Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes W12

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SiLo

Interesting, usually the bring their upgrade package to this race.
Felipe Baby!

zibby43

zibby43

via Motorsport:

High-downforce RW:

Car going to scrutineering without nose/FW attached:

Front suspension:

F1Krof

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
06 May 2021, 15:11

Amus reports no upgrades for merc this weekend
This truly leads to one conclusion: they do believe they have a beast underneath, they just have to awaken it!

I'm a bit disappointed, I was expecting something substantial for Spanish GP.
Wroom wroom

zibby43

F1Krof wrote:
07 May 2021, 00:48

This truly leads to one conclusion: they do believe they have a beast underneath, they just have to awaken it!

Probably more suited for the team thread, but Hamilton has alluded several times to the fact that the car has potential, and that they're understanding the car better lap-by-lap.

As to the hardware itself, we've already seen a steady trickle of Merc-like optimizations to the diffuser and rear of the floor. They've also played around with different rear-wing configurations, and brought their high-downforce RW (which I'm sure we saw in testing at some point) to Barcelona for the first time.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
07 May 2021, 00:59
F1Krof wrote:

Probably more suited for the team thread, but Hamilton has alluded several times to the fact that the car has potential, and that they're understanding the car better lap-by-lap.

As to the hardware itself, we've already seen a steady trickle of Merc-like optimizations to the diffuser and rear of the floor. They've also played around with different rear-wing configurations, and brought their high-downforce RW (which I'm sure we saw in testing at some point) to Barcelona for the first time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't see a front Wing from Mercedes today did we?
197 104 103 7

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
07 May 2021, 01:13
zibby43 wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't see a front Wing from Mercedes today did we?
You are correct. Only shot I could see with the nose attached was that third one I included above of the front suspension. It’s been a very long time since we’ve seen any tweaks to that area.

DarthPlagueisTheVise

dans79 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
F1Krof wrote:

We did actually, though I cannot find any front facing pictures
Technical Noob

zibby43

Although AMuS reported nothing new, Sam Collins said there were a few new bits on the F1 Weekend Warmup show.

Didn’t say what. So, conflicting reports.

zibby43

07 May 2021, 02:55
dans79 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

though I cannot find any front facing pictures
https://klasresim.com/i/QH3S7
I think that’s what he was referring to. Shots where it’s clearly visible.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
07 May 2021, 03:36
07 May 2021, 02:55
dans79 wrote:

though I cannot find any front facing pictures
https://klasresim.com/i/QH3S7
I think that’s what he was referring to. Shots where it’s clearly visible.
yea, so we could actually see what it looks like!
197 104 103 7

tangodjango

zibby43 wrote:
07 May 2021, 03:35
Although AMuS reported nothing new, Sam Collins said there were a few new bits on the F1 Weekend Warmup show.

Didn’t say what. So, conflicting reports.
He also said Ferrari had moved to a split turbo architecture for this year when they haven't.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

atanatizante

At Portimao, both Merc drivers ran a different RW in the race.

Can we conclude that the delta speed between HAM`s DRS opened low DF rear wing was almost 23km/h higher than BOT`s without DRS high DF rear wing?

Furthermore, at the same RW setup, DF levels and so forth which is the car`s delta speed between running with an open and a closed DRS wing?

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

michl420

23 is realistic but maybe one had a tow and the other not, or one use the overtake button and the other not.The only way to see this is in a practice session when you pick 2 laps without a tow. Also the effect is different on each car. At mercedes I would say 18-23 kph, maybe more.