What exactly is this STR that Jani is driving?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
megz

What exactly is this STR that Jani is driving?

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/videos/jani-m ... tunnel_93/

It appears, at first, to be the STR1 with this years livery, at least from the front. Inboard wing mirrors, basic front wing running with the upper cascades introduced in Turkey '06. But then there is the rear, it won't be running the Cosworth V10 so it's got a Ferrari V8 (we imagine) but a sharkfin? no indy fins, chimneys or t-wings, '08 or earlier rear wing...

Scotracer

Re: What exactly is this STR that Jani is driving?

It's a STR1 as you can see the air-restrictor in the airbox limiting the V10.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

megz

But would they be able to get their hands on a Ferrari V10 or would they be allowed to run the Cosworth V10 despite the contract with Ferrari, that's what I'm getting at.

The sidepods also appear to be the STR1's but the shark fin and other revisions to the rest of the sidepod are rather a bit puzzling.

djos

Thats not an STR car, its a bastardised RB1 with RB3/4 Style Wings and intake etc grafted on to it + the version in the video has sidepods which have been made to look more like the RB5 by using shark gills to replace the chimneys..

Original RB1

Check the Mirrors and front suspension design if you want conclusive proof. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

MattyT

Definately also RBR Livery rather than STR.

megz

Could have sworn they claimed it to be an STR at first but the caption and video make it obvious its a Red Bull, also the front and rear wings IMO are certainly from the STR1/RBR1 - only thing is that it was the STR front wing that had the cascades. :S haha good to see you can just throw pieces together to make a car though :lol:

Scotracer

megz wrote:But would they be able to get their hands on a Ferrari V10 or would they be allowed to run the Cosworth V10 despite the contract with Ferrari, that's what I'm getting at.

The sidepods also appear to be the STR1's but the shark fin and other revisions to the rest of the sidepod are rather a bit puzzling.
The Cosworth engine was limited to 16,800rpm and virtually bulletproof. I bet they use 1 for many events.

megz

The Cosworth engine was limited to 16,800rpm and virtually bulletproof. I bet they use 1 for many events.
That's not what I was getting at, I'm thinking there would be some contractual obligations stating that they CAN'T run any other engine. Which would mean it'd probably be a Renault V8 I'd imagine... ?

Scotracer

megz wrote:
That's not what I was getting at, I'm thinking there would be some contractual obligations stating that they CAN'T run any other engine. Which would mean it'd probably be a Renault V8 I'd imagine... ?
I don't see why they would have to change the engine in a car that originally had a different one. I don't think Renault would care...