Ferrari F2008

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
waynes

Ferrari F2008

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41547

sneak peek

as always, i cant wait to see the Ferrari, even more so with kimi rolling back the cover

Tifoso

Re: New Ferrari TODAY!!!!!!!!

Tifoso

How about brightening the image? :lol:

RumoRi

Are the parts around the cockpit higher, or are the sidepods lower compared to 2007...?

it looks a bit odd :shock:

johny

The cockpit protections are now higher, that's due to regulations, especially after wurz-coulthard crash

Steven
Owner

Well, the cover is off:
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/7890

Also, check out the gallery ;)

Principessa

Re: New Ferrari F2008 uncovered

Tomba is at the moment writing new development blogs about the new F2008. It might be interesting for you all to read them :wink:
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/development/

I think that the new Ferrari looks really tight. Of course it will be better to see what he's capable of when he rolls out for the first time tomorrow at Fiorano.

modbaraban

Thanx a lot for the dev.bolg article about the ballast between the front wheels.

The sidepods look even more retracted back and the inlets seem even smaller. Otherwise it's quite the same car... but do I look close enough?
Anything about the F2008 rear end?

thnx

FLC
FLC

Anyone want to guess what is this pretty big bump in the engine cover for? Aero or gearbox related?
If you look closely on the Marlboro bar code you will see that there is a McLaren like fin on the engine cover.

Also, the "knives" wings are now mounted a little bit lower and are pointing less upwards:

Steven
Owner

Some additional remarks:

- the mid wing was moved forward with at least 10cm
- the airbox is moved forward by approximately 5cm
- engine exhausts are longer but the bodywork covering it is identical to F2007
- sidepod inlet is perpendicular to ride direction while on F2007 the leading section of the sidepods was nicely curved.

scarbs

I've just finsihed the press launch of the car, The new car is an evolution of the F2007, we got to walk around the car (no cameras though) and I had a brief chat with Tombazis.
Here's observations...

*Same wheelbase within a few mm
*Only front wheel moved to alter WB (i.e not gearbox or fuel cell)
*New Toyota like nose
*Underside of Nose cone, sculpted into a V
*Monocoque raised all the way to the sidepods, leaving little room for drivers thighs..!
*Front of monocoque slimmed to reqiure bulges to meet regs
*Engine inlet no longer split, although hydraulics cooler stil sited behind engine
But fed from within airbox and vented out through the tail unit
*Engine cover lower and thinner along the upper part. Spiky extentions meet the toblerone rule (and confused the non tech journalists)
*Wings, floor, bargeboards and diffuser still F2007 items
*Gearbox still Ti Skeleton with carbon outer not all carbon like the press release suggests.
*cockpit stil has the two brake bias adjusters,
*plus a three position lever, that Tombazis wouldnt tell me about, except its not an anti roll bar adjuster.
Steering wheel still has buttons for In\Mid\Exit suggestign some ECU work is still possible through the corner.
*Crap little LCD displays now madated rather than the huge screen the F2007 had.

Scarbs...

PS Kimi said he thinks christmas is boring and he didnt get much in the way of presents, as he already has the things he wants.

bhall

Wow, that's ugly. Just absolutely fugly.

Vasco

With the cockpit protection raised higher do they not block the drivers view of the mirrors?

superstring

Excuse what may be a dumb question, but from the overhead view, there seems to be an element(s) of the barge board which actually connects with (an element of) the side pod. But I can't see it from the side. Can anyone enlighten me? :)

http://www.media.ferrari.com/ferrari_mc ... 005pre.jpg

http://www.media.ferrari.com/ferrari_mc ... 004pre.jpg