Jordan EJ14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
elf
elf

Looks like EJ14 has a tweaked EJ13 pre-rear wheel aero design above the sidepods. Doesn't look particulary efficient. But how does it work in comparison with a 'traditional' flick-up??

SpeedTech

Irvingthien
What is that sponsor on the sidepod??Lazarus...??Is it part of the company who own Benson and Hedges?
Well to answer your question, I read this article on F1live.com.
The EJ14 bore the word 'Lazarus' on its side-pod on Tuesday.

According to the Bible, Lazarus of Bethany was taken sick, died, and was buried; but, after having lain in the grave for four days, was brought back to life.
Its supposed to meant the ressurection of JORDAN :wink:

Irvingthien

So it isn't a sponsor??? WHat a waste of paint, using a word to say their alive instead of putting sponsors on it, i'm sure benson and hedges will be mad.....or we could be on to something...those "trifoil" leaves besides the "Lazarus" and on the prongs could be the symbol of the mysterious irish investors that EJ is talking about.

SpeedTech

mmmm..... :? I haven't heard anything about new investors?? Thought they just signed another deal with Benson & Hedges.

Also Trust has announced that they will not sponsor the Jordan team if Jos is not in the cockpit.!!!! Funny thing is Nick Hiedfield has TRUST across his overalls.
RE/MAX has just resigned with Jordan as well.
Then again the reason for Benson & Hedges have got the rear wing, and front of car, might mean they haven't given as much as they used too, considering the sidepod would be expensive for a sponsor.

The car has got none of its sponsors on the car and it's officially been released. No second driver announced, Italian F3000 driver Giorgio Patano. Get's even more confusing , there is another name that has been linked to that seat, Eddie is also saying he is going to improve and will not be happy coming lower than 6th in the championship. Get's you thinking :?

There are some web sites reporting that Jordan is about to test a new nose similar to Williams'.
There are also some gossips that there is a son of one of Williams' designers working at Jordan.
Very strange !!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the twin keel concept has been dumped in favour of an R3-like (single front-twin rear wishbone mounting) front suspension design. From what I've heard the design was flawed. Why was that?
Also, what are the merits of the Jordan 'flick-up' design, that remains unique amongst all the teams?

Scuderia_Russ

I'm no aerodynamicist (understatement) but it looks to me like flick ups control the air past the rear wheel whereas the Jordan 'flick up' looks more like a downforce aid...okay,how far off the mark am i someone? :)
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Irvingthien

Looks like the twin keel concept has been dumped in favour of an R3-like (single front-twin rear wishbone mounting) front suspension design.
Jordan never used twin keel before, the fact that Eddie Jordan has fired many personnels has made it worse. They never have time to develope the car.(Except when the 3 weeks f1 break in midyear)
Those flickups, probably that their chasis cannot generate as much downforce as the McLarens, the Ferraris and the Williams do, so they need extra flick up to generate more downforce.
The only good news for them is they will be using 2004-pec Ford engine(as same as Jaguar) this year.Wonder ddo they have to pay full payments for the engine because Jordan used 02 spec engine in 03 to avoid full payments.

the 2003 Jordan had twin mountings ('keels') for the lower wishbones:

ur right - if u look closely the EJ14's rear suspension mounts are 'twin keel' for the front lower wishbones

so what we have here for the front suspension's lower wishbone mounts are twin keel (rear) and single keel (front). But wouldn't this design cause an even larger blockage of flow going under the nose?

SpeedTech

Didn't know you could apply the TWIN KEEL design to the rear of an F1 car.....mmmm... :?

From what I can see is the EJ14 has a single front keel!! As far a I can recall Jordan haven't researched or developed the twin keel on their cars.

if u look closely the EJ14's rear suspension mounts are 'twin keel' for the front lower wishbones

Actually both EJ12 and EJ13 adopted twin keel, and I think the guest wasn’t referring to the rear suspension, but to the rear mount of the lower wishbone of the front suspension (you have to brighten the image to see it cause it’s black). Each wishbone has two connection points with the car (obviously...) Apparently on EJ14, at the front, the fore point of both lower wishbones connect to a central keel, the aft point of each wishbone, on the contrary, connects to a “fin” on the side of the chassis, one per side. Just like it happened in the Jaguar R3.

Reca

Previous post was mine, problems with log in. Sorry.

elf
elf

lol this should clear things up.

EJ12 had TWIN KEEL:

EJ13 had TWIN KEEL too

EJ14 has single keel in the fore mounting and twin keel in the aft mountings, as RECA and the guest pointed out, just like the Jaguar R3 - see the pics in the above posts

scarbs

Lets this right,

EJ12 had vertical twin keels and the rear legs of the wishbone mounted on small twin keels on the edge of the chassis
EJ13 had angled twin keels and the rear legs mounted on the edge of the chassis

EJ14 has angled twin keels and the rear legs mount on the edge of the chassisoops mistyped....

EJ14 has a single keel and the rear legs mount on the edge of the chassis
Last edited by scarbs on 10 Feb 2004, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.