Formula 1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot difference (refuelling era and refuelling-ban era)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
theriusDR3

Formula 1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot difference (refuelling era and refuelling-ban era)

The F1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot since the refuelling era

The F1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot since the refuelling-ban era.

During the refuelling era, the F1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot was larger due to larger fuel hose. But since the refuelling ban, the F1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot was made multiple due to smaller fuel hose.

Your thoughts?

Rodak

Re: Formula 1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot difference (refuelling era and refuelling-ban era)

Yep, it's smaller. Why would that be? Hmmmm.

Big Tea

Re: Formula 1 car fuel buckeye filler hole slot difference (refuelling era and refuelling-ban era)

Rodak wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 17:03
Is there not a reduced rate of flow for filling?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 17:32
Rodak wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 17:03
Is there not a reduced rate of flow for filling?
No need for rapid filling, would be my guess.
The interesting bit for me is the FIA connection….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan

The FIA connector will be for them to take their samples, presumably.

I assume the LH side, RH side ports are vents for filling. Unless the tank is actually split in two.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Baulz

The other difference is in the refuelling era they had a buckeye on both sides of the car to accommodate different pit lane layouts.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 18:15

I assume the LH side, RH side ports are vents for filling. Unless the tank is actually split in two.
Exactly my thoughts, I just wondered why they need a unique coupling for it and if so, how on earth did AM fall foul of the fuel sample test?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 19:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 18:15

Exactly my thoughts, I just wondered why they need a unique coupling for it and if so, how on earth did AM fall foul of the fuel sample test?
I guess it drops down to a specific pot in the tank designed to contain the fuel for sampling. But they had a leak of some sort and so used all of the fuel including the stuff in the "sample pot".

scarbs

Since refuelling was banned, teams went back to smaller filler bulkheads. They can be smaller as the large spec refuelling port isnt required and refill times can be longer. Some are even smaller than the Toro Rosso one pictured (that's my picture by the way thanks for the credit).
The tank still has left and right filler ports, but only one is set up with the connectors, to correspond to the side of the of garage the fuel scales are positioned.
The left and right connectors are to drain the tank, as as the hybrid battery and safety data recorder tend to sit under the tank along the centre line, thus the very bottom of the tank tends to be split left to right.
The fill connector is as you would expect, pipework runs up to the top of the tank to allow it to be filled to the brim.
The FIA connector reaches down into the fuel collector, where the 1L sample needs to be taken. It's taken from the Collector as in theory it should always be full with over 1l of fuel, this also saves the FIA having to scavenge fuel from the very bottom of the fuel tank itself.

Just_a_fan

Thanks for the info scarbs. =D>