Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ryaan2904

Re: Ferrari SF21

codetower wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 16:17
Question regarding the tyre degradation issues in the SF21: The team say they still haven't solved the issue, yet the car/tyres seem to be performing much better since France. Have the drivers made any significant changes to their driving styles to help with the tyres? If the team hasn't "fixed" the problem, they definitely have improved it quite a bit.
When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..
CFD Eyes of Sauron

codetower

ryaan2904 wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 19:07
codetower wrote:
Question regarding the tyre degradation issues in the SF21: The team say they still haven't solved the issue, yet the car/tyres seem to be performing much better since France. Have the drivers made any significant changes to their driving styles to help with the tyres? If the team hasn't "fixed" the problem, they definitely have improved it quite a bit.
When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..
There was a quote from Leclerc over at scuderiafans that the team has not yet solved the tyre issues from france despite the strong British finish.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-have-n ... lverstone/

hape

ryaan2904 wrote:
codetower wrote:
And we don’t know the influence that comes from the new rear tyres. Might be small difference but over race distance it can be substantial if it helps one team but is a disadvantage for the other.

ryaan2904

codetower wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 19:19
ryaan2904 wrote:
codetower wrote:
There was a quote from Leclerc over at scuderiafans that the team has not yet solved the tyre issues from france despite the strong British finish.

This is worrying :oops:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

hape wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 20:12
ryaan2904 wrote:
codetower wrote:
And we don’t know the influence that comes from the new rear tyres. Might be small difference but over race distance it can be substantial if it helps one team but is a disadvantage for the other.
Yea i think they helped Ferrari out too. Lets see what happens in hungary, that'll be a confirmation.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1316

ryaan2904 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 07:27
codetower wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 19:19
ryaan2904 wrote:

This is worrying :oops:
I’d say the opposite: if the performance can be as good as it was without having solved the issue, it’s great news to see that they expect a further step once they fully understand the issue.

FerrariF60

by the time they solve the issue.....seasons over....that's how fast ferrari gets on top of things

codetower

FerrariF60 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 03:13
by the time they solve the issue.....seasons over....that's how fast ferrari gets on top of things
Ha! Well, considering how they've gone from tearing up the tires and dropping hard out of the top 10, to a podium finish in about a month, I'd say they are pretty fast.

JPower

Ferrari knows what the problem is ie front axle slip and the car not putting enough energy into its front tires. They just won't be able to do anything this season beyond minimizing its issues through setup.

F1NAC

Wasn't there a mention of a issue with rim design which is homologated or something this season and cannot be changed?

hape

F1NAC wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 14:14
Wasn't there a mention of a issue with rim design which is homologated or something this season and cannot be changed?
Yes, was in an interview with Binotto. Apparently the rims can not be redesigned this year.

godlameroso

New rear tires are easier to keep in the window, this helps out at front because you can force a little bit more slip angle on the rear axle without roasting the tires. This helps if you have a little understeer at the front axle, but it changes driving style slightly. Nothing the drivers can't adapt to in a few laps.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904

godlameroso wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 16:15
New rear tires are easier to keep in the window, this helps out at front because you can force a little bit more slip angle on the rear axle without roasting the tires. This helps if you have a little understeer at the front axle, but it changes driving style slightly. Nothing the drivers can't adapt to in a few laps.
Helps out leclerc anyways since he prefers oversteery cars
CFD Eyes of Sauron

godlameroso

ryaan2904 wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 17:22
godlameroso wrote:
If it's like what I'm experiencing with a certain tire I'm using, it's that the relationship between throttle and rear axle rotation is a bit more "transparent". Like the older tire had more contact patch deflection so the peak grip loss was more sudden because it wasn't just slip it was the contact patch shrinking as well.

In other words the path that leads to total grip loss has fewer brush and cobwebs in the way, it's more defined, so to speak. So it lets you hang out the rear end just a little bit more, and this is especially useful in say turn 5 and 9 in Hungary.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904

godlameroso wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 17:29
ryaan2904 wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 17:22
godlameroso wrote:
If it's like what I'm experiencing with a certain tire I'm using, it's that the relationship between throttle and rear axle rotation is a bit more "transparent". Like the older tire had more contact patch deflection so the peak grip loss was more sudden because it wasn't just slip it was the contact patch shrinking as well.

In other words the path that leads to total grip loss has fewer brush and cobwebs in the way, it's more defined, so to speak. So it lets you hang out the rear end just a little bit more, and this is especially useful in say turn 5 and 9 in Hungary.
Nice read =D>
CFD Eyes of Sauron