2010 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: 2010 cars

-experience :I´d think there is a lot of experience in all of those teams .don´t forget Wirth is not new to F1 and he did build and campaign racears of high level throughout all those years.
with lotus ..same
with Dallara ..same
so we could presumably say ,ok new team not everything is perfect there
Next item simulations
Virgin is on a par if not better in this than most teams in F1 their driving simulator is state of the art and used extensively also for driver development

Lotus and dallara can´t judge but they may lack in that area
So this leaves Aero development /efficiency
surely all teams lack at this time aero development

and Ballast if they have build their cars too heavy ,no or less ballast can be used for lowering CG +weight distribution.
the first will inevtably reduce cornering ability ,the other will not help in conserving the tyres and achieving a proper setup due to overworking of the fronts

If your weight distribution is already ok the higher cg still hurts. so give them a further second here

does this all account for something like 5 seconds total? I´m not sure ,5 seconds is a lot.
does it account for 3 seconds ?.Very well possible.will they reel in over the year ?
possibly not ,as the established teams should be able to improve as well and the progress in the new teams is easier achieved in the beginning and harder the more you have found.

Mr Alcatraz

FIA closes door on diffuser loophole
As reported by ESPNF1 last weekend, several teams will have to make modifications to their diffuser designs ahead of the Australian Grand Prix after a ruling by the FIA clamping down on a loophole.

Discussions between the FIA and four teams - understood to be Force India, McLaren, Mercedes and Renault - took place in Bahrain about the size of starter motor holes in their diffusers which were believed to be too wide. While this was not a technical breach of the rules, the FIA's view was that it was not in accordance with the spirit of them.

As a result of FIA inspections and the meeting, a note has been sent out clarifying the exact dimensions allowed. This will mean the four teams will have to make changes before practice in Melbourne next Friday.

http://www.espn.co.uk/formula1/sport/st ... MP=OTC-RSS
We'll have to see if this makes any significant difference in performance!
Opinions?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pedro
Pedro

Outboard mirrors to be banned since China

Which version were F1 teams using in Australia?

Mirrors mounted on sidepod panels

Mirrors mounted on cocpit

McLaren was using outboard mirrors only during practices and qualification at Melbourne.
(Sorry guys, I didn't found any mirror thread. Please, let me know if you do better).

Source: F1news.cz
http://f1news.cz/novinky/34391-zrcatka- ... -uz-v-cine
Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

raceman

Pedro wrote:Outboard mirrors to be banned since China

Source from AUTOSPORT

madly
madly

Source from RF1
The team also had another reason to smile today as the FIA announced that outboard mirrors located on side pods would be banned from the Chinese Grand Prix onwards. Teams must now locate mirrors in their more conventional location – just as they are on the R30. While other teams will have to work on adapting their cars in time for China, we’ll be able to focus solely on improving performance.

Italiano
Italiano

Is this true then or not?

Stupid April 1. .... :x
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

ringo

It's going to mess up the flow over the side pods. Having them to the side and behind the wheel's wake is the cleaner option.
For Sure!!

Poleman

Its April 3d today and this was just updated on Formula1.com.Are we still talking about april fools or indeed outboard mirrors are banned?

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 6/737.html
Formula1.com wrote:Three races into the season the FIA have declared outboard mirrors too dangerous and have banned them. The ban was to come in at the forthcoming Chinese Grand Prix, but after the teams complained of time constraints, it will instead be introduced from May's Spanish race. Ferrari were the first team to place their mirrors on the extremities of their car's sidepods back in 2006 (see drawing). Since then several teams have designed similar solutions, and currently six - Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams, BMW Sauber, Force India and HRT - are using mirrors attached to the vertical turning vanes in front of the sidepods. Mirrors don't usually have a good aerodynamic shape, but by putting them in the flow of air coming from the front tyres - an area already disturbed by drag - their negative influence is reduced. The difference they make is thought to be approximately half of one-tenth of a second per lap.

ringo

What's the engine and gearbox statistics now at the half way point?
For Sure!!

Francesc
Francesc

Does anyone know which teams are using the retarded ignition system? I would say Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Renault, I'm right?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I'm thinking Williams too. But I don't know.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)