Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes W12

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 12:47
https://resmim.net/i/WprAx
And correct me if I am wrong but I think these are new
Old - those are Qualcomm data antennas

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Lewis's car has the low df-double pylon wing (It was a single pylon high df wing yesterday)
Technical Noob

holeindalip
holeindalip

mantikos wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 17:02
DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 12:47
https://resmim.net/i/WprAx
And correct me if I am wrong but I think these are new
Old - those are Qualcomm data antennas
Not antennas, just turning vanes that have been on the car since the renders on page one....

zibby43
zibby43

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

So, if Merc isn't gonna develop this car, they can say bye bye to the championship.
Seriously how is this possible?? Not a single development since Imola.
Incredible.

f1rules
f1rules

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

No wonder the Mercs couldn't O/T them on the straights, even with DRS.

Seems to me RB has made another step forward whilst Merc seemingly has stood relatively still?

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

The question on my mind is why have they not just changed the operation of the button instead. E.g. a double click to turn it on or may be hold it for 3 secs? Seems to me a shroud around the button can still be accidentally pressed?

dans79

SuperCNJ wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 16:28

Seems to me RB has made another step forward whilst Merc seemingly has stood relatively still?
Merc was faster in sector 1 & 3 for most of the race, RBR was faster in sector 2. The problem was Merc didn't use that to their advantage enough during the race.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

SuperCNJ wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 16:31
The question on my mind is why have they not just changed the operation of the button instead. E.g. a double click to turn it on or may be hold it for 3 secs? Seems to me a shroud around the button can still be accidentally pressed?
That's probably a bit too time-intensive considering the speeds involved and the already high driver workload in the cockpit.

In Baku, I think Hamilton may have *hit* the button from the side at just the right angle to depress and activate it. By adding the shroud that effectively recesses the button from the angle he hit it, it should prevent this from happening again.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SuperCNJ wrote:

I think we're seeing the result of the floor rule change. Mercedes have to run the bigger wing to compensate for the loss from the floor. Red Bull don't need to so they can get away with a smaller wing. It's only Mercedes excellent PU that's keeping them near Red Bull. They can live with that drag for most circuits. Monza, for example, should be a Red Bull 1-2 on that basis.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 00:19
SuperCNJ wrote:

I think we're seeing the result of the floor rule change. Mercedes have to run the bigger wing to compensate for the loss from the floor. Red Bull don't need to so they can get away with a smaller wing. It's only Mercedes excellent PU that's keeping them near Red Bull. They can live with that drag for most circuits. Monza, for example, should be a Red Bull 1-2 on that basis.
Monza requires such an extreme low-drag setup from the teams that I expect Mercedes to be quite strong there, actually.

For example, even in 2019, when Ferrari had a tremendous straight-line speed advantage through both car philosphy and their PU, Mercedes were right there in quali and obviously right there in the race.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 01:13
Just_a_fan wrote:
SuperCNJ wrote:

Monza requires such an extreme low-drag setup from the teams that I expect Mercedes to be quite strong there, actually.

For example, even in 2019, when Ferrari had a tremendous straight-line speed advantage through both car philosphy and their PU, Mercedes were right there in quali and obviously right there in the race.
But can Red Bull, with a small wing, generate more downforce than Mercedes with a small wing? That's the issue. If they can, then they'll win because they'll be quick on the straights and be able to carry more speed through the few corners. Win, win.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 01:34
zibby43 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

But can Red Bull, with a small wing, generate more downforce than Mercedes with a small wing? That's the issue. If they can, then they'll win because they'll be quick on the straights and be able to carry more speed through the few corners. Win, win.
When they’re both trimmed out to the maximum vs. having to try to pick sectors like France, that deficit really shrinks. We’ll see though!

WaikeCU

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 01:34
zibby43 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I think they can, because of the level of rake the RB generally has. I think it has one of the most rake of all cars around. I think the W12 wasn't a car designed to apply big amounts of rake, but they kinda have to put more rake on the car now to compensate the loss of aero at the backside of the car. It's not ideal that's for sure.

I'm thinking if the RB loses any rake on straightline speed, bc the car squatting on its suspension causing the floor to become flatter and even to the track surface.