Mercedes W13 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: Mercedes W13 Speculation Thread

DiogoBrand wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 01:23
F1Krof wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 23:14
Are they allowed to run a cape under the nose as they were doing until now?
Also I wonder. Will it still have a purpose? Was it not designed to work with the Y250 vortex?
Won't they be useful directing as much air as possible to the Venturi tunnel intakes where the sidepod extravaganza used to be?
Wroom wroom

SiLo

F1Krof wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 13:58
DiogoBrand wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 23:14
Are they allowed to run a cape under the nose as they were doing until now?
Also I wonder. Will it still have a purpose? Was it not designed to work with the Y250 vortex?
Won't they be useful directing as much air as possible to the Venturi tunnel intakes where the sidepod extravaganza used to be?
I'm sure I saw something about the capes being banned? Might fall into the area where the barge boards are?
Felipe Baby!

Stu

SiLo wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 15:30
F1Krof wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

I'm sure I saw something about the capes being banned? Might fall into the area where the barge boards are?
Not banned per-se but technically so due to the minimum radius rules for bodywork. The ‘tea tray’ area has also been affected by this.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

SiLo

Stu wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 18:18
SiLo wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 15:30
F1Krof wrote:

Not banned per-se but technically so due to the minimum radius rules for bodywork. The ‘tea tray’ area has also been affected by this.
That's the one, thanks Stu.
Felipe Baby!

Henri

Who is the chief aero guy at merc since allison and aldo costa have left ?.. is lorenzo sassi still part of the engine team ?

Holm86

Henri wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 08:35
Who is the chief aero guy at merc since allison and aldo costa have left ?.. is lorenzo sassi still part of the engine team ?
Mike Elliott

AeroDynamic

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but, can someone tell me what potential degree of benefit the squatting-no-rake engineering Mercedes deployed last year, May hold for the new ‘22 cars?

I understand the effect it had on the old cars but would this work the same, worse, or better, in theory, with these new ground effect cars? Like, would these new ‘22 cars push all times to adopt high rake with shorter wheel bases, or would it push more teams to adopt for long wheel base and low rake? Or is it unchanged and both philosophies could prove equally competitive?

I know it’s just speculation probably but I’d really value some opinions on this, especially from the most tech savvy users, thanks!

PlatinumZealot

I think we will still see teams trying to run a high rake to get more expansion from the venturi tunnel, but they will have a greater challenge in "sealing" the sides due to the higher air flow expected under the floor. Those cars will still have more drag though. Mercedes might still yet go with low rake if the numbers show that philosphy is still viable.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 14:53
I think we will still see teams trying to run a high rake to get more expansion from the venturi tunnel, but they will have a greater challenge in "sealing" the sides due to the higher air flow expected under the floor. Those cars will still have more drag though. Mercedes might still yet go with low rake if the numbers show that philosphy is still viable.
Plus they won't have the huge amount of vortex creating and management surfaces in the barge board and floor area either. I think high rake will be a real challenge, but there will still be some degree of rake (pun intended).
Felipe Baby!

Giando

Do you remember when back in 2017 (or 2018?) Mercedes brought a (relatively simple) bodywork version for the first test session and then came up with a completely new one for the last test before the start of the season?

Would it be possible this year to see Merc (or other teams) do something like that or it would be complete nonsense given the small amount of time allowed for testing?

SiLo

Giando wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 15:03
Do you remember when back in 2017 (or 2018?) Mercedes brought a (relatively simple) bodywork version for the first test session and then came up with a completely new one for the last test before the start of the season?

Would it be possible this year to see Merc (or other teams) do something like that or it would be complete nonsense given the small amount of time allowed for testing?
I think considering how big the changes are, the teams will want as much track time as possible to help understand the car and correlate wind tunnel data. With the reduction in wind tunnel time, having good correlation becomes so much more important.
Felipe Baby!

Holm86

Giando wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 15:03

I don't think that feasible with the budget cap

De Jokke

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I thought low rake was the way to go for 2022?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

LM10

De Jokke wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 15:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thinking of the venturi effect it seems to be the best to have the underbody as near to the track as possible. That’s also what Newey told. Don’t know how high rake is playing into that.

Big Tea

De Jokke wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 15:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
As a higher rake (in effect) alters the 'pressure' along the underfloor, does the rake angle 'move' the C.O.G with speed?

(Edit, is it still C.O.G with downforce?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.