New generation of Formula 1 2022 and beyond car will remain utilize the old roll-hoop FOM onboard camera

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

New generation of Formula 1 2022 and beyond car will remain utilize the old roll-hoop FOM onboard camera

The up-close and personal of Formula 1 2022 car.

Despite the generational change of Formula 1 cars from 2022 season onwards, the traditional FOM roll-hoop onboard camera will remain unchanged that has been used since 1998 until present. Because of roll-hoop FOM onboard camera unchanged next year, Formula 1 has no intention to change the new revolutionary 360-degree FOM onboard camera in the future.

The FOM roll-hoop onboard camera.

Your opinions?
Last edited by theriusDR3 on 24 Aug 2021, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

maxxer
maxxer

Re: New generation of Formula 1 2022 and beyond car will remain utilize the old roll-hoop FOM onboard camera

In this day and age , bit sad to not use the chance to try new things

BassVirolla

Re: New generation of Formula 1 2022 and beyond car will remain utilize the old roll-hoop FOM onboard camera

I dislike the 360 camera, it quite eliminates the speed sensation in screen. For me, the roll hoop camera is fine.

jjn9128

I hate the rotating camera in Indy car. And the 360deg chassis camera is too fisheyed. There might be a better solution but neither of those.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

theriusDR3
theriusDR3

BassVirolla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:12
I dislike the 360 camera, it quite eliminates the speed sensation in screen. For me, the roll hoop camera is fine.
I agree with you! Let 360-degree camera for IndyCar, NASCAR and others!

agip

I dont mind the 360 thing but please:

- place it in the middle, not on the left side.
- increase the FOV. Current configuration makes the car look slow

Zynerji

Id rather see the 360 bubble camera placed right in front of the front pitot tube so we can see the interlocking wheel-to-wheel action on either side. Most of those cameras are software defined, as it just snips out the relevant part of the picture from the fish-eye camera, and flattens the image. Some software does that better than others.

https://hackaday.com/2010/06/24/unwrapp ... ree-video/

I'm SUPER surprised that all onboard cameras are not "sponsored bespoke products". I bet Apple and Samsung would have some killer options to present if a tender was opened!

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

They need to fix the focal length to get a better sense of speed. Also adjust the FPS.

Like this feels infinitely faster, despite going a lot slower:

Nicola Canepa's videos have a great sensation of speed:

jjn9128

Hoffman900 wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 15:40
They need to fix the focal length to get a better sense of speed. Also adjust the FPS.

Man that Long Beach video looks fast because the drivers are all barley hanging on :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mzso
mzso

maxxer wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:10
I can't see why couldn't they experiment with things regardless of large regulation changes.
To me its even sadder that random GoPro footages on youtube look better than F1 onboard cameras...
I want proper UHD footage.

What I would also like to have is between eye cameras. The sort that Grosjean/Gasly trialed, and similar to what Alonso had in Belgium. But with proper image stabilization. And mounted to the helmet instead of a glasses frame which no-one would tolerate long.

mzso
mzso

Hoffman900 wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:
I have doubts whether these have to do with focal length.
The motorbike one in particular get close to the kerbs, the ground and is shacking a lot.

Mogster

mzso wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 00:02
maxxer wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 10:10
I can't see why couldn't they experiment with things regardless of large regulation changes.
To me its even sadder that random GoPro footages on youtube look better than F1 onboard cameras...
I want proper UHD footage.

What I would also like to have is between eye cameras. The sort that Grosjean/Gasly trialed, and similar to what Alonso had in Belgium. But with proper image stabilization. And mounted to the helmet instead of a glasses frame which no-one would tolerate long.
You have to upload all that data in real time though, from several cameras on each car. FOM said that the helmet camera replaced one of the other onboard cameras for bandwidth reasons, bandwidth was the reason for the relatively low res also.

mzso
mzso

Mogster wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 16:32
You have to upload all that data in real time though, from several cameras on each car. FOM said that the helmet camera replaced one of the other onboard cameras for bandwidth reasons, bandwidth was the reason for the relatively low res also.
Indeed. But if anyone can afford more bandwidth it's F1. From all those damned billions, they could affor a few million for extra wireless antennas.

Furthermore, a few terabytes of flash storage is size nothing these days. They could add somr to each camera, and record everything lightly compressed, in high quality.

nzjrs

mzso wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 19:34
Indeed. But if anyone can afford more bandwidth it's F1. From all those damned billions, they could affor a few million for extra wireless antennas.
My phone was one of those old 2G Nokia brick phones and I wasnt happy with the bandwidth so I went and bought 17 or 18 antennas and stuck them all over the case. It's at 7G speed right now and supplies internet to the neighborhood schools.

dans79

jjn9128 wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 12:05
I hate the rotating camera in Indy car. And the 360deg chassis camera is too fisheyed. There might be a better solution but neither of those.
If the the lens has been properly profiled, the distortion can be corrected via processing before transmission.
197 104 103 7