2010 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tok-tokkie

Re: 2010 cars

scarbs wrote:A simple biog:
I have a normal full time job here in the UK, no longer related to F1.
My spare time is taken up with being freelance F1 journo covering the technical side of the sport for various websites, magazines and TV stations. I get to go to launches, tests, races and interview the Tech directors in between all that.
I am very pleased to know that. A lot of opinions are presented here as fact. Knowing that your information is factual means we can trust it. Your informed opinions will also be interesting to know. (Whereas uninformed opinions really confuse when the reader is also uninformed & can't distinguish between the two - I am one of those.)

machin

SoliRossi wrote:But a car with greater df will not necessarily be more fuel hungry, as surely they will be able to carry more more corner speed.
I think that more power (and hence fuel) is required simply to keep the car at a higher speed than to accelerate between a lower speed and the same higher speed (power is proportional to speed cubed).... so the car with higher downforce not only has more drag but also it burns more fuel during cornering simply because it is cornering at a higher speed....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

pipex

Found this article by accident. It's a conversation with a former F1 engineer about the changes in the fuel tank size in 2010...
http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=114677
Looks interesting, he says that a redistribution of the fuel in the car could be done in order to reduce the effect of the variation of the fuel mass in the race.
"We will have to wait and see".

siskue2005

pipex wrote:Found this article by accident. It's a conversation with a former F1 engineer about the changes in the fuel tank size in 2010...
http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=114677
Looks interesting, he says that a redistribution of the fuel in the car could be done in order to reduce the effect of the variation of the fuel mass in the race.
From what he is saying.....is it legal to electronically control were the fuel is in the tank? During the race?
Is it possible

ISLAMATRON

it is legal, it is possible and it has been done for quite some time

Pandamasque

No fluids are allowed to be used as ballast AFAIK. Unless the rule has been changed lately.

xpensive

Regarding the new Toro Rosso, is anyone but me xpecting it to have more than a vague resemblence to the RBR6,
even though they cannot share IP officially anymore?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Fil

siskue2005 wrote:From what he is saying.....is it legal to electronically control were the fuel is in the tank? During the race?
Is it possible
As Islam alluded, the way in which the fuel bladder contracts has been controlled by its check-valve design for a while now. so i'm not sure why it is noted in the article that this is going to be much different this season.
xpensive wrote:Regarding the new Toro Rosso, is anyone but me xpecting it to have more than a vague resemblence to the RBR6,
yep, i'm expecting the two to still be very very similar.
in my head its just logical that if the funds are coming from the same Austrian account, and previous years have had the same design concepts.. that the future will have the same directions.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

djos

Fil wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:From what he is saying.....is it legal to electronically control were the fuel is in the tank? During the race?
Is it possible
As Islam alluded, the way in which the fuel bladder contracts has been controlled by its check-valve design for a while now. so i'm not sure why it is noted in the article that this is going to be much different this season.
xpensive wrote:Regarding the new Toro Rosso, is anyone but me xpecting it to have more than a vague resemblence to the RBR6,
yep, i'm expecting the two to still be very very similar.
in my head its just logical that if the funds are coming from the same Austrian account, and previous years have had the same design concepts.. that the future will have the same directions.
Yeah im expecting RBR to accidentally leave a key to the back door of the design office lying around while STR staff are "paying RB HQ a visit". :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

xpensive

This is where the "resource-cap" could fail, what stops Adrian Newey from leaving a few CDs with Tost after lunch?

Two times the maximum staff essentially working on the same car?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Fil

xpensive wrote:This is where the "resource-cap" could fail, what stops Adrian Newey from leaving a few CDs with Tost after lunch?
As long as they don't go to the Surrey photocopying shop.. :lol:
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

ESPImperium

Fil wrote:
xpensive wrote:This is where the "resource-cap" could fail, what stops Adrian Newey from leaving a few CDs with Tost after lunch?
As long as they don't go to the Surrey photocopying shop.. :lol:
Could be the old cigerette pack desing as well harking back to the old days.

Id expect the RB6 and STR5 to be arround 70% the same. However, i think that the STR5 will have some design differences, like a diffrent rear end packaging and front wing. Enough to say that the cars are simmilarly diffrent or differently simmilar from each other.

And whos to say that Red Bull wont just put a "old" RB6 60% model in the trash, and STR may be doing a little bit of the old bin raking at night and find a fully made "STR5" 60% model in the bin.

Pandamasque

Excuse me if this is a stupid question. I expected that fuel filler flaps will be maintained on the cars (at least on one side) to refuel during the practices and quali, nut I can't see any. Is everyone comfortable with using a screwdriver each time they need a splash?

conni

wouldnt they be better to go really radical with the tr5 and use it for experimenting with then pass the good bits over to rb

conni

Fil

Pandamasque wrote:Excuse me if this is a stupid question. I expected that fuel filler flaps will be maintained on the cars (at least on one side) to refuel during the practices and quali, nut I can't see any. Is everyone comfortable with using a screwdriver each time they need a splash?
The mechanism itself used in previous years was rather cumbersome, intrusive & had unwanted mass to it.
You'll find the teams will have a small compartment which will be opened to access a small manual filler neck.

eg. MP4-25 - in between Mobil 1 & Hugo Boss logo.