McLaren MCL36 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL36 Speculation Thread

Do you think the canvas hides MCL 36? Are we seeing a narrow nose?

wogx

Rectangular FWEP, I doubt it's the 22' car
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

west52keep64

It's missing the flow conditioner over the front wheels too. I also doubt they'd have the new car on the boulevard, far too many visitors walking around who could intentionally or accidentally sneak a peak. They frost the windows of the workshops around this time of year for that very reason.
Last edited by west52keep64 on 18 Jan 2022, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM

Maybe an indycar or similar under there looking at it.

BlueCheetah66

It's just the 2021 car. Its the same nose shape they used last year

SiLo

It's a month until the cars are due to be launched, any pictures you see like that are not the '22 car!
Felipe Baby!

Scalexf1

SiLo wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 11:59
It's a month until the cars are due to be launched, any pictures you see like that are not the '22 car!
Sheeted cars and blurry renders/pics are just to wet everyone’s appetite.
In reality the cars will be finished and assembled end of first week to mid February, depending on the individual teams filming day dates or testing plan.
Some teams will launch with the FIA car displaying livery only.
This is way too early.

Emag

I wonder if the fact that McLaren has competed in F1 the last time ground effect was a thing will be of any significance.

Knowing how basic aerodynamics were back then, you would be inclined to think no, but I hope the experience is somewhat useful.

bauc

Emag wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 14:16
I wonder if the fact that McLaren has competed in F1 the last time ground effect was a thing will be of any significance.

Knowing how basic aerodynamics were back then, you would be inclined to think no, but I hope the experience is somewhat useful.
If there are still people there who were part of the team, its been 40 years since the last cars with ground effect?

However, I wonder if they can just unravel a old ''dog'' from the warehouse and just see some concepts and how those worked.... ?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Jolle

bauc wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 17:26
Emag wrote:

If there are still people there who were part of the team, its been 40 years since the last cars with ground effect?

However, I wonder if they can just unravel a old ''dog'' from the warehouse and just see some concepts and how those worked.... ?
I imagine, with modern day tools and knowledge an engineer can not only understand but also greatly improve the design with a day or so with the MP4-1 in a CFD environment. Those days were more working from a theoretical theory and improve it with trial and error.

Just_a_fan

Emag wrote:

Last year's cars were all ground effect cars. Ground effect has been used in F1 since the Lotus 78. In fact, they were making use of ground effect before then but didn't realise it - a wing within a chord length of the ground will experience ground effect so the preceding cars' front wings were working in ground effect to some degree even if the designers weren't aware of it / making conscious use of it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

McFAN

Tunnel vision :wink:

mclaren111

Gearbox housing...

McFAN

Brightened up a bit.

_cerber1

They cover up the details very skillfully, I tried to see something, in vain. :?