Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jamsbong
jamsbong

Re: Red Bull RB5

I couldn't tell if the Red Bull drivers lifted on corpse because there was no diagram that indicates the throttle bar on the videos. There is only raw sound from the engine and the onboard camera view.

I reckon in SPA and Monza or any fast flowing track, the RB5 will be on top.

Scotracer
Scotracer

I was there. Every car lifted in Copse.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

WhiteBlue

ESPImperium wrote:The only reason i can think that the RB5 has that nose is to put more waight toward the front of the car and try and take weight off the cars rear as the extra downforce their full DDD is creating is where the loss in weight there is added to the front of the car to give the car a little more forward weight bias.
To have the cameras in the nose you have to have the video bus quick couplings in the nose to tub interface. Those nose interfaces are getting a lot of funtionality of late.

We have seen cameras in the nose endplates occasionally but I think they were exceptional rather than the standard. How many teams have the cameras in the nose and how many in the tub? Probably most have them in the nose by now?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

jamsbong wrote:I couldn't tell if the Red Bull drivers lifted on corpse because there was no diagram that indicates the throttle bar on the videos. There is only raw sound from the engine and the onboard camera view.
Formula1.com has the onboard video of Vettel's PP lap complete with all the info you're looking for. As long as you know the circuit very well you'll know if there was any lift or braking at a specific section.

:arrow: http://www.formula1.com/video/onboard.html
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ISLAMATRON

but we are not talking about qualifying laps we are talking about the first couple race laps

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

True, I should have paid more attention to the entire 'full trottle or lift' debate.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Fil

Red Bull reverting to their thinner nose for Nurburgring?

Side
Front

why would they bring the old version for this race after the success of the chubbier one at Silverstone?
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Miguel
Miguel

Fil wrote:Red Bull reverting to their thinner nose for Nurburgring?

Side
Front

why would they bring the old version for this race after the success of the chubbier one at Silverstone?
I won't believe they will be running the thinner nose until I see the qualy. In any case, it's possible that, because only the Schumacher-S is really high-speed, RBR considers the low-drag figure of the thinner nose more beneficial than a couple extra downforce pounds on the front axis.

Of course, this is all highly speculative. I don't have a PhD in armchair aerodynamics, so I can't get Cd and Cl numbers for either nose from those pictures.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

sticky667
sticky667

www.jamesallenonf1.com wrote:hearing stories that RB tech. dir. Geoff Willis has left the team. more to follow
oh noes! what's the next stop?

timbo
timbo

Miguel wrote:I won't believe they will be running the thinner nose until I see the qualy. In any case, it's possible that, because only the Schumacher-S is really high-speed, RBR considers the low-drag figure of the thinner nose more beneficial than a couple extra downforce pounds on the front axis.

Of course, this is all highly speculative. I don't have a PhD in armchair aerodynamics, so I can't get Cd and Cl numbers for either nose from those pictures.
Speaking from my armchair aerodynamics office I seem to remember talks that wide/thin nose mainly affects front-back aero-balance, the location of center of pressure to be more precise. I can only assume that wide-nose may mean more front balance and less understeer in fast corners. Thinner nose may have more stability. So maybe there's no need in such fast changes of direction as at Silversone (Maggots-Beckett's) in Nurburgring.

ISLAMATRON

That extremely low sidepod(even at its highest point it is relatively lower than all the others) with an also very low engine exhaust will become the standard design of this iteration of F1 cars IMO. It just seems to get so much more air to the bridgewing. Not surprisingly the only other car with almost as low a sidepod height is the Brawn.

StrFerrari4Ever

I have to say that RB5 looks unbelievable in that pic the detailing of the thing everything just looks so sexy =P~

djos

Webber re-signs for Red Bull in 2010! 8)

Red Bull Racing has confirmed today that Mark Webber will continue to drive for the team in 2010, alongside his team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

Christian Horner: “I’m delighted that we have re-signed Mark for 2010. He continued to show huge commitment and determination this season, especially following his bike accident at the end of last year. His recent results show he is on the form of his life – most notably with his recent win at the German GP – and he has the motivation to deliver at the highest level. It was therefore a straightforward decision to extend the relationship. We believe that the driver line-up of Mark and Sebastian is one of the strongest in the sport.

Mark Webber: “I’m extremely happy that Red Bull and I have been able to agree to race together again next year. Even in the leaner and tougher years at the start of my relationship with the team, I’ve always enjoyed working with them, so now to go through this purple patch, which we hope will continue for a good while to come, makes the work even more enjoyable. We’ve got a very exciting finish to this year’s Championship, but I’m also looking forward to helping to develop and race the RB6 in the 2010 World Championship.”
Last edited by djos on 24 Jul 2009, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

natef1
natef1

You should edit that to say re-sign, resign looks like he's quit :lol:

djos

natef1 wrote:You should edit that to say re-sign, resign looks like he's quit :lol:

:lol: fixed
"In downforce we trust"