Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
PaulB
72
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Again my question:

Does somebody knows, where the electronic box is placed? I think it should be in the cockpit, but i don't know.

This is the device:
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... G-310B.asp
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer
2
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Very interesting to see how that LR wheel failed.

mach11
mach11
0
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: India

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

zgred....

Awesome Pictures... really...

Awesome...
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

timbo
timbo
122
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 am

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

When Vettel's engine died, what was that mercury like stuff that seemed to be leaking? Cooling liquid?

scarbs
scarbs
388
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:47 am
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

PaulB wrote:Again my question:

Does somebody knows, where the electronic box is placed? I think it should be in the cockpit, but i don't know.

This is the device:
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... G-310B.asp
Most other teams mount it in the sidepod fed by cooling air from the main radiator duct. I've not checked the RB6 but most teams have it in the righthand sidepod.

NB: McLarens SECU is mounted down low in the middle of the monocoque. It basically sits down below the drivers thighs\knees in the pointed section of chassis that forms the top of the splitter. Historically McLaren were the only team to position it there, which is why the SECU gets its unique triangular shape. When MES supplied the entire gridit kept its shape.

Pic from my KERS analysis shows the secu (grey)
http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/kers.jpg

User avatar
PaulB
72
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

scarbs wrote:
PaulB wrote:Again my question:

Does somebody knows, where the electronic box is placed? I think it should be in the cockpit, but i don't know.

This is the device:
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... G-310B.asp
Most other teams mount it in the sidepod fed by cooling air from the main radiator duct. I've not checked the RB6 but most teams have it in the righthand sidepod.

NB: McLarens SECU is mounted down low in the middle of the monocoque. It basically sits down below the drivers thighs\knees in the pointed section of chassis that forms the top of the splitter. Historically McLaren were the only team to position it there, which is why the SECU gets its unique triangular shape. When MES supplied the entire gridit kept its shape.

Pic from my KERS analysis shows the secu (grey)
http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/kers.jpg


Thank you!
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

univex
univex
1
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 am

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Interesting comment on the battle in Red Bull qualifying. Given the difference in size and weight of the two drivers, suggestions that MW is actually often faster than SV on corrected times. Does the position of up to 10kg of ballast effect the performance to such an extent? Tony is suggesting 4 metres of track space is often the difference, and says yes! No doubt WB will disagree.
Tony Dodgins (Autosport Plus) wrote:As much as I think Webber has done a superb job this year, love what the bloke stands for and would dearly love to see him win this year's championship, Vettel is a good guy too and you can't be other than impressed by his current form under pressure.

For the second successive race there was just seven hundredths of a second between the pair in Korean qualifying, which equates to around four metres, or less than the length of a Red Bull RB6 if you prefer.

Every time that happens I feel frustrated on Webber's behalf because, probably, he's done the better job. Why? Because when you're 6ft2ins and at least 10 kilos heavier than the little guy in the other car no matter how drawn your face looks, you can't play with the ballast and optimise set-up as much as he can. It's fractions, but that's all we're talking about.

You can't saw your legs off and the problem is never going to go away but to consistently get that close to someone as quick as Vettel and often beat him, is a damned good effort. Compounding the problem, every time it happens you get lumbered with the dirty side of the grid and are often disadvantaged against the guy starting behind you, which is a rude slap in the face when these cars are as hard to pass as they are.
Last edited by univex on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

univex
univex
1
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 am

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Crunch time for Red Bull (BBC Sport).

This is an interesting insight into the development of the RB6, and demonstrates how the car is being developed, quite rightly, around Sebastian. Makes you think again about who is the better driver in the team, particularly when you take into consideration the extra 10kg Webber weighs, and 928S (Korea GP Thread), take on how driving affects engine reliability.
Mark Hughes (BBC Sport) wrote:At this part of the season, Webber was genuinely able to get more from the car's exhaust-blown diffuser.

In its initial form, this component required a very specific driving technique to maximise the time on open throttle - which increased the downforce boost from the exhaust plume - and Webber was superb at it, consistently squeezing just that little bit more from it than his team-mate.

Vettel continued to be better at living with a little bit of entry oversteer, and that ability to adapt to the car moving around him was maybe partly why he was not as insistent on adapting his technique to a feature that calmed the rear end as soon as you got on the throttle.

From Valencia onwards however, the Renault engine was running software that retarded the ignition off-throttle, using the extra heat created to maintain exhaust flow to the diffuser even off-throttle.

Suddenly that downforce boost was there even during braking and Webber's specialised technique was no longer required. That improvement, in other words, took away a key Webber advantage.
Read the full article on BBC Sport

segedunum
segedunum
0
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

I can buy that theory to be honest. Webber has long been quite aggressive on the throttle in corners. Initially the car would have been better suited to a driver who could keep his foot in the throttle around corners but that advantage would obviously be lessened with the addition of off-throttle ignition. Goodness knows what a driver like Senna would have made of it.......

segedunum
segedunum
0
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

timbo wrote:When Vettel's engine died, what was that mercury like stuff that seemed to be leaking? Cooling liquid?
Impossible to tell. With such a failure the whole thing is going to be one thick soup.

User avatar
forty-two
0
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

segedunum wrote:
timbo wrote:When Vettel's engine died, what was that mercury like stuff that seemed to be leaking? Cooling liquid?
Impossible to tell. With such a failure the whole thing is going to be one thick soup.
I wondered about that. Whatever it was, it looked to be white hot.

Is magnesium used in or around the engine bay of an F1 car? I think I read somewhere that it was permitted, but had to be over a certain thickness.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Could be aluminum. Not hard to melt aluminum. Magnesium and sodium would just combust right away.
.. ... ... ... ...

lolzi
lolzi
0
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

segedunum wrote:I can buy that theory to be honest. Webber has long been quite aggressive on the throttle in corners. Initially the car would have been better suited to a driver who could keep his foot in the throttle around corners but that advantage would obviously be lessened with the addition of off-throttle ignition. Goodness knows what a driver like Senna would have made of it.......
Senna, if I remember correctly, used to go on and off the throttle all the time - I would think he would have thought it was utter crap :lol:

User avatar
PaulB
72
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Does anybody know, where a Formula 1 car (especially the RB6) has its battery?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

User avatar
raymondu999
151
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Actually I was reading Pat Symonds' piece in the October (I think?) F1 Racing magazine. And he said that the best line for an EBD was brake late, late apex. Mark, he said, caught on to this quickest and changed his line. Martin Brundle has always commented this year that Mark's line was very unique in some places, like how Mark has a VERY wide entry into Parabolica (Monza) and he has a very weird line that goes deep in Melbourne Turn 6...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法