Mercedes W13 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wogx

Re: Mercedes W13 Speculation Thread

Maybe that's not the best topic for it, but this concept is still far more interesting than a photoshoped FIA 22' model that we've got from Mercedes earlier this year. You won't get anything reliable until at least the first part of testing. There is no reason to be so querulous in the middle of January
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

geraldix

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 19:23
jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 17:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 17:07
Gentlemen. If I may have your attention.

It is that time of the year again for innovation leaks. As usual my sources, which shallnot be named, hint at a revival of the old ways for the new Mercedes W13 suspension.

With the banning of the rear 3rd spring assembly for 2022, Mercedes designers have frantically adapted their tried and true, secretly raced, but never identified, liquid metal suspension control system. Aka the Mercury Suspension.

Some of you may remember that this system uses g-forces with the high density of mercury in small metal lines to "water-hammer" small hydraulic switches to raise, lower or stiffen the ride of the car in a passively pregrommaned manner.

Yes! Sources say it will be raced again this year at a few tracks. Mind you, some say it was used in Turkey and Brazil last year. We don't know for sure but this systems "diva" behaviour again is a sign.

Of course you know this is extreme speculation and it's not advised to discuss it at any length here so I will say no more; just something to keep in mind.. 8)
have they banned 3rd element? I thought they'd banned hydraulic dampers?!
:mrgreen: Ah! Smart man! You saw through it quickly!

If I had said "hydraulic suspension banned" and "mecury suspension" together the joke would be shot down really fast :lol: so did my best diversion there with the the third spring. Bravo.

Mercury suspension is an annual running joke to motivate some creative discussion in the speculation threads. Speculation threads used to be where mighty creative ideas came out about what the next loophole could be. It's a good way to get forumers interested in the tech regs.

Side pod-wings
Radiative floors
Octopus exhaust
Dead-zone
Double side pods
Auto-gyro's gearbox ( remember that guy?)

Were some of the things explored in the past that sorta made their way into actual cars.

The Mercury suspension joke is effectively killed this year with the ban on Hydraulic suspension for 2022. No more loop-hole for it. It can finally be laid to rest. :mrgreen:
Good one! But talking seriously now, I have a source of my own that assured me the W13 is gonna feature LOADS of ellipses in its design. Ellipses everywhere!

jjn9128

geraldix wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 22:18
Good one! But talking seriously now, I have a source of my own that assured me the W13 is gonna feature LOADS of ellipses in its design. Ellipses everywhere!
More like French curves everywhere
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

cooken

Clearly ellipses don't work on GT cars....

I'd wager teams will be pushing the boundaries with suspension design. The rules have closed in, but given the suspected (increased?) importance of a stable aero platform I'm expecting clever tricks. Merc have been operating in this paradigm for several years now so I certainly expect W13 to be the subject of much discussion again in this area. Mercury notwithstanding.

PlatinumZealot

I think the advantage of hydraulic suspension was mostly packaging since you could interlink the corners with lines. The other hydrualic mechanisms can be built into the damper bodies I think but things will be bulkier to mechnically link certain motions together without the hydraulic lines. I really need to read the details but I am assuming the lines alone are banned? Are hydraulic dampers banned too?

:?: i suppose you could have a series of cams on the bell-cranks and rockers/followers feeding the inputs into of a hydraulic/pneumatic box. All of this would be close together under the gearbox alleviating the ban on hydraulic lines. The control box would be a fancy damper basically, but one that offers more space for "programming" than inside a the typical shock with the small discs and valves.

Mercedes have shown competence in their hydraulic design over the years with the FRIC and the DAS so we can expect them to have something really creative here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

Jolle wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 17:33
Blackout wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 17:29
Jolle wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 17:14
The W13 will be the first real new design while INEOS is part of the team (as an owner). This will mean that material knowledge of stuff where a F1 car is build of, has grown beyond what any team on the grid has access to. I wonder if we will see this influence.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... logo18.png
True that Enstone has DuPont as a partner, but not as an owner ;-) plus, they have been partners for years… without any succes.
Nope they are partners only since 2019, and at the end of that year they've frozen their chassis and engine to fully focus on 2022. But they used advanced Dupont products in their MGUs and ES.
Without any success? hard to know to what extent their partnership has been successful, but the fact they raced a very competitive and reliable PU in 2020 despite the minor changes and fought for P3 with a 2 years old chassis, suggest they had some success, and those materials might have played a part in it : )

west52keep64

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 3834414081

Looks like it could actually be a picture of the W13!

west52keep64

Enhanced:

Actually, I think it's just the show car again :(

_cerber1

jjn9128

west52keep64 wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 12:43
Enhanced:
https://i.imgur.com/9aods8E.jpeg

Actually, I think it's just the show car again :(
Definitely. They're getting maximum mileage out of it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

SiLo

I'm excited about seeing the car, but the regulations are so strict now it might be very underwhelming.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 15:21
I'm excited about seeing the car, but the regulations are so strict now it might be very underwhelming.
Same. I'm worried that a lot of the cars are going to be almost identical and that from an engineering point of view it's going to become quite generic and dull. I hope there's a lot for the teams to learn and explore.

AeroDynamic

Some other insights supposedly about the W13 development, who is presiding over its development. Seems to be James Allison is still overviewing it’s development but probably more from afar?

Caveat- it’s translated from Italian. The full article covers Mercedes’ engine development insights, below is more rumour about the chassis?

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... o/7414303/

The Stella enters the new era of ground-effect single-seaters with the awareness of counting on engine supremacy. The M13 E Performance power unit will feature a new supercharging system which is the result of the experience brought by a new German engineer. At the chassis level, however, there is some more doubt about the choice of the wheelbase that will be close to the 3,600 mm limit.

Mercedes has a certainty and a doubt. The doubt, of course, does not concern whether Lewis Hamilton will be in his place at the wheel of the W13 or not, given that the hepta-champion, despite the "wall of silence" erected after the contested final in Abu Dhabi, will be regularly in his place. .

The certainty concerns the new power unit that will be homologated before the Bahrain GP and which will represent the strength of the W13, the ground-effect single-seater that will be presented on February 18 in streaming.

The car should be the first project curated by Mike Elliot, in reality the technical director has James Allison as "tutor", also involved in the study of the America's Cup sailing boat, but fully involved in the F1 ground effect single-seater.

The change of rules has forced the drawing of a new car from a white sheet that no longer has anything to do with the W12. Brackley's team, at the beginning of last summer, had seconded all the technical staff on this year's car, blocking the development of the car that was in contention for the world championship.

The FIA ​​regulations require a wheelbase between 3,400 and 3,600 millimeters: the maximum wheelbase is about 17 cm shorter than the 2021 car, but one of the challenges of the ground-effect cars will be precisely to find the right distance between the wheels.

A short wheelbase favors an agile car in transients and with a tendency to reach a minimum weight of 793 kg (43 kg more than last year!), With a little ballast, but there is no doubt that a little surface is given up. of the Venturi tubes and, therefore, you pay in terms of downforce.

The difficulty will lie in finding the right compromise. Our feeling is that the Mercedes is approaching the maximum value of the wheelbase, relying on the simulation of the rear steering wheels, to find that agility in the transients. We have to wait less than a month and we will know how things will be ...

F1Krof

Are they allowed to run a cape under the nose as they were doing until now?
Wroom wroom

DiogoBrand

F1Krof wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 23:14
Are they allowed to run a cape under the nose as they were doing until now?
Also I wonder. Will it still have a purpose? Was it not designed to work with the Y250 vortex?