McLaren MCL36 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
west52keep64

Re: McLaren MCL36 Speculation Thread

I doubt they would be finishing the parts like this with the car fully assembled. It's probably just something else on the workbench.

Those metal stays/supports seem much larger and beefier than what we've seen on front wings in the past. Check out the ones on last year's car:

BlueCheetah66

The more I look at that still of what might be the front wing the more confused I get because it doesn't actually look like the front wing and I cant think of what else it might be

west52keep64

Another observation on those stays, they are completely fixed. Looking at last year's wing, they have a small pivot to allow the wing to be adjusted.

PhillipM

Still looks like the rear diffuser and brake winglets but it could be a red herring and just repairs to one of last years front wings with the outer tunnel I guess.

west52keep64

I went back to the video and it's a bit easier to make out some of the profiles with the movement of the engineers hand and the movement of the camera. This is what I was able to make out:

west52keep64

I think this is actually the MCL35 (last year's car) bargeboard:

bosyber

west52keep64 wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:09

https://i.imgur.com/knvpd2W.png
That's an interesting point, good call as there seems a close match there with those two solid metal fasteners doesn't it?!

SiLo

jjn9128 wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 17:28
v3rify wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 16:59
SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 16:52

A little front wing action?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202201 ... 8743e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
diffuser possibly?
Not allowed slots in the diffuser. Could be the floor edge wing, but I thought that was only 1 element.
Are they allow an extra plane above the diffuser edge? Could be that?
Felipe Baby!

SmallSoldier

west52keep64 wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:09

https://i.imgur.com/knvpd2W.png
Good catch… Quiet cheeky of McLaren to tease us with last year’s car :wtf:

Emag

Something I am wondering now, which I guess applies to all cars of these new regs.

With bargeboards gone, isn't the front wing essentially more important now (particularly, the y250 generation)?

Yes, wheel covers will help with the tire wake a bit, but there's still a huge amount of dirty air from the wheel that needs to stay away from the floor and the diffuser.

With less bodywork in the middle of the car, could we see a return of inwash front wings? It seems easier to just pull the wake inside so that it can follow the natural path of the y250 vortex towards the outside of the car, than have the wake go outside and have it managed downstream (with less bodywork available).

wogx

Can we still talk about/name it the Y250 vortex, when the neutral centre section is gone?
This mandated neutral section on the front wing was to span 250mm to either side of the middle of the nose (that is 250mm in the Y-direction of the car coordinate system). This meant that the design freedom for the aerodynamicists began at Y = 250mm. The multi-element front wings started from here.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Emag

wogx wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 16:31
Can we still talk about/name it the Y250 vortex, when the neutral centre section is gone?
This mandated neutral section on the front wing was to span 250mm to either side of the middle of the nose (that is 250mm in the Y-direction of the car coordinate system). This meant that the design freedom for the aerodynamicists began at Y = 250mm. The multi-element front wings started from here.
Force of habbit I guess, but you are right, it doesn't make sense to call it the y250 vortex.

What should we call it though? The vortex generated on the front wing to manage the tire wake seems a bit long. And the acronym vgftwm isn't any better :lol:

Stu

Emag wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 16:43
wogx wrote:
Force of habbit I guess, but you are right, it doesn't make sense to call it the y250 vortex.

What should we call it though? The vortex generated on the front wing to manage the tire wake seems a bit long. And the acronym vgftwm isn't any better :lol:
The intention of the front wing regs is to remove vortex generation; no sharp edges, wings must be joined to the nose, limits to variation of elements across their width.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Emag

Stu wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 16:47
Emag wrote:
wogx wrote:

The intention of the front wing regs is to remove vortex generation; no sharp edges, wings must be joined to the nose, limits to variation of elements across their width.
I am not very informed on what's going on. Haven't had too much time to go that deep into it. Sorry for this then, you can delete the former post I guess.

Is there any general consensus on how the tire wake will be managed now that there are no bargeboards, and apparently no vortices?

To my inexperienced mind, it seems horrible to just let the dirty air from the tires unmanaged. Wouldn't it make a huge mess for the rear-end?

Stu

Emag wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 16:52
Stu wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 16:47
Emag wrote:

I am not very informed on what's going on. Haven't had too much time to go that deep into it. Sorry for this then, you can delete the former post I guess.

Is there any general consensus on how the tire wake will be managed now that there are no bargeboards, and apparently no vortices?

To my inexperienced mind, it seems horrible to just let the dirty air from the tires unmanaged. Wouldn't it make a huge mess for the rear-end?
That is (kind of) the point with the new rules, they want to stop the out-washing of turbulence. They do have the small fin above the front tyre and wheel covers. Brakes have to be ducted inside (towards the car) now as well.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.