Renault R28

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Principessa

Re: Renault R28

Although Renault also fitted a bridged wing to the R28, I think it looks completely different than the other bridged wings. Especially with the lower part of the nose...

MrT
MrT

Very different concept front wing to everyone else - which probably means a fairly different general aero concept? First element attaches to nose, weird by convential recent designs?

V-keel still by the looks of it?

Sidepods again look pretty incredible, undercut massivly, and very
swept down at the rear? A challenger to BMW for the biggest sidepod development prize?

vyselegend

MrT wrote: First element attaches to nose, weird by convential recent designs?
It seems by doing so they got rid of the mounting struts. Sort of...

joseff

I'd say the wishbone mount points look low in comparison with current trends... more like a Spyker-style twin keel than a V.

MrT
MrT

I'm pretty sure its V,the lower wishbones are still inclined upward quite a bit... It may be zero... its hard to tell from those photos.... pretty sure its not twin keel although i've been wrong before :p

Sawtooth-spike

That front wing looks really really odd!

the spoon looks like a tunnel, i cant think why that is an advantage.

Is it just me or are the exausts quite far out?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

MrT
MrT

The exhausts do look like they protrude quite a bit, but I think thats because the sidepods have been slimmed so much, they drop away real fast.....

HKS

The livery doesn't at all suit the car :evil: #-o #-o
Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly, they are beautiful only when you win races.

Sawtooth-spike

Spotted a few things, there is some kinda Keel system, as one of the bar goes under the body of the car. Probably stuck with there V-keel.

second thing i have stopped, The front wing if you ignore the bridge, looks like an more curvy version of the Ferrari chin wing from 2005. Its alot more curved and does not look as stuck on as the ferrari one. But it does ring a bell.

Also anybody else noticed the outlet infront of the rewing, at the back of the engine cover?

EDIT
oh and the wing mirrors have moved back
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

MrT
MrT

Yep, looks like it's in the area of the rear dampers though, so couldn;t think what it could be for?

axle

My god, the side pods look tiny!

They've been working on the car for longer than most after realising the R27 was a dead duck....and I think it could well have paid dividends. The nose is a departure from the rest of the grid...it looks to be using the FIA space to the absolute limit... this shot helps I think...

Will be interesting to see if it "works".
Last edited by axle on 21 Jan 2008, 14:49, edited 2 times in total.
- Axle

manchild

It's no-keel chassis. Brighten the monitor and you'll see it.

Completely new car.

No struts triple-blade front wing, almost double-bridged.

Exhaust outlets streamlined at the bottom, forming an inverted raindrop shape.
Sidepod inlets smaller and I think spoon and first blade's inner parts are to grab coolest possible air and direct it to sidepods thus improving the aero efficiency of front end of the chassis.

Clutch cooling outlet in same place as Ferrari's from F2007.

Ugly livery makes it look ugly but in fact it is quite interesting car. They should have figured out by now that you can't have sharp, straight livery lines on a curvy car :roll:

Steven
Owner

What strikes me about this car is the thickness of the nose. It kind of reminds me to the Arrows A21 by Agathangelou. It looks like they have just increased the nose volume to be able to make it a zero keeler. As a result though the wishbones are more horizontal than with the other teams.

I'm not sure how such increased volume can enhance aero efficiency, but it could allow the team to put more ballast in the nose and lower to the ground.

Roland Ehnström

I find it odd that the R28 doesn't have that extra wing element that all other 2008 cars have in front of the rear wing (except the BMW F1.08, which has it placed further forward).