Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

Callum

Re: Force India VJM02

IS it just me or does it look like the nose will create some posative lift?

I like the wing mirrors - genious!

Deerfield805

Re: Force India VJM-02

Can't see a pushrod in the rear suspension. Another pullrod car?

Deerfield805

Not only do I believe Force India will survive and do better, I also believe with the resinding of the 48 million dollar bond, there will be 22 to 24 cars on the grid in 2010. Honda back in business, USF1 and possibly a David Richards led team?

bassimon

Callum wrote:IS it just me or does it look like the nose will create some posative lift?
I guess thats right but they probably take the loss to get a cleaner airflow under the nose wich is directed to the cooling inlets. The TF109 seems to take a similar aproach.
This picture i found very interesting.
Compared to its competitors, the FI has sidepods less undercut at the front but relatively strong undercut at the back. Look at the rb5 or the mcmerc to see the opposite. But there is more interesting on the VJM02s sidepots. First of all, there is this conection of the sidepod deflectors. Me and my knowledge of aerodynamics do not understand their role in guiding air somewhere. Perhaps someone has an explanation for them but the traditional solotion seems much more elegant to me (rb5 or F60 for example). The FI lacks traditional barge boards but has small (turning?) fins mounted to the lower side of the monocoque.
Further on the mid part of the sidepot rearward the location of the radiator attracted my attention. It keeps a very low profile there and raises up again at the inner part for the cover of the exaust pipe.
Moreover the splitter reminded me of the mclaren (i think its mostly because of the uplink to the monocoque) as did the airbox inlet and the front suspension. From what i have seen so far the front suspension might have the same geometry but that is difficult to determine on a basis of pictures. As you should know a change of a few millimetres in suspension geometry can change suspension parametres radically and it is even more difficult to exclude that the geometry does not differ from the mclarens.
What is easy to see is that the tie rods profile is very slim. Lastly the mount of the mirrors is a homage to last years pre-cockpit fins.
TUfast e.V.
Formula Student Team TU Munich

Chassis 2006 - 2010
http://www.tufast.de

mx_tifoso

Please continue this discussion in the original VJM02 thread.

It has already been said in the second post by 'natef1'.

Regarding 'design' discussion, anything whatsoever could be discussed in the original thread. As long as it pertains to the VJM02 of course.

/end thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Belatti

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

rahulsampath

timbo wrote:Looks impressive!
Who heads their design department now?
I think technical Director is James Key and Design Director is Mark Smith.
Overall 2009 car design by Ian Hall.
Last edited by rahulsampath on 01 Mar 2009, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

rahulsampath

siskue2005 wrote:yep Force India got a basic chassis from Mclaren, which includes Suspension and other basic things
They developed their own aero in most of the area!
I think they dont get the complete chassis from Mclaren as per FIA rules.And I dont think FI's frontwing is same as that of Mclaren.Their frontwing architecture seems to be totally different from Mclaren's wing.I think their frontwing is more similar to that of BMW.Image

rahulsampath

myurr wrote:Image

Quick and dirty comparison between the VJM02 and the McLaren. Rotation on the photos is a couple of degrees out, so it's difficult to judge exactly, but it looks like the cars are identical in length and all but identical in wheelbase.

Front suspension is pretty close as well, with the unusually (compared to the other cars) rearward mounting of the top wishbone.

Airbox snorkel and seat look like they're in identical positions. As far as I can tell the sidepods start in the same position as well, although they're more undercut on the FI.

Definitely looks like McLaren have been at least sharing some data with them. Very very interesting.
I think all cars are of same dimensions as per FIA's rules & regulations.And Mclaren is providing FI with suspension.So FI's suspension has to same Mclarens.

Roland Ehnström

rahulsampath wrote:I think all cars are of same dimensions as per FIA's rules & regulations.And Mclaren is providing FI with suspension.So FI's suspension has to same Mclarens.
No, as far as I know there is no rule at all about maximum length (at least the overall length differ a lot between the 2009 cars, and the McLaren is definately not the longest). Wheelbase also differs between cars, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams are the shortest, while Red Bull and Toyota for example has a much longer wheel base. Cockpit position differs a lot, the Ferrari has the cockpit positioned a good 10 cm further to the front than McLaren/FI.

(I did not create this pic, credit should go elsewhere.)

rahulsampath

Roland Ehnström wrote:
rahulsampath wrote:I think all cars are of same dimensions as per FIA's rules & regulations.And Mclaren is providing FI with suspension.So FI's suspension has to same Mclarens.
No, as far as I know there is no rule at all about maximum length (at least the overall length differ a lot between the 2009 cars, and the McLaren is definately not the longest). Wheelbase also differs between cars, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams are the shortest, while Red Bull and Toyota for example has a much longer wheel base. Cockpit position differs a lot, the Ferrari has the cockpit positioned a good 10 cm further to the front than McLaren/FI.

(I did not create this pic, credit should go elsewhere.)
Sorry,I think I was wrong.Thanks for the info.

siskue2005

modbaraban wrote:Image
The nose is kinda familiar. EJ10, EJ11 anyone?
Actually it looks like F2000
see :shock:
Image 8)

waynes

all i can say is "WOW"

along with the Williams and Ferrari, that is the best looking of the new generation of cars

Bravo Force India =D>

Sawtooth-spike

Wow, I think FI get much more bang for there buck then other teams. Lots off really good idea all over the place. I would not be suprised if we see other team with those wing mirror wings before the end of the season.

I think the back then looks more like the renalt than anything else. Mainly as it goes a long way back.

Its a good car, Nice example to incoming teams of what you can do on a smaller budget. Hope they get some points this year.

Unfotunatly somebody has to be a the back.... will this car make sure its not FI? We will see in a few weeks time
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

mx_tifoso

The area under the air intake is similar to the McLaren.

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.