Ferrari F2008

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FLC
FLC

Re: New Ferrari F2008 uncovered

Massa had the heat stickers on his car too, and Kimi had some in that area at Fiorano during the shakedown, though not as many:

Manchild, here's a link to the image you were referring to, I'm not sure you're right:
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/6242 ... e01rk6.jpg

Maybe this is just part of Ferrari's work on reliability, which is one of their main goals for this coming season?

bizadfar

Do the regulations say there may only be 2 exhausts maximum?

What kind of difference does a quad exhaust offer to the engine? (compared to dual).

It's a longshot (huuuuge) but could it be quadruple exhaust?

If you would want vents there wouldn't they be more like gills and covering an area more than whatever that device is now?

checkered

Well, having seen

the entire image it seems ever more unlikely to me that that'd be an exhaust pipe. The direction isn't anywhere near tangential to the adjoining body structure itself (if you're in the business of energising the boundary layer ...), albeit it's a bit hard to envision the flows in that area, what, with the proximity of the rear tyre and all. The pod area to the front of the unfamiliar shape houses some electronics, does it not? But I find it hard to believe that the new MES unit would generate enough heat to warrant that prominent a vent to cool it down. Whatever it is, it breaks the form in a way which I find hard to believe is beneficial at all.

Astro1

I find it intresting, that nobody, anywhere (online) seems to have a strong point of view on what the object may be.

So far we have sensor, cooling vent, exhaust.

Does anybody know if the device is implemented symmetrically? Are there any other shots/video of the other/both sides of the car?

manchild

That's the outlet for oil and nails in case some of the rivals gets too close. :lol:

PNSD

It doesnt look like an exhaust of somesort.
Its too circular in profile as were looking at it.

Astro1

Its too circular in profile
Why would that suggest it's not an exhaust solution?

PNSD

Wouldn't you expect to be more of the latter ??

Astro1

No...why would you "expect" that?

Astro1

No...why would you "expect" that?

PNSD

When looking from the side, what do the exhausts look like...

as suggested if they are exhausts and in that posistion one of the possibilities is they could be used to blow air over the diffuser... the exit does not look like its shapped that way at all...

bizadfar

doesn't make sense PNSD...

F2002 and I think F2003 had a more oval shape: http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/im ... 2002_6.jpg

R27: http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/main ... alNumber=3
More circular.

PNSD

yes of course but if you read what i meant i said looking from the side.

in which we are with the F2008 ;-)!

Astro1

"Looking from the side" has nothing to do with the shape of the tips.

Ferrari's only goal, may be to simply lower the center of gravity. I doubt any significant aerodynamic benfit, can be had by pointing the exhaust anywhere.

If it was the exhaust, it will have most prabably needed to be routed very differently and may explain the bulge we see on the F2008s engine cover. Then there are the heat sensors that seem too numerous.

PNSD

I know looking from the side has nothing to do with how they will be shaped!!!
Thats not my point... My point is VISUALLY they look to be pointing out towards the side of the car.

As pointed earlier one of the possible reasons for them being there (if they're exhausts) could be to outlet hot accelerated air over the diffuser making it more effective. But they do not APPEAR to be shapped that way. Otherwise they would be more shapped like my diagram on the other page would they not??!

I dont think you get what I mean.

But again looking at the picture, there doesnt seem to be any depth in the holes... :s