BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zgred

Re: BMW Sauber F1.09

imightbewrong wrote:
zgred wrote:Could somebody enlighten me why Robert Kubica is called Bob?
Bob is short for Robert.
THX. I thought it should be Rob. There is no connection in Polish language between Robert and Bob.

axle

zgred wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:
zgred wrote:Could somebody enlighten me why Robert Kubica is called Bob?
Bob is short for Robert.
THX. I thought it should be Rob. There is no connection in Polish language between Robert and Bob.
There isn't in English either...

It's the same with Richard. You can legitimately call a person called Richard, Dick.
- Axle

CMSMJ1

..or John, Jack

Got to love English..
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

pipex

BreezyRacer wrote:Funny you should mention the aero engineer thing pipex. I had heard from an insider that the Honda aero department was full of hacks a couple of years ago.
:lol:
axle wrote: You are aware that NH ran out of fuel thanks to the fuelrig failing in Brazil arn't you? If you are then cool - it was jus the timing of your post seemed to indicate you were blaming the engine for NH's retirement.
axle, i was thinking about Kubica engine overheating problem. Doing nearly the complete race with limited revs, that's all.
"We will have to wait and see".

roost89

axle wrote:
zgred wrote:
There isn't in English either...

It's the same with Richard. You can legitimately call a person called Richard, Dick.
Robert -> Rob -> Bob

I don't think many Richards like being called Dick nowadays :lol:
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ISLAMATRON

I prefer Big nose Bob... and after Nixon all Richards MUST be called Dick.

Engine overheating is more of an aero problem, they probably blocked off some of the air inlet forthe wet qually and couldnt change it for the dry race, plus Bob did a big part of his 2nd stint stuck behind the "1" stoppers and that will definitely make the engine temps rise.

The BMW engines did not have 1 failure last year, and they are essentially the same engines. They may have had a bad batch of parts at 1 point this year.

woohoo

BreezyRacer wrote:Yes, Kubica did quite well with those bulky endplates! It was interesting to hear him talk about how the green track was an advantage for them. He said that they don't seem to go any faster when rubber gets put down, but they are fast on a green track. Interesting ..
Maybe the F1.09 is not lacking in the aerodynamic area, but more in the mechanical ?
It showed good straight line speed in Spa and Monza.
And Kubica had good races in both Australia and Brazil, and at both of these asphalt grip was low.

Or its the way the F1.09 uses its tires ?
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

zgred

Previous new wing

Small change in second deck element.

axle

Is is the angle or is the lower deck's wing adjusters (inboard uprights) different too?
- Axle

i70q7m7ghw

I hope the team lives on, they started to get their act together towards the end of the season and the car really started to look the part.

vasia

Compared to the beginning of the season, the F1.09 in the latest pics looks faster, and what do you know, it IS faster :D.

PlatinumZealot

This was a nice car.. probably the best looking one in my eyes. It finally got up to speed at the end of the season, being on pace with the BGP01. I think the car could have been a race winner if it wasn't for the the slow development.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pit
Pit

n smikle wrote:This was a nice car.. probably the best looking one in my eyes. It finally got up to speed at the end of the season, being on pace with the BGP01. I think the car could have been a race winner if it wasn't for the the slow development.
I agree. I've been following the development of F1.09 ever since it was launched and I must admit, that it has become quite a beautiful vehicle. It was hard to believe that there was any hope for this car after its dire performance in Bahrain, but the major upgrades introduced throughtout the season really did their job. Not only did they improve the looks of the F1.09, but more importantly, they turned it into a serious points contender. If the season lasted longer, we would probably see Kubica and Heidfeld on podium a couple of times.

Unfortunately, we must now bid farewell to BMW. Despite originally being Kubica's "fanboy", over the years I've grown to like the whole team. I will miss the flimsy mechanics, Nick's sunglassess and of course dr. Mario (or, to be more precise, his Borat-style moustache). Hope to see them all in Bahrain next year ;)

tomislavp4

I agree with both of you, the F1.09 became good looking and quite competitive car towards the end of the season, too bad BMW is gone. I don´t blame them though,it was the right thing to do with the current economic situation in mind.

StrFerrari4Ever

I thought I was the only person who thought as the season progressed the F1.09 was a beauty I mean SPA qualifying when it was flying it just looked absolutely mesmerising.