Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

look on the 25's wheelbase. Wonder what they are going to do with the 26's tank?
For Sure!!

MikeFromCanada

I think perspective is playing a role in that photo. Also it appears the McLaren is parked ahead of the other 2 cars by a bit.

Not disputing the MP4-25's wheelbase being long however, it's definitely one of the longer on the grid.

raymondu999

wasn't there a wheelbase comparison photo a while back which aligned the stock photos of all the cars with the rear tyre being same size and place?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

So any ideas how Hamilton was able to go so much faster in Q3? Most of his gain was in the third sector where he went approximately half a second quicker than he was able to in Q2 and was second only to Vettel in pace. Have McLaren figured out a more aggressive engine map for the blown diffuser that they can only use for a limited period?

ell66
ell66

i think its been pretty obvious all year that theyv had one of the, if not the longest wheelbase.
myurr wrote:So any ideas how Hamilton was able to go so much faster in Q3? Most of his gain was in the third sector where he went approximately half a second quicker than he was able to in Q2 and was second only to Vettel in pace. Have McLaren figured out a more aggressive engine map for the blown diffuser that they can only use for a limited period?
i dont think so, the track is a better fit than brazil...mainly becsuse its an incredibly smooth surface, with little to no bumps...coupled that with hamilton putting in a monster of a lap.

oh and the new rear wing is working at last.

wesley123
wesley123

Hamilton really seems to love this circuit, he put in pole last year with an incredible lap and was heading for the win. I really think he can challenge for the win here, he simply is the best on the laps here. He simply could close the gap on the dominant RB third sector.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

myurr wrote:So any ideas how Hamilton was able to go so much faster in Q3? Most of his gain was in the third sector where he went approximately half a second quicker than he was able to in Q2 and was second only to Vettel in pace. Have McLaren figured out a more aggressive engine map for the blown diffuser that they can only use for a limited period?
Sadly it was the driver's affinity to the track, not the car that gave that sector 3 performance. If Button was closer say even a tenth or two in the sector, then we could say the car got better traction wise..but nope.. Hope they find a solution next year though, that was one thing the Silver Donkey of 2009 had going for it.

All in all, I think "we" were the 3rd best car this year. We were good at everything but exceptional at nothing. With the new rule changes, single deck diffuser, adjustable rear wings and KERS coming up for next year, I am a little concerned about Mclaren's prospects when faced against the Genius who revels in new rules changes: Adrian Newey.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

n smikle wrote:
myurr wrote:
All in all, I think "we" were the 3rd best car this year. We were good at everything but exceptional at nothing.

completely disagree.

redbull was the best handling.

mclaren was the fastest in a straight line

only the ferrari had both

Giblet
Giblet

murtoidf1 wrote: redbull was the best handling.

But neither in spades. The driver and pundits alike have all said the Ferrari is very good at everything, but doesn't excell anywhere in particular.

Alonso has said it is the best car he's ever driven, which is saying a lot after the 2006 Renault and 2007 Mclaren.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

Giblet wrote:

But neither in spades. The driver and pundits alike have all said the Ferrari is very good at everything, but doesn't excell anywhere in particular.

Alonso has said it is the best car he's ever driven, which is saying a lot after the 2006 Renault and 2007 Mclaren.
well all the drivers say that because the cars are being developed each year

BJH_F1
BJH_F1

It was interesting to note Mclaren's resurgence of performance last weekend - most of which I feel was down to the smoothness of the track. Seems the 25's aero at the end of the year was actually pretty good, but often masked by the horrid mechanical grip and compliance of the car, which seemed to hamper them a lot on anything less the ideal/glass smooth surface which they seem to design their cars around #-o

On the other hand, I feel Ferrari was the complete opposite. They had a very compliant car (I think they have a bit of flexy chassis) with excellent mechanical grip, with only decent aero.

Should be interesting to see how things turn out next year. I just hope RBR don't come running out of the gates a mile ahead once again. [-o<

astracrazy
astracrazy

murtoidf1 wrote:
Giblet wrote:

well all the drivers say that because the cars are being developed each year
maybe but hamilton wouldn't say 09 was better than 08 and 07

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

He actually said its the best car he has ever driven.

raymondu999

jason.parker.86 wrote:
Says it every year. Sorry to b*tch but this is just one area where Lewis just seems very plastic and "press robot" like... every new car is the best handling he ever has. It's the most planted too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

raymondu999 wrote:
jason.parker.86 wrote:
Says it every year. Sorry to b*tch but this is just one area where Lewis just seems very plastic and "press robot" like... every new car is the best handling he ever has. It's the most planted too.
For us driving an F1 car is more of a dream. For him its a profession and he as to be professional during interviews. It's not his fault, but thats what's expeected of a modern f1 driver..

Button is more honest abut the car and its lack of grip, and as a result he often comes across as constantly whining, even when he's being honest.