Williams FW30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
modbaraban

Re: Williams FW30

Today's pics.

bridge wing and podvanes

FW29-like wing and no podvanes (just long chimneys)
note the so called ears right above the front suspension - they are used only with the bridge wing on.

PS: seems that the nosecone is different too! :?

PPS: :oops: disregard..... this is FW29

allan

is that a splitter in the airbox? (pic#1)

tomazy

Yea, there is a spliter in the airbox, look at this picture

and I think there is something strange in the difuzor as well, here you can see what I mean

but we need a clearer picture of a back end.

zac510

That looks like a pretty standard diffuser shape to me.
No good turn goes unpunished.

tomazy

Well, the upper curve is strange to me, most of the other difuzors ar streight there:

FW29

scarbs

Both the airbox splitter and the diffuser are new.
The diffuser sidewall unusually curves outwards to meet the beam wing as tested on later versions of the car.

While the airbox does have a splitter inside (as does the Honda)and an opening made under the engine cover spine to vent the cooler.

mx_tifoso

Was looking into the Williams team and now I'm wondering about the livery colours.

At our database description it says that Williams started using the white/blue when BMW started supplying engines. But even though BMW has left the two colours remain strongly. Why is that? And what colours is Williams renown for besides white/blue?

Thanks in advance.

I didn't want to start a new thread, I hate doing so :| .
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

joseff

Saudia: White/Green
Winfield 1998 (Yuck): White/Red
BMW: White/Silver/Blue
Cosworth 2006: White/dark blue
AT&T: White/Light Blue/Dark Blue

But in my mind whenever I think "Williams" I see a red #5 on the car, and the car is White/Yellow/Blue.

modbaraban

Well the RBS sponsorship may be a reason. But I as far as I remember Williams had those colours in their liveries since the 80-s and the Canon sponsorship (white/blue/yellow) and then Rothmans (blue/white) and then BMW.

meves

As far as I know, the Blue and White are Williams colours which are always retained. So even with sponsorship Williams retain their own identity which is consistant and enable Williams themselves to have their own "Brand" outside of the sponsors, much like Ferrari (although with a different colour obviously).

xpensive

Consulting this web-site's database, which always is most useful mx, there was actually a predominantly RED Williams in 1998!

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/817
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

axle

xpensive wrote:Consulting this web-site's database, which always is most useful mx, there was actually a predominantly RED Williams in 1998!

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/817
Frank Williams has said in the past he couldn't give a *&^% what colour his cars are as long as they are fast...but I think he quietly changed his tune when Williams was sponsored by Winfield. Fans hated it. Fans hating = no merchandise sales.

The Williams badge and logo are prodominately blue and blue is a fashionable colour to wear...it makes a lot of marketing sense to go with Blue+white etc.

I really liked the Dark Blue test FW30 in the 2008 pre season. The race version never looked as good IMO.
- Axle

CMSMJ1

Regarding the dark blue colours..

Go and find a pic of the cars that Frank entered in the 60s for Piers Courage.

Dark blue and white.

This is the original Frank Williams colourscheme and is pre sponsors... nothing to do with anything that has been before...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM