BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DarkSnape

Re: BMW Sauber F1.09

i think BMW started testing the f1.09 aero in the body of the F1.08B across two cars in the post-season 2008 tests. Therefore, BMW should have 6 tests more data than other teams"

benjabulle

the BMW is online, some interesting details appear, like small vents ? at the rear of the side, below :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/formule109.html

modbaraban

Apparently these just temporarily cover the KERS cooling inlets.

I also spotted another inlet on one side.

Agerasia

The colour scheme is hiding a lot on this car, and it's deceptive. This is probably deliberate.
The front wing I would say is almost definately not the one they will use, much like Toyota.
The bargeboard design is very clever IMO, and I expect other teams may be keeping an eye on it.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Spencifer_Murphy

enkidu wrote:
FLC wrote:
timbo wrote:Well, it almost seems like the car is underdeveloped. But they already had reasonable track time and their KERS is probably is in better shape than others', so I guess their chances are good.
Actually, this surprised me a little bit: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72893

Is there a team on the grid which is sure to have KERS ready in time for the first race?

Mclaren as they used it in 1998! Also Honda had theirs ready... I think this is good news people are having trouble with this. Engine failure will probably be so rare but KERS failures could lose you the race.
Mclaren used KERS in 1998? R u sure?

The F1.09 is really uninspiring to me, that all being said, like hell its going to look like this come Australia...expect that front wint to undergo some changes (although I think those changes might be limited to slight endplate developments) Just a hunch tho, i have no real information on which to base this assumption.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Agerasia

It was a system that powered the pumps.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Conceptual

roost89 wrote: Also a comparison shot between the F1.08 and the F1.09

Is anyone else DYING to see the F1.09 with the F1.08 wings?

Sleek car, but as the others, it looks almost historic... ESSPECIALLY that front wing!

The car looks to be a very clever evolution of the FW26 fron nose to sidepod.

NDR008

I am starting to get under the impression that only I like the 2009 F1 cars' looks. I feel like the 08 (and in particular 07) where a bit too overdone. Also a clean car usually means the baseline is right. Several additions usually means post-design corrections as opposed to a tweak or two.

timbo

NDR008 wrote:I am starting to get under the impression that only I like the 2009 F1 cars' looks. I feel like the 08 (and in particular 07) where a bit too overdone. Also a clean car usually means the baseline is right. Several additions usually means post-design corrections as opposed to a tweak or two.
Well, I won't say I LOVE those cars, but I sertainly don't HATE them. And what's funny is that now 2008 front wings seem unproportionally small.

Conceptual

timbo wrote:
NDR008 wrote:I am starting to get under the impression that only I like the 2009 F1 cars' looks. I feel like the 08 (and in particular 07) where a bit too overdone. Also a clean car usually means the baseline is right. Several additions usually means post-design corrections as opposed to a tweak or two.
Well, I won't say I LOVE those cars, but I sertainly don't HATE them. And what's funny is that now 2008 front wings seem unproportionally small.
I don't hate them either, but I'm sure that with all of the furniture removed, the aero sensitivity would be much less with the 2008 wings(lowered to 7.5cm), and maybe just raising the 2008 rear wing to 2009 height.

It just looks as if they found that wing in a cave in northern India along with all of the other pre-biblical spacecraft...

DarkSnape

imightbewrong wrote:hmm.. interesting.. Have they implemented tiiiiyn shark grills right where the side pod meets the floor?
besides this ( exhaust) i think it`s well thought place to warm up the tires

ESPImperium

I would shure love to see the 2008 rear wings on the 2009 cars, but at the 2009 height, it would make the cars fuller at the rear end.

Also, id like to see the front wings of last year on this years cars.

Keeping the rest of the rules from this year.

I feel that it would make the cars wouold look more aesthetically pleasing and better to look at, probably with slicks faster, and also closer racing as well.

Conceptual

ESPImperium wrote:I would shure love to see the 2008 rear wings on the 2009 cars, but at the 2009 height, it would make the cars fuller at the rear end.

Also, id like to see the front wings of last year on this years cars.

Keeping the rest of the rules from this year.

I feel that it would make the cars wouold look more aesthetically pleasing and better to look at, probably with slicks faster, and also closer racing as well.
DING DING DING!!!

Don't forget to lower the 2008 wing to 7.5cn as well... 8)

WhiteBlue

There is a nice piece by Scarbs about the BMW on Autosport.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Henning

Isn't there some kind of new regulation that doesn't allow the steering arm to run inside the upper wishbone:
DarkSnape wrote: Image