Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ell66

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

chill210 wrote:
SiLo wrote:Anthony Davidson just said that Mclaren have done away with the side springs from the rear (front? cant remember) suspension which can aid traction but will lift the front of the car on turn in.
I believe that mclaren have got rid of the springs completely from the front of the car, this has made the car worse on braking because there is no give at the front of the car (why jenson is struggling with locking brakes) but enables good cornering a greater top end because they can get on the power earlier which in turn maximises there strengths top end speed. if they can solve the stopping problems mclaren will fly. (if they could get some movement out of the tire ie lower pressures this could help but it would then be harder to turn the tire on get more heat in to it, or maybe get the carbon struts to give more to try to get the tire to byte under breaking.

I would be interested to hear your comments on this.
CHILL

May be they are testing for next season,
these problems have been with mclaren in the second half of the season (not being able to turn tires on, braking locking, but the car has been the stiffest on the grid, both drivers have suffered a lot with stopping the cars looking like the have out braked there selves especially at restarts also the front end of the car has broke easily where other cars have took bumps better.
im pretty sure ant said it was only on the rear suspension...

on a side note, did anyone else catch lewis's interview yesterday? talking about the develpoment race etc..and how if mclaren started the year with the best car theyd be unbeatable, he seemed very confident about next years car, he said something along the lines of..."next years car is looking intresting to say the least" but the way in which he said it, caught my eye.

ringo

It's against regulations to have an unsprung suspension.
For Sure!!

Mysticf1

this concept was discussed in a thread about the Williams in iRacing...there are no corner springs only a spring on the 3rd damper.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9094&p=206713

wesley123

ringo wrote:It's against regulations to have an unsprung suspension.
Well, what do we call supsension? When is suspension unsprung? The tyres give some damping, so you could state that that is suspension. Would be great for the ACO as they also homologate complete wings as 'these arent wings but cover plates'
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Halgovern

ell66 wrote:
on a side note, did anyone else catch lewis's interview yesterday? talking about the develpoment race etc..and how if mclaren started the year with the best car theyd be unbeatable, he seemed very confident about next years car, he said something along the lines of..."next years car is looking intresting to say the least" but the way in which he said it, caught my eye.
sorry to be off topic, but i think scarbs tweeted this sometime ago regarding the mp4-26

"McLaren's 2011 KERS - a bit less electronic & a bit more hydraulic. MP4-26 nose also looks a bit TF110 but fatter"

what do you guys think?
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

Agerasia

That under shot of the front wing is showing that mini-skirts have found a way back in :)
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

thestig84

ell66 wrote:
I saw that and thought exactly the same thing! Im a little excited about next years car now although he did say its an evolution of this years :-S

marcush.

the lots of antidive approach will make the car :Not dive under braking as much as it would under the loads you put into the structure.
Basically this makes for a more stable platform =less pitching of the car under braking ...but it also redirects spring forces into the suspension A-Arms instead of the car springs and dampers.
This might be one of the explanations why the car is on the one hand looking stable but also seems to be very unresponsive on the front end..they simply direct a lot of the forces through the A-Arms and have no possibility to adjust by Damper and Spring settings on corner entry (under brakes).

feynman

Nice bit of black carbon fibre for both McLaren's rear-wing main-plane ... no time for the paint-shop, straight out of someone's hand-luggage and onto the car for the last Saturday of the season.

Placeholder photo till something closer shows up:

thestig84

No that version of rear wing has always had a black lower element, Im sure they have had time to paint it since Japan.

deus1066

feynman

thestig84 wrote:No that version of rear wing has always had a black lower element, Im sure they have had time to paint it since Japan.
Both elements were painted red in Brazil, as it has been all season.
Brazil:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... 321wri.jpg

The Friday practice photos show a red main plane. I'm pretty sure the wing they ran today (on both cars) was hot out the autoclave.

thestig84

feynman wrote:
thestig84 wrote:No that version of rear wing has always had a black lower element, Im sure they have had time to paint it since Japan.
Both elements were painted red in Brazil, as it has been all season.
Brazil:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... 321wri.jpg

The Friday practice photos show a red main plane. I'm pretty sure the wing they ran today (on both cars) was hot out the autoclave.
Sorry your incorrect. Brazil wing picture you have is back to older spec. See here Korean shots with black lower element
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7495&start=3390

feynman

Well there you go.

As recompense, here's the bollard shot:

SiLo

haha, thats quite menacing!
Felipe Baby!