BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: BMW Sauber F1.09

Im just gonna bring up the BMW P86/9 engine again.

I have just finished analising the 2007 data and just adding in some probabilities of failure in my 2008 data. In 2007 the BMW block was the second strongest not far behind the Mercedes Benz FO108, in 2008 it was the strongest of the lot over 0.25% stronger than the Mercedes. Just floating a idea out there, what changed in the BMW power plant for 2009??? I think i have the answer, KERS is what screwed it all up for 2009, as the BMW on paper is the weakest block out there today.

Could that be the heart of all BMWs problems, too much time on a KERS system that could have been put into the car to make shure it was up with the Brawns and Red Bulls???

And if McLaren are looking for what is essencially BMW power for 2010, there gonna have to put some investment into the engine department to get it back right and propper.

Shaddock

ESPImperium wrote:Im just gonna bring up the BMW P86/9 engine again.

I have just finished analising the 2007 data and just adding in some probabilities of failure in my 2008 data. In 2007 the BMW block was the second strongest not far behind the Mercedes Benz FO108, in 2008 it was the strongest of the lot over 0.25% stronger than the Mercedes. Just floating a idea out there, what changed in the BMW power plant for 2009??? I think i have the answer, KERS is what screwed it all up for 2009, as the BMW on paper is the weakest block out there today.

Could that be the heart of all BMWs problems, too much time on a KERS system that could have been put into the car to make shure it was up with the Brawns and Red Bulls???

And if McLaren are looking for what is essencially BMW power for 2010, there gonna have to put some investment into the engine department to get it back right and propper.
Do you mean engine 'unit' or engine 'block' :?:

There would be no need to change the engine internals for the addition of KERS, but the engines ancillary's might need swapping round.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I do mean the engine meaning unit or block.

so far im about 45% thrugh the inputing of the 2006 data, and about 60% complete the 2006 data, havnt put it into the individual units yet, but essencially im expecting the same thing accross the 7 engine types that were used in 06 that the BMP P86/6 should be in or arround the top 3 engines.

But it could be the ancillary's that are diffrent or something has changed in the ECU software that the BMWs dont really react well to.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Check it out .. the old end plates are back at Brazil .. at least in paddock.

zgred

raceman

zgred wrote:Image
left-most upper and right-most upper wing endplates are the same, but different from the others; aren't they?

Pit
Pit

Yep. BMW brought the good ol' bulky endplates with them, and they actually worked quite well. Kubica had an amazing VMax thanks to the lower amount of downforce, which helped him overtake Rosberg during the first stint.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Yes, Kubica did quite well with those bulky endplates! It was interesting to hear him talk about how the green track was an advantage for them. He said that they don't seem to go any faster when rubber gets put down, but they are fast on a green track. Interesting ..

pipex
pipex

BMW engine is crap, zero reliability... maybe this is playing a part too in the decision to quit F1.
I remember that some aero engineers from Honda finally moved to BMW the last year. And it seems strange that from last year on, BMW aero developments have been less than stellar... some food for thought.
"We will have to wait and see".

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Funny you should mention the aero engineer thing pipex. I had heard from an insider that the Honda aero department was full of hacks a couple of years ago.

In BMW's defense I have to say that they must have found some good in those boxy endplates. This is as good as I've seen BMW since the beginning of the year. They matched Webber's pace thru much of the race. Of course this is the first time they've done this in quite a while, but still they did it.

djos

BreezyRacer wrote:Funny you should mention the aero engineer thing pipex. I had heard from an insider that the Honda aero department was full of hacks a couple of years ago.

In BMW's defense I have to say that they must have found some good in those boxy endplates. This is as good as I've seen BMW since the beginning of the year. They matched Webber's pace thru much of the race. Of course this is the first time they've done this in quite a while, but still they did it.
Meh, Bob wasn't that fast (he was consistent tho) and his best time was only 4th fastest of the race (4/10ths slower than Webber's best).

01 M. Webber Red Bull 1:13.733
02 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:13.890
03 R. Barrichello Brawn 1:13.950
04 R. Kubica BMW 1:14.155
"In downforce we trust"

axle
axle

pipex wrote:BMW engine is crap, zero reliability... maybe this is playing a part too in the decision to quit F1.
I remember that some aero engineers from Honda finally moved to BMW the last year. And it seems strange that from last year on, BMW aero developments have been less than stellar... some food for thought.
You are aware that NH ran out of fuel thanks to the fuelrig failing in Brazil arn't you? If you are then cool - it was jus the timing of your post seemed to indicate you were blaming the engine for NH's retirement.
- Axle

zgred

Could somebody enlighten me why Robert Kubica is called Bob?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

zgred wrote:Could somebody enlighten me why Robert Kubica is called Bob?
Bob is short for Robert.

Giblet
Giblet

imightbewrong wrote:
zgred wrote:Could somebody enlighten me why Robert Kubica is called Bob?
Bob is short for Robert.
There is a large grocery chain in Canada called Lawblaw's. The owners name was Robert, Rob, or Bob.

Say Bob Lawblaw out loud.

Imagine trying to introduce yourself to people without them laughing.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute