Toro Rosso STR4

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kilcoo316

Re: Torro Rosso STR4

Just to torpedo all this - 2009 is the last year STR are excempt from the current customer/master team regulations.

Next year they have to design their own aerodynamic platform. This was said by their tech head as lately as this week.

ISLAMATRON

18 cars without customer deals or 24-30 cars with customer cars... take your pic.

I'd rather the full grids please.

SoliRossi

ISLAMATRON wrote:18 cars without customer deals or 24-30 cars with customer cars... take your pic.

Could not have put it better myself.

In a climate where cost cutting and the survival of the sport are the main headlines its crazy to think that the rule makers/teams are moving away from this.

If an organisation like Honda cant afford F1 then where does it leave the sport??

Dont get me wrong, i love the privateer teams, ala Williams, Brawn and RBR but to legislate against customer cars because Frank does not like it is silly.

ISLAMATRON

Especially when Frank started his own team with customer chassis.

andartop

ISLAMATRON wrote:18 cars without customer deals or 24-30 cars with customer cars... take your pic.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind 18 cars half of which are actually racing at all if the alternative might be 6 cars which are racing and another 18 replicas circling around like nothing more than moving adverts..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Scania

Confusion at Toro Rosso!
March 10, 2009

Had dinner with Sebastien Buemi’s Dad last night and he explained the problems the Toro Rosso team is having with deciding what names to use over the radio to differentiate between the two drivers, Buemi and Sebastien Bourdais. Both are called Sebastian, both are nicknamed ‘Seb’, both have the initials SB, both are French speaking and guess what, both of them have the same middle name… Olivier! What are the chances of that?

They are scratching their heads. It’ll have to be car 11 and car 12, so litterally they will be saying, “Come in number 11 your time is up..!”
How about just call Bourdais "four eyes"? :mrgreen:

Roland Ehnström

Or why not call Bourdais "Bourdais" and Buemi "Buemi". Too obvious? :)

axle

Scania wrote: How about just call Bourdais "four eyes"? :mrgreen:
Not funny, v. childish.
- Axle

dumbdave

Roland Ehnström wrote:Or why not call Bourdais "Bourdais" and Buemi "Buemi". Too obvious? :)
Could sound a bit too similar over a bad radio though...

They should get callsigns like fighter pilots 8)

Kester

"Bored" and "Boom" would work fine surely?

axle

Clever, they've made 3 diffuser exits...the main 750mm one and 2x very shallow but incorporated 125mm exits...thus using the full width and extending the majority using the wing end plates. Ahh and the endplates turn the top of the diffuser into a sealed wing with gurney flap. For the life of me I can't see how this hasn't been copied yet!

http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_102.jpg
- Axle

DM0407

axle wrote:
Scania wrote: How about just call Bourdais "four eyes"? :mrgreen:
Not funny, v. childish.

Then your going to hate this, how about:

Surrender and Neutral... F1 is all about nationality right?

Probably shouldn't carry this analogy over to the BMW forums :?

Conceptual

Why differentiate? Just label the buttons in the pits, so you are talking to the right driver...

Surely, both drivers don't always hear what the team is telling the other all the time?

With all of the money in F1, you would think that the teams could talk to only one car at a time if they choose...

tk421

Conceptual wrote:Why differentiate? Just label the buttons in the pits, so you are talking to the right driver...
Surely, both drivers don't always hear what the team is telling the other all the time?
With all of the money in F1, you would think that the teams could talk to only one car at a time if they choose...
This reminds me of one of the funnier radio transmissions I've heard during a race: "Uhh, I don't speak Italian!!"--Scott Speed. The STR engineer thought he was giving an update to Vitantonio Liuzzi, but he was really on the radio with Scott Speed. Malaysia 2007, I believe. Anyway I got a kick out of it when they aired it.
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

roost89

What are people's first impressions of Seb. Buemi?
And if he continues on like this (getting better position than Seb. Bourdais) will we be seeing the last of Bourdais, in F1, this season?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green