Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
El Scorchio

Re: Mercedes W12

SuperCNJ wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:27
El Scorchio wrote:
12 May 2021, 17:19
Whoever mentioned the shark fin- that was really interesting too. The Bull one is absolutely static while the Merc one is really oscillating.
I'm not convinced that the movement in the merc shark fin is intended. I think it's a result of having such a tall and thin cantilevered "panel" compared to other cars such as the RB. There is just not enough stiffness in such a tall and thin piece to prevent it "wobbling" in the wind.
I think so too. I expect the other teams with a larger shark fin probably get the same effect. And I can't see having it move around is advantageous at all- surely it's spraying turbulent air onto the rear wing. (But then I'm really no expert in that sort of matter.)

PhillipM

El Scorchio wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:35
I think so too. I expect the other teams with a larger shark fin probably get the same effect. And I can't see having it move around is advantageous at all- surely it's spraying turbulent air onto the rear wing. (But then I'm really no expert in that sort of matter.)
They're all shedding vortices from the back of the shark fin there, you just don't see the panel move on the RB because it's much shorter and stiffer.

DarthPlagueisTheVise

Technical Noob

zibby43

High-downforce RW and t-wing setup; Merc bottom right

Thunder

Seriously, why would one think asking about a Bike in the Background is ok to ask in this Thread? :wtf:

Ask such things in the Team Threads please. Posts have been moved.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SiLo

Merc rear wing activator is quite a lot larger than the other teams, wonder why?
Felipe Baby!

LM10

SiLo wrote:
20 May 2021, 14:11

Merc rear wing activator is quite a lot larger than the other teams, wonder why?
Look at Alfa Romeo's.

RZS10

The thin ones appear to be connected to the wing at the back whilst the fatter ones aren't, that is if my eyes aren't deceiving me....

mkay

Toto told Sky they're mostly focusing on 2022 and that the W12 will only receive small tweaks going forward.

erudite450

mkay wrote:
20 May 2021, 16:01
Toto told Sky they're mostly focusing on 2022 and that the W12 will only receive small tweaks going forward.
Let the mind games begin!

djones

Given we have seen next to no updates, yet the car is getting faster and faster (forget whatever happens in this race, it’s a strange place) I think what Toto is saying might not actually be lies.

Add in their main competitor losing time with the wing testing and his confidence in the interview seems to be based on a solid foundation.

LM10

djones wrote:
20 May 2021, 23:48
Given we have seen next to no updates, yet the car is getting faster and faster (forget whatever happens in this race, it’s a strange place) I think what Toto is saying might not actually be lies.

Add in their main competitor losing time with the wing testing and his confidence in the interview seems to be based on a solid foundation.
RedBull will surely keep developing their car at least until summer break, as per Marko. Development from then onwards will depend on the standings and their performance relative to Mercedes. If RedBull gets significantly faster, at some point Mercedes will need to make a spicy final decision.
If Mercedes is sure of RedBulls rear wing giving them a significant advantage then it's no wonder they're pushing for it to be banned and might even go to lengths to protest and end up in the ICA. They want to weaken their opponents without having to greatly develop their car and save resources for 2022 instead. Last year they didn't bother at all.

Big Tea

Is there a difference between 'developing' and 'refining'?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Did anyone ever find out where the tokens were spent on the W12?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 May 2021, 10:41
Did anyone ever find out where the tokens were spent on the W12?
Still a mystery, I think! Or at least if not a mystery, no-one has confirmed where.