's ridiculous actually.

bosyber
bosyber

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 15:46
Yeah, overly secretive seems, for now, the most likely, simplest, explanation. I liked (warning, in German, but still good read) what Michael Schmidt at AMuS wrote about it (I translated):
Pointless game of hide-and-seek

Red Bull does not show any recording of its new car driving. It's a bit ridiculous because playing hide and seek doesn't make sense [especially for] this season. The teams have already used up their development tokens, muses Michael Schmidt in his blog.
But, as the motorsport article also says, Red Bull, and other teams, are just so used to going that way, they probably can't help themselves.

mclaren111

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ME4ME

It's pointless if the item they're hiding requires development tokens, but it might as well be a token-free aero surface or some fancy brake duct flaps.

Why must Red Bull show anything at all when Ferrari and Mercedes haven't shown a glimpse of their car either.

Wouter

ME4ME wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 16:36
Why must Red Bull show anything at all when Ferrari and Mercedes haven't shown a glimpse of their car either.
Exactly!
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

ME4ME wrote:
It's pointless if the item they're hiding requires development tokens, but it might as well be a token-free aero surface or some fancy brake duct flaps.

Plus, if they show something now that does require tokens, the others might just be able to replicate it in time for season start.

but I guess they just don’t want to show the diffuser and rear wheel mounts.

maguetox
maguetox

ME4ME wrote:

One thing is for sure, the spy photographers are going to be very busy during the Bahrain test.