Williams FW30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild
manchild

Williams FW30

axle
axle

Re: Williams FW30

<- Williams Fan.

Jury still out.

Need more pics!
- Axle

Sawtooth-spike

Ahh you beat me to it! #-o

I was wondering if it was a spec-ed up version of last years car. But the more i looked it seemed like a new car.

Cant see alot from just the front. Bridge wing as expected, elements over suspension.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Principessa

It should be the new FW30 but in winter test livery. I've emailed with the team earlier this month and they confirmed what Sam Michael said that the new car would be on track for the first time at Valencia.

I'm still awaiting pictures from the team to get a better view of the car but they are not available yet.

joseff

Looks like an RB3 esp. with the dark blue color. Clearly an all-new car, not an evolution over the FW28/29 design.

Interestingly they chose to copy the McNose as McLaren themselves change their design. The front + rear wings look like regular Williams items, aside from the bridged element. A novel feature is the nose camera being mounted away from the body, at the end of the winglets.

The combo podvanes + chimney look like MP4-22. The chimneys now exit from the top (although blocked) rather than to the sides as with the FW29.

No signs of the on-again, off-again wheel fairings.

Spencifer_Murphy

Obviously we'll have to wait until the fog lifts for some decent pictures, but this one from ITV-f1's website is a little bit better:

I'm liking the integrated podvanes & chimney's - bit like the Mclaren idea

EDIT: Also I just noticed, the sidepods look TINY - at least around the bottom where they meet the floor. Maybe its just the angle of the picture. But I'm liking what I'm seeing thus far.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

McLaren 3 element front wing with bridge wing too...
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Roland Ehnström

Certainly looks like a brand new design. Looks good! =D>

The sidepods really do look very low, almost like the BMW F1.08. The nose looks Renault to me, with a McLaren-like wing. The mid wing (in front of the rear wing) is "twisted", similar to the Red Bull RB4, which makes it different from Ferrari and McLaren, who have a much straighter wing there.

Nice sticker on the side of the rear wing (and sidepod) too. :)
Last edited by Roland Ehnström on 21 Jan 2008, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

axle
axle

Does look like they've managed to tighten up the packaging around the sides...probably thanks to be able to design this car around the Toyota engine and it's requirements.

Can't wait for more detailed pictures!!
- Axle

joseff

And there he went... on his first outing with a new car, Nico Huelkenberg managed to beach it.

Principessa

Pictures of the FW30 are now available in our gallery
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/v/Wi ... 30/Launch/

More will follow

Principessa

Perhaps I'm mistaken as it's not easy to see with the dark livery, but I believe that the sidepods are very small and that they look similar to the R28.

Rob W

Interesting also that they've got Adidas on-board as a sponsor... I assume the team-member's names on the front of the car are forming an Adidas three-stripe design.

R

modbaraban
modbaraban

Are you sure about Adidas? (never heard of the deal, but it looks very much like /// )

The nose looks very much like this one:

the wing is different tho.

Rob W

modbaraban wrote:Are you sure about Adidas? (never heard of the deal, but it looks very much like /// )
The 'three stripe' pattern is a globally registered trademark of Adidas' for sure. The Williams art is so close to their design it surely isn't just 'artwork'? Williams wouldn't make the mistake of designing something so similar surely?

Likewise, they don't seem to have Puma on any of their overalls anymore (which they did last season) - although the pit crew shoes look like they're still wearing Puma shoes - the photos are a bit small to see properly.

R