Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

axle

Re: Force India VJM02

ISLAMATRON wrote:are they the only team with air deflecters on the rear floor in front or the rear wheel?
No one appears to have anything as large but there are small deviations in that area on some.

The Renault has the closest thing...but it's not a big curve like that.
- Axle

axle

Re: Force India VJM-02

I have a feeling the rear of the car is heavily compromised due to the late engine deal, I'd expect a version 2 to arrive when they get to Europe.
- Axle

xpensive

I doubt it, when the size, shape and weight of the engines are strictly regulated these days. Exhaust possibly?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ESPImperium

Those air deflectors have just made me think of something, basically a scoop that takes the air from that area and pushes it to the underside of the floor providing the diffuser with more air, posibly making it more effective giving more downforce.

Could that work and is it in the framework of the regs and legal???

Ive got a diagram if you dont get what i mean.

pipex

Is it only me or the front suspension looks similar to the McLaren?

"We will have to wait and see".

siskue2005

yep Force India got a basic chassis from Mclaren, which includes Suspension and other basic things
They developed their own aero in most of the area!

pipex

timbo wrote:Looks impressive!
Who heads their design department now?
James Key is the Technical Director.
Mark Smith is Design Director.
Ian Hall is responsible for the 2009 design.
"We will have to wait and see".

axle

xpensive wrote:I doubt it, when the size, shape and weight of the engines are strictly regulated these days. Exhaust possibly?
Engine, Gearbox, KERS, changed which leads to suspension pickup points, diffusor/floor,exhaust, rear wing and other things being affected...everything and anything could have been affected on the rear of the car...hence I think this is a good start but expect fairly hefty update during the year.

TBH with the new rules I wouldn't rule out any of the cars having a major update.
- Axle

axle

siskue2005 wrote:yep Force India got a basic chassis from Mclaren, which includes Suspension and other basic things
They developed their own aero in most of the area!

No they didn't. They had everything done already but the late deal meant they had to rework the rear of the car.

McLaren might have helped them with all the suspension though because they forced a rear suspension change with the new gearbox.
- Axle

modbaraban

The nose is kinda familiar. EJ10, EJ11 anyone?

timbo

Notice Macca style front suspension. Seems like Macca provided FI with all mechanical solutions...

myurr

Quick and dirty comparison between the VJM02 and the McLaren. Rotation on the photos is a couple of degrees out, so it's difficult to judge exactly, but it looks like the cars are identical in length and all but identical in wheelbase.

Front suspension is pretty close as well, with the unusually (compared to the other cars) rearward mounting of the top wishbone.

Airbox snorkel and seat look like they're in identical positions. As far as I can tell the sidepods start in the same position as well, although they're more undercut on the FI.

Definitely looks like McLaren have been at least sharing some data with them. Very very interesting.

djos

Interesting that they have gone the RB5 style high nose and there is some very interesting uses of bodywork around the front of the side pods.

All in all it's a much more innovative car than I was expecting from Force India.
"In downforce we trust"

wesley123

or those are jsut rules for maximum length etc.

The car doesnt resemble anything from the mclaren(apart from mechanical), they took a clean sheet of paper for this car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium

pipex wrote:
timbo wrote:Looks impressive!
Who heads their design department now?
James Key is the Technical Director.
Mark Smith is Design Director.
Ian Hall is responsible for the 2009 design.
Mark Smith, thats the guy that designed the first Red Bull car the RB1.
James Key has been with FIF1 effectivly since 1998 when it was Jordan.

So with those 2 guys, they are in pretty good shape i feel.