Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Wouter

Re: Red Bull RB16B

maguetox wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 19:35
ME4ME wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 16:36
It's pointless if the item they're hiding requires development tokens, but it might as well be a token-free aero surface or some fancy brake duct flaps.

Why must Red Bull show anything at all when Ferrari and Mercedes haven't shown a glimpse of their car either.
One thing is for sure, the spy photographers are going to be very busy during the Bahrain test.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Power of Dreams!

skoop

I think the secrecy is relatively self explainatory when you look at the overall situation: The later you show anything new to your competition the more ressources they have to allocate to the development of the 21 contender for analyzing / understanding your solution. There the development of the 22 car gets hampered

Racer X

skoop wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 11:13
I think the secrecy is relatively self explainatory when you look at the overall situation: The later you show anything new to your competition the more ressources they have to allocate to the development of the 21 contender for analyzing / understanding your solution. There the development of the 22 car gets hampered
I like this perfective also the quicker they can Advance their own understanding and either fix anything wrong or advance further the more of an advantage they gain. Also if anyone does try to copy RedBull in development they will be steps behind further hampering the competitions growth.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

elFranZ

lio007 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 13:13
Hm...also just some guessing, why they didn't release any content of the RB16B:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... e/5486689/
don't know if already posted:
rb16b's rear end (enhanced light)

for comparison, this was the rb16's :

ScrewCaptain27

Looks like the pullrod may be 100% carbon on the 16B, otherwise can’t spot anything major. They could have easily just put last year’s rear end on for the photos though.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Manoah2u

skoop wrote:
To be honest, i think this only applies to spectacular 'gimmicks'.
Any other design 'thing' is part of the overall car philosophy and wouldn't really work in suddenly implementing, or even concidering for your next vehicle.

With gimmicks that's a different thing, the only issue is that gimmicks nowadays get banned pretty soon so it's not worth it either.

For example, DAS is something that would be worth it given more time. It gets banned because in the end, it's going to cost a lot of money and it'll return the field to 'before' when everybody implements it, and nothing really is gained.

Things like the F-duct is something that could be implemented without too much money investment and have a reasonable gain. Blown diffusers, Double deck diffusers. They're all things that are hard or 'impossible' to implement in the same season but have such benefits that it'll definately will be taken into account for the following season.

Hence secrecy revolves around things like those 'big' gimmicks, to prevent other teams to copy it and 'lessen' the initial advantage they'll have from the season start.

I don't believe ANY car in the field this year will hold anything 'gimmicky' that makes them suddenly have a great advantage. Hell, Mercedes' DAS system didn't even boost them that much, it just had a worthwile positive effect that they used to 'greaten' their margins on winnin the WCC and WDC.

The only 'things' we might see have a effect in 2021 are the engines. What has Honda done, and what has Ferrari done? This will have the biggest effect on the season.

For 2022 things will be very different, hence opportunities for 'gimmicks'. I am confident that for 2022, there is going to be a lot of secrecy and late reveals. I actually expect the teams to use the current cars, and just put 'mockup' low noses and 18" wheels on the cars with the liveries they'll be running and some 'imitation' floors.

The real excitement for 2022 will be at the pre-season testing.

BUT i'm way off on the topic itself though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

OO7
OO7

Looks like RB may have slimmed the gearbox casing and have closed the bodywork that served as cooling exits around it.

ispano6

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 17:14
skoop wrote:
To be honest, i think this only applies to spectacular 'gimmicks'.
Any other design 'thing' is part of the overall car philosophy and wouldn't really work in suddenly implementing, or even concidering for your next vehicle.
Red Bull trialed serrated wing edges years ago that are somewhat back in the spotlight with Mercedes. Perhaps it's something they ought to have another look at.

PlatinumZealot

elFranZ wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 16:12
lio007 wrote:
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/12 ... 0970ce.jpg

https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/ ... AA1DV4.jpg
Good. It is not a reversed lower wish-bone as persons have been spouting.

Many person's don't really understand the full extent of what Mercedes really did. I don't admonish them because clear views of those parts of the suspension are rare.

But what Mercedes had done is the rear pick up point is basically (not lieterally now guys!) on the crash structure of the gearbox, how far back it is. This is why it was touted as structural challenge.

The rear pick up point Red Bull has now is not that far back. Not even close.

The front pick up points are indeed moved back, but just by maybe 120mm or so. It is still not a reveresed "A" shape and as point out by a previous poster they have used similar before.

So guys.. Look carefully at the rear pick up point and you will see why Mercedes was nervous about implementing it. Mercedes did this to link it up with the diffuser. Understandable. Could be due to the low rake concept they needs some more aid to the diffuser.
RedBull hasnt gone this extreme route. They have cleared more the area near the coke bottle instead.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 15:21
and as point out by a previous poster they have used similar before.
You can see it here if you compare the 2020 AT suspensions (which are RB 2019 or 2018 suspensions) and the 2020 RB.

PlatinumZealot

Blackout wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 16:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 15:21
and as point out by a previous poster they have used similar before.
You can see it here if you compare the 2020 AT suspensions (which are RB 2019 or 2018 suspensions) and the 2020 RB.
https://i.imgur.com/GFZnlSB.jpg
=D>
Perfect view.

Another thing too; did RedBull use something of a multi-link rear suspension last year?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Bandit1216

elFranZ wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 16:12
lio007 wrote:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/12 ... 0970ce.jpg

https://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/ ... AA1DV4.jpg

I think the tunnel above the diffuser is huge. A toddler would fit though there. Looks like they made that tunnel for hot air exit higher to create a huge undercut.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

godlameroso

Yep they raised and flattened the cooling outlet.
Saishū kōnā

Tizz

They widened the gaps in the body around the upper wishbone a bit more and the body seems to be bit shorter in that area. The body part with the Honda logo seems to point a bit higher. They must have been messing around with the diffuser...

aleks_ader

Quite profound change if u ask me. From coke bottle areas in recent years. Till now from this newish floor rules we could deduct main theme. Seems that Mcl and now RB launches like undercut much more and they think that will be beneficial. Plus huge floor area is always beneficial. You just got more space to work with airflow.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna