Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mx_tifoso

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Yeah it's a show car from last year, since all of the MP4-25 chassis are in Bahrain now; 2 race and 1 spare.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Raptor22

Looks like McLaren are taking two bodywork kits to Bahrain. Somehow I get the feeling that they're not very confident wrt to the legality of their rear wing and shark fin arrangement

twoshots

No matter how confident they are, if the FIA deems it illegal, they are going to look pretty stupid if they have no alternative. It would be a very expensive waste of everyones time shipping all their gear to Bahrain just to be spectators.

The only sensible thing to do is take a plan B and race with that if the sh*t hits the fan, so to speak. Seems like a perfectly sensible decision to me.

Just_a_fan

Raptor22 wrote:Looks like McLaren are taking two bodywork kits to Bahrain. Somehow I get the feeling that they're not very confident wrt to the legality of their rear wing and shark fin arrangement
They do have "history" with the FIA so they're probably worried that the "Max influence" might still get them...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gibells

I'm hoping the Todt era is a fresh start for 'us'. 'Us' being McLaren & fans!

Just_a_fan

gibells wrote:I'm hoping the Todt era is a fresh start for 'us'. 'Us' being McLaren & fans!
Hopefully a fresh start for all fans (except maybe the tifosi :wink: )
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gibells

The imfamous engine cover. Pity we can't get a better look underneath.

@Ciro. I'm nervous to post this here. lol.

bonjon1979

I think the fin is part of the rearwing structure rather than the engine cover. I doubt they'll be leaving that lying about for people to have a nose around!

B

Spencifer_Murphy

is it me or are those vents (just above the sidepod inlets) bigger than we've seen at the previous tests.

(It would make some sence seeing as the temperature in bahrain is likely to be higher than Spain.)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Confused_Andy

No, they've just not inserted the gap pannel...

The opening you can see there would create an insane amount of drag.

MattF1

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:is it me or are those vents (just above the sidepod inlets) bigger than we've seen at the previous tests.

(It would make some sence seeing as the temperature in bahrain is likely to be higher than Spain.)
It would appear that the vents are on separate panels and are not attached in this photo, remember sometimes they are blanked off and then open.

It would make more sense for them to be separate as they would need many covers for different cooling congfigurations.

EDIT: What he said above

Pup
Pup

Interesting shot - you can really tell here just how round the fin is. Or is it in fact more round than before? Who was it who said there was a version with a more cylindrical section coming soon?

cobart

Pup wrote:Interesting shot - you can really tell here just how round the fin is. Or is it in fact more round than before? Who was it who said there was a version with a more cylindrical section coming soon?

Interesting in this picture is radiator position. I think the ducts on the top/front of the sidepods are located in front of radiators.

timbo

So, from this pic it seems that the upper wing element is not in fact fed by the fin...
Is this a wrong thread to say it? :)

mx_tifoso

timbo wrote:So, from this pic it seems that the upper wing element is not in fact fed by the fin...
Is this a wrong thread to say it? :)
Not if you want to get banned! :twisted: :lol:

jk
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.