Renault R28

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild
manchild

Re: Renault R28

I think those small U shaped cutouts are to prevent that vibrations of the blade cause snapping of blade. We surely don't know what's exactly below the nose but I'm sure that blade certainly isn't touching the nose so there's probably some specific shaped cavity as you called it.

Something like SA06 or old Arrows but much less dramatic and exposed. Sort of front diffuser meant to enable good functioning of front wing despite extremely low nose.

Also, don't forget that this wasn't a test but just a show off for the press. Perhaps an hole will appear on nose used on real testing which would completely explain where the air from the center of the blade ends up. :wink:
Last edited by manchild on 21 Jan 2008, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Apart form the nasty livery I think this is the most interesting car yet released. The low nose is a great touch and as per the A21 I think it will be a fast car in a straight line..

The sidepods are just obscene! Superb packaging...seems the 111 degree engine taught them some lessons in COG dynamics and ancillary placement that they have not forgot.

Brilliant...if only it was not orange and yellow :?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

modbaraban
modbaraban

axle wrote:Same goes for the lack of wing at the back...it all seems a bit retro!? :shock: :?
R27 had midwing on only in some races

JimmyK
JimmyK

I assume they've had the nose planned out for quite a while. The early 'leaked' spy shots of the R27 (with it's old colours - looking great) had quite a low nose I think, but they made it bigger (and more ungainly) before the season started to incorporate more ballast.

scarbs
scarbs

I think Manchild may be right, The weather prevented so much running there aren’t many pics of the car. One reverse angle shot does show the detail of the nosecone as it joins the monocoque, there is a generous radius on it unlike the sharp edge near the wing.

McLaren had a similar design on the MP4-18, IIRC the nose had dropped sides meeting the flaps on the wing.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Do you think the thickness of the lower element of the front wing is in order to place balast there, shifting the weight to towards the front for the bridgestone tyres?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

scarbs
scarbs

ben_watkins wrote:Do you think the thickness of the lower element of the front wing is in order to place balast there, shifting the weight to towards the front for the bridgestone tyres?
I'd say the thickness of the front wing main plane is almost certainly due to aerodynamics, any space for ballast woud be be a beneficial by-product. Besides there is an agrement on ballast placed inside the nose\wing (IIRC Spyker ran 9Kg last year)

manchild
manchild

Here is what I had in mind.

Longitudinal cross section of nose

joseff

I somewhat don't think so manchild, we'll have to wait to see the car with the nose off.

Sawtooth-spike

Renault have added front Rims today

I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

vyselegend

About the horrible livery, the ugly color mix can't be helped, as long as ING is the main sponsor, but it seems the team will have a new graphical theme this year:

More dark blue. The good thing is, given how horrible it was, it can only go better...

modbaraban
modbaraban

Did anyone notice the unusual shape of the mirrors? Quite LOoong... Looks like they 'work' together with the 'ears' right in front of them.

manchild
manchild

I guess this car has even more secrets.

Look at those two holes. I think they've made some quickly adjustable suspension system that can enable quick changes of suspension stiffness or ride height even during pitstops - just like it is done with front wing angle. Not to mention how valuable it can be between qualifying sessions.

http://www.f1fotos.be/wintertests2008/v ... 20(44).jpg

bizadfar
bizadfar

manchild wrote:I guess this car has even more secrets.

Look at those two holes. I think they've made some quickly adjustable suspension system that can enable quick changes of suspension stiffness or ride height even during pitstops - just like it is done with front wing angle. Not to mention how valuable it can be between qualifying sessions.

Esp wet race!

scarbs
scarbs

manchild wrote:I guess this car has even more secrets.

These are pre load adjusters for the torsion spring. Most teams have them, although they are covered up with stickers.