Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

To be shaken down on the 4th of Febuary at Silverstone, most probably arround the Stowe Curicit where the Brawn BGP001 was shaken down last year with the Williams FW32 just this past week.

Im looking forward to seeing the first of the new teams cars for sure.

outer_bongolia

Re: Virgin Racing-Cosworth VR-01 (Pre Realease Thread)

Some people have been talking about pictures of the Virgin car. Can anyone post it? It would be interesting to see what they did with CFD.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

raceman

outer_bongolia wrote:Some people have been talking about pictures of the Virgin car. Can anyone post it? It would be interesting to see what they did with CFD.
yeh, true; JUST with the CFD

hmm, would be quite interesting to watch them racing :wink:

axle

Astro1 wrote:The car is going to be released April 1st.
:roll:

No it won't, Branson wouldn't be involved if the team was going to fail to turn up as it would be a PR nightmare.
- Axle

RacingManiac

raceman wrote:
outer_bongolia wrote:Some people have been talking about pictures of the Virgin car. Can anyone post it? It would be interesting to see what they did with CFD.
yeh, true; JUST with the CFD

hmm, would be quite interesting to watch them racing :wink:
Its been done, just not in F1.....

Despite being relatively less competitive than the Audi or the Peugeot, the Acura LMP is still in the same ballpark....

christopher.mahlon

RacingManiac wrote: Its been done, just not in F1.....

Despite being relatively less competitive than the Audi or the Peugeot, the Acura LMP is still in the same ballpark....
This is slightly off topic, but bear with me; I think I can pull it through.

The Acura car wasn't designed for the same things as the Audis or the Peugeots. Audi and Peugeot had as their primary goal to race and win at Le Mans, and the car was designed for that. Acura, as far as I remember, wasn't designing their P1 car to run at Le Mans. They designed their car for the American tracks where the car would primarily be racing. As a result of this decision they decided to go with a lightweight, naturally aspirated, gasoline powered engine. While they were designing the car they were counting on competition from Audi at least, but reckoned that the few tracks where the diesel cars had an advantage would be more than made up for by the tighter tracks that would give their cars the advantage, since those tracks make up the majority of the American Le Mans Series calendar. The car was designed like a formula one car, then, with the focus being not on top speed-- the car wouldn't be going to Le Mans, and the only other REALLY high speed tracks on the calendar were Road Atlanta, Sebring, and Miller Motorsports Park-- but instead on making the car have unbelievable downforce and grip. They succeeded in that, as evidenced by the car's total dominance all season long, but once it became clear that Audi wouldn't be participating in the series Acura lost all incentive to develop the car through the season, so they didn't. The Acura not being as fast in a straight line isn't a symptom of the fact that the car was designed with CFD, it was a conscious design choice. I think CFD can be successful, and I think the Acura demonstrated how. I look forward to Wirth's design for this car.

segedunum

axle wrote:No it won't, Branson wouldn't be involved if the team was going to fail to turn up as it would be a PR nightmare.
Why? His trains have done the same thing for years.

RacingManiac

christopher.mahlon wrote:
RacingManiac wrote: Its been done, just not in F1.....

This is slightly off topic, but bear with me; I think I can pull it through.

*Snip
Agreed, though I have to say they did not fully fulfill the potential, partially because they really end up having no benchmark to shoot for. For a car that really had a day of windtunnel time though, they got it pretty much spot on. Competition improves the breed, it was pretty much the same problem faced by R15 last year. And like the R15 they got some pretty ambitious design feature that really could use more honing with some comparable benchmark to work towards. Racing against yourself/or not at all is not a good way to improve...

Wirth did prove in the process they can indeed design something using CFD pretty much exclusively...

Tbox

5 mins late and counting....

Or have I just not got the right URL?

Raptor22

can't find anything on their website either :x

imightbewrong

Virgin twitter wrote:Live launch running a little bit late at the momment ...Everything is fine...watch for update!!!! Modern Technology...
https://twitter.com/virginf1racing

Tbox

imightbewrong wrote:
Virgin twitter wrote:Live launch running a little bit late at the momment ...Everything is fine...watch for update!!!! Modern Technology...
https://twitter.com/virginf1racing
Hope their CFD computer has been working better...

raceman

via Twitter

@virginf1racing
Due to technical hitch launch not live via website....

their supercomputer crashed?? :lol:

walter

virgin via twitter update:

"I can confirm the launch has taken place at Silverstone.... But NOT shown live www.virginracing.com as promsied...OOOOPPPPSSSS"

I love the human factor of such calculated moments.