Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Diesel wrote:
19 May 2021, 11:47
With the way the rear wing pivots to reduce the angle of attack, I would say this provides a significant drag reduction down the straight. It probably also means they can effectively run a higher rear downforce setup than they normally would because the drag penalty is reduced, which means the benefit isn't just on the straights. That could be why Hamilton was suggesting the 3 tenths or whatever it was, it's not just the straight line speed gain, it's the gain from being able to run the higher downforce wing through the entire lap.
They ran the lower downforce wing. If you see my post up top it has the high downforce wing and low downforce wing they tested in FP.
Felipe Baby!

i70q7m7ghw

SiLo wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:48
Diesel wrote:
With the way the rear wing pivots to reduce the angle of attack, I would say this provides a significant drag reduction down the straight. It probably also means they can effectively run a higher rear downforce setup than they normally would because the drag penalty is reduced, which means the benefit isn't just on the straights. That could be why Hamilton was suggesting the 3 tenths or whatever it was, it's not just the straight line speed gain, it's the gain from being able to run the higher downforce wing through the entire lap.
They ran the lower downforce wing. If you see my post up top it has the high downforce wing and low downforce wing they tested in FP.
I was talking more in terms of setup i.e. more rear wing angle than they normally would. This similar benefits to the old f-duct rear wings, it's just nowhere near as effective.

SiLo

Diesel wrote:
19 May 2021, 16:17
SiLo wrote:
19 May 2021, 12:48
Diesel wrote:
I was talking more in terms of setup i.e. more rear wing angle than they normally would. This similar benefits to the old f-duct rear wings, it's just nowhere near as effective.
I understand what you mean. That's what I was sort of getting at previously. In other years they have traditionally run less wing as they have good downforce but still lacked in straight line speed. Maybe they will revert to that.
Felipe Baby!

Steven
Owner

By large majority, it's decided the rear wing flex is to be discussed in its dedicated topic.
Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

Thanks to those who gave their input!

Morteza

Via @SomersF1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

Shark toothed diffuser flaps.

Basically increasing the effective size of the flaps. A bit more drag but should be OK for Monaco.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

aerofoilf1

marcush

Red Bull seems to run their steering geometry with no or minimum anti-ackerman so far : the inside front steering lock looks almost paralell to the outside wheel.
I cannot remember when I last saw this .
With no tyre data available and no other car pics for comparison this comes as a total surprise ,tyres have a specific
response characteristic to a given vertical load you will always need a specific slip angle to optimise grip....Red Bull deliberately throwing away inside front grip of the less loaded inside front wheel?

aerofoilf1

zioture

Today Quali #MonacoGP

SmallSoldier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu

marcush wrote:
22 May 2021, 08:31
Red Bull seems to run their steering geometry with no or minimum anti-ackerman so far : the inside front steering lock looks almost paralell to the outside wheel.
I cannot remember when I last saw this .
With no tyre data available and no other car pics for comparison this comes as a total surprise ,tyres have a specific
response characteristic to a given vertical load you will always need a specific slip angle to optimise grip....Red Bull deliberately throwing away inside front grip of the less loaded inside front wheel?
I’m fairly certain that both Red Bulls were picking up the inside front wheel at the hairpin on Sunday (really three-wheeling!), not something you see the other teams doing...
Not something that I have seen done deliberately on any F1 car that I can recall.
Saloons & rally cars (particularly older rear-drive ones), yes, but not on a purpose designed race-car.
It is something that I looked at when designing an dirt oval car many years ago, I figured that done correctly it would be worth lap-time as it would allow fairly significant corner cutting...
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

PhillipM

Happened a lot on purposed designed race cars. Happened a lot on the Mclarens as well in F1, back when they were using a lot of offset on the steering arms in the days Hamilton was there (long before everyone went nuts about Mercs 'POU' breakthrough :wink: ) - Renault and Ferrari before that, hell I think I even remember it happening on Arrows decades ago.

marcush

Inside wheel lift =zero vertical force =50(!)%of front grip not available .
That is generally not a good idea ,but :
working the outside tyre harder ,to his maximum capacity will definetly help tyre temps ! especially on a cold day , you will get more core temperature quicker into the tyre by doing this .This might well be their workaround to switch on the soft tyres (make the rear suspension soft , until the car really lifts the inside front on entry , work the outside front really hard and you have a decent chance not to run into graining issues on the,soft compounds .
I never thought Newey would steal my
super soft tyre setups for cold days ...😂
and use it in Monaco...