Toyota TF109

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Re: Toyota TF109 Rollout

This pic:

vasia

Definitely it was a temporary test part on the nose. Toyota will likely use a refinement of it in the next few races. Also would not be surprised to see the Red Bull style engine cover (that goes all the way to the rear wing) be used as well since they tested it a while ago. Toyota needs to increase their development pace a bit more, they better have some significant updates in Hungary or they risk falling behind. As far as I can tell, Toyota has not had a floor update in ages, as well as an engine cover update. Toyota needs a significant update on the scale of what McLaren had here in Germany or what Red Bull had at Silverstone. Only then will they pose a serious threat to Red Bull and Brawn.

Here for Germany the only visible updates were a modified rear wing, some modifications to the front brakes, and some winglets below the mirrors, which can be seen in this pic:

tadzio89

ESPImperium wrote:Im shure its something they were just testing to get some real world data, before working on it and refining it more, were probably a race or two away from seeing Toyota being one of 3 teams rolling out a Red Bull eske nose hump. Im shure those nose humps are designed to do the same as the antlers last year;
it is used mainly for better view for driver from the cockpit?

Shrek

tadzio89 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Im shure its something they were just testing to get some real world data, before working on it and refining it more, were probably a race or two away from seeing Toyota being one of 3 teams rolling out a Red Bull eske nose hump. Im shure those nose humps are designed to do the same as the antlers last year;
it is used mainly for better view for driver from the cockpit?
i don't think so, if you see in front of the hump is the regular nose and the hump is actually an add on (though i still don't know what happens aerodynamically
Spencer

zgred

zgred wrote: Image

Maybe Toyota was watching - F1 at 1500FPS - endplate element now is fixed.

astracrazy

in my opinion, toyota have the best looking endplates (i kno that don't meen the best)

Shrek

On the inside edge of the wing is a gurney lip i think to help divert air away from the splitter brhind and also they have the BMW rear wing that they tested at Germany
Spencer

PNSD

On the high pressure side of the wing the flow always spans outwards and on the underside, the low pressure side the flow always diverts inwards. imo that lip is to simply reduce that effect maybe? Also in straightline conditions does not the neutral wing section produce lift, that cant be great for the efficiency of that 3rd plain.

hulmerist

toyota seem to have another wing underneath the rear wing now

scarbs

hulmerist wrote:toyota seem to have another wing underneath the rear wing now
and one above it, like BMW & Force India.

zgred

RacingManiac

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/1313762

That's the first time I've see how the DDD on the Toyota is being fed...via RBR-like scoop...

The add-on hump on the nose, at least form Scarb's piece on Autosport seems to be meant for testing the new tub geometry to match RBR's style for next season, its the same reason why Ferrari and Brawn are testing it as well. They want to see the driver visibility from the cockpit with the protrusions. The key deal is the cross section dimension limit in the rule, With the protrusion up top they can take it out the bottom to make it narrower.

ESPImperium

Personally, i think the humps do a dual use; firstly their primary usage whitch is suspension geometry and an aid for suspension efficency, and the seconsry issue, whitch is aero aid, just like the antlers/gul wings from lasy years cars:

hulmerist

can some clever person explain....what benefit does that have for the suspension?

i only ask this because the brawn and totoya ones were stuck on...were they doing this to test the effect it would have on aero before they --- with the suspension?

RacingManiac

Again, from the piece Scarb posted on autosport, as said the fact that you have protrusion up top allows the team to get by the rule limitation with regards to the cross sectional requirement for the tub in that area)presumably meant for driver footwell packaging and so on. The exact rule I am not too clear on, but Scarb mentioned that having the upper protrusion allows for the narrower lower section.(imagine taking 2 corners out of a square and stick it up top). This allows the car to have lower a-arm pickup further inboard, perhaps helping the suspension kinematic to be more favorable than the traditional zero-keel setup that is now the standard in F1, which always sacrifices the suspension for aero gain.

The tack-on piece obviously don't offer that, but the idea is to test it out on track in terms of visibility and whatnot to gain data for the new car. Seeing there are no testing available outside of race weekends now, teams are really using the FP as the test sessions. Which I think is very interesting as all sorts of bits and pieces are now for the world to see...