Ferrari F2008

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bar555

Re: New Ferrari F2008 uncovered

I took that in mind already in my photo comparison thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5042&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

As you can see 3 pics are compared F2008-F2007-F2007 Evolution over season

Do not rush to critisize before checking
#-o
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

FLC
FLC

I was referring to the discussion on this thread. I am fully aware of your work in the other thread and never meant to criticize you or Ciro.
The comparison I made was for bizdafar to better understand my explanation of the changes to the sidepods, that is exactly why the pictures show pretty much nothing else but the sidepods.

Principessa

I can be mistaken FLC, but isn't the sidepod entry smaller with the F2008 than it was with the F2007 during the season?

Tp
Tp

Looking at the picture comparisons of the F'07 launch and F'07 throughout the season, I'm surprised at how much the car evolved....

It’s funny how we all struggle to spot differences between the launch car and the predecessor, when the biggest visual changes occur at the start and the middle of the season. But I suppose it's the fundamental changes that we look for at the launch.
Principessa wrote:I can be mistaken FLC, but isn't the sidepod entry smaller with the F2008 than it was with the F2007 during the season?
Yeah, think your right. They, like all the other teams, are trying to push the engine more to the limits than last season.

FLC
FLC

I believe they are smaller. The undercut is visibly deeper. They also look closer to 90 degrees in relation to the nose, if you know what I mean, both up and down sides of the inlet frame.I suppose that will aid the cooling.
Notice also how the design is more complete (not surprising considering it is a new car), and not "patchy", as the little piece on the bottom that was connected with a screw is now gone.
Another visible difference is the absence of the little triangular fins in front of the sidepods, visible on the "F2007" picture, right above the bardgeboard.
Will be interesting to see how and if they will change the shields in relation to all this.

effuno

checkered wrote:
effuno wrote:the vertical plate- outside the sidepods and below the mirror- has a slot in it ! cud someone enlighten me on the purpose of that ?
For me, it seems too high to generate any advantages from tip(slot tips) vortices ! maybe accelerates the flow btw slots into the side of car ?but, that doesnt guarantee attached flow, does it..! hmm.. too many blunders ? :roll:

Or maybe helps create better side force ? :?:

between, could someone tell me what that 'plate' is for in the first place ? :|

And, has that 'plate' been christened ? :)
I guess it's been

most often called a "pod vane" or a "pod wing". It's not all too clear cut to me since different teams treat it in various ways, some as a separate element, some integrating it to chimneys and such ... and some don't have them from time to time. The slot was introduced into Ferrari's version during last summer already.

It's a device that has to do with both internal and external aerodynamics. As I understand it, Williams has had a different radiator layout to many, so they wouldn't have had a similar advantage of pod vanes. There's also a slight weight penalty in attaching them. I presume externally the idea is to get a good flow going under the rear wing etc.

I've read it somewhere that the slot is there to "bleed" excess air away from the pods in high speeds. I'm sure others will help in filling in other uses for the thingies.

My initial impression was that pod vanes would slow down the slow coming out from the top of bargeboards. And, add any vortices generated from the top of bargeboards, the drag(and side forces ?) would be unreasonable. But, obviously, F1 teams know better than I do and there must be a better flow-modification done by these elements.

Thanks checkered. But, sadly no one else filled in. :( . Maybe I'll find a discussion on the same somewhere in the aero forum.

mx_tifoso

rkn wrote:F2008 on track at Fiorano: http://youtube.com/watch?v=a84kyLLSDd8
Does anyone know who Luca di Montezemolo and Jean Todt are speaking to at about 5:45 and 5:57 in the video above :?: (same person both times)

He is not a mechanic, engineer, and nor does he have a recognized position in Ferrari (AFAIK).

Thank you in advance.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mx_tifoso

YouTube- Ferrari F2008 Interviews:
In case no one has seen this video yet, it is pretty much a nine minute video with interviews of Aldo Costa, Mario Almondo, Felipe Massa, and Kimi Räikkönen. Costa and Almondo mainly speak about more technical issues and aspects of the new F2008, while Massa and Raikkonen mainly speak about their expectations for the upcoming season and personal topics as well.

Astro1

What is this?
I'm talking about the exhaust looking object that clearly isn't the exhaust.

bizadfar

MX, That could be someone on the FIAT board.

Astro, it's a vent and I bet it increases efficiency of the diffuser (fat guess)

megz

A cooling vent of sorts it was detailed in another thread in this forum.

mx_tifoso

It does seem like a vent, but has a similar shape to an exhaust. Although there would be no point in having an exhaust face forward would it, so it must be a vent of sorts as previously mentioned.

A personal guess; since the airbox has seen the removal of the splitter* that seperated incoming air into both the engine and the gearbox, this new vent might be the replacement for the gearbox vent previously found higher up in the airbox.

*Thats if the F2008 doesn't have the splitter, as far as I could tell, it doesn't.

Bizadfar, it might also be a Ferrari engineer named Leonardo Limongelli, whom supposedly is the designer of the F2007's nosecone. According to a Ferrari newsletter I recieved through e-mail.

scarbs

Astro1 wrote:What is this?
I'm talking about the exhaust looking object that clearly isn't the exhaust.

Interesting pic, I have looked at several othe rpics from the Jerex Test, it wasnt always fitted and only tested by Kimi. I think it might be an exhaust. When ever it was tested the normal exhaust was suspiciously un-tarnished by heat.
It could be the team are either splitting the exhaust into upper\lower outlets *unlikely as its bulky to package.
or
Ferrari will drop the periscope and run the pipe out low and over the diffuser. This might be better to package, the upper engine cover will be lower and the exhaust will blow nicely around the gurneys on the top of the diffuser. beign quite far forward this shoudlnt make the car to sensitive unlike the old practice of blowing the exhausts through the diffuser. the extra heat sensitive stickers around the coke bottle area but htis up to soem degree.
This might be the big surprise Ferrari alluded to at the launch...

checkered

Wasn’t it just

about a decade ago that Ferrari pioneered the “modern periscope” exhausts? If they changed it at this point it’d be a bold move – five years of utter and complete homologation await and if they’ve got it wrong it’s going to be an utter disaster ... On the other hand, if they’re very sure of themselves, any other manufacturer would be hard pressed to copy such a far reaching design change in time!

I’m hard pressed to come up with rationalisations for the split the exhaust. A different interaction between the pulses? But who knows, it’s a fine balance between aero advantages and engine power all the same. As engine power is going to stagnate anyway for five tedious years, the scales could of course tip definitely in aero’s favour, n’est ce pas? The potential budget cap could add to the urgency.

The “blowing over the diffuser” theory has potential to fit the aero emphasis line of thought just fine. At least by my ... let’s call it “logic”, for argument’s sake. The last “true blown diffusers” were compromise designs (quite high in the bodywork), as placing them lower altered the CoD according to throttle quite a lot, resulting in “challenging” handling characteristics ... though I must say I’m quite unsure about this. But “blowing over the diff” would appear a possibly fruitful object of study in this regard as well. Furthermore, Ferrari has admittedly concentrated on improvements in slow corners. If, say, they’ve slightly compromised something that has aided them in the fast ones to achieve that, this is something that might compensate in terms of boundary layer attachment when aero is more significant, powering through twists and turns.

I’m not exactly clear on the fine (nor most of the not so fine) points of aluminium honeycomb – CF structures, but given the potential new placement of the exhausts quite many things have to be taken into account. That area is full of different structures, various bonds and joints, perhaps needing heat shields of some sort. Given the max temperatures at the business end of the pipe (1400 – 1600 F?) it’s quite a test for nearby elements, certainly well above the significant range for aluminium. Presumably titanium will be fine. At least the CF is on top, having high thermal stability and even if axial and transverse coefficients of thermal expansion seem to be different, perhaps any affected bonds are not overly stressed. I couldn’t get myself to investigate further at this point.

Whether there’s much changing in the length of the exhaust itself, I don’t know. Probably not, given the frequency range (pretty stagnant these days). Interesting, though, that this year’s Ferrari seemed to sport a different diameter pipe (at the launch pics, anyway) to last year’s ... But my intuition says that the length of the “periscope” might pretty well correspond with the “over the diff” placement ... albeit the whole system is quite a jumble to leave to imagination alone. There’s propably also a slight advantage in CoG placing the exhausts lower, but that’s quite likely only all-other-things-being-equal.

Going back to aero, of course the internal (mainly sidepod) arrangement could face big changes ... any evidence of that between Ferrari’s latest challengers? Gill placement, gill area affected accordingly? Radiator exit dynamics could indeed be affected, for one, perhaps enabling structures with a yet smaller compound frontal section. With ever better packaging, perhaps exhaust- and sidepod width dimensions have once again come within such a range that “retro-novel” arrangements have an inherent competitive edge. Certainly I won’t take any arrangement as a given, even if I’m far from convinced that the above image depicts an alternate exhaust – I just don’t know what it is.

manchild

It's something strange, not just vent but looks like they are some tubes or wires going into it. Check the part below green arrows. It is definitely something quickly masked by black paint or something like that.

We should have the pic with whole sidepod to see where these tubes or wires lead.

Its something going all the way till frond end of sidepod, like an sideways tunnel.

Check how many temperature readout stickers do they have at that spot! Same stickers can be seen on top pic where that device is added. It's Kimi's car in both pics. Perhaps they have problem with overheating? [-o<