Sauber C29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
horse

Re: Sauber C29

This is VERY interesting!

Look how the channel travels into the main element, not the flap (top arrow).

Also notice that the original slot system (bottom arrrow) is still being used. How these systems work together is a mystery!

(I've copied this post into the stall thread in the aerodynamics section)
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Michiba

horse wrote:This is VERY interesting!

Also notice that the original slot system (bottom arrrow) is still being used. How these systems work together is a mystery!

That is very interesting, a passive system coupled to an active system.

nacho

Interesting to see how much they gain, they were pretty bad on straights in Bahrain.

HungryHebbo

Am I the only person thinking that the F-duct system on the Macca ISN'T driver activated? If Sauber have their version being fed from the sidepod, that's hardly going to have a tube going into the cockpit to be closed off now is it?!

It's going to be interesting to see if this one works though :)

raceman

HungryHebbo wrote:Am I the only person thinking that the F-duct system on the Macca ISN'T driver activated? If Sauber have their version being fed from the sidepod, that's hardly going to have a tube going into the cockpit to be closed off now is it?!

it's being fed by a snorkel mounted atop the left sidepod

HungryHebbo

Well yes, ok, terminology description fail on my part. What I was getting at was that the Sauber's feed duct is near enough level with the driver's head, not in front of the driver where piping can be directed past him.

horse

HungryHebbo wrote:Well yes, ok, terminology description fail on my part. What I was getting at was that the Sauber's feed duct is near enough level with the driver's head, not in front of the driver where piping can be directed past him.
I don't think they have a control system for it yet and this is simply the inlet for the main air line to the wing similar to the extra channel used on the snorkel of the McLaren.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Pandamasque

thedutchguy wrote:Slightly larger picture:

Definitely a blown rear wing. Not as smooth looking as on the McLaren though.
Note that the 150mm slot in the main plane is still there (just under fin-pipe thing) just like on the older version of their blown wing ( -> #2)
Last edited by Pandamasque on 25 Mar 2010, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Giblet

Nope it's for cooling.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

dren

horse wrote:This is VERY interesting!

The bottom opening works the same way the split inbetween the wings work. It's small because of the regulations. It allows a steeper angle on the rear wing to be used.

The tube blows air into a more than likely hollow bottom wing which has a slot that blows onto the backside of the wing, just like the Mclaren.
Honda!

thestig84

HungryHebbo wrote:Am I the only person thinking that the F-duct system on the Macca ISN'T driver activated? If Sauber have their version being fed from the sidepod, that's hardly going to have a tube going into the cockpit to be closed off now is it?!

I think you may well be the only one, or def in the minority! Sauber device looks like it isnt switchable yet. It took Mclaren a lot longer probably due to getting the activation working well. I dont really understand the device if its not switchable??

Dont think they will run with it in the race. Maybe just testing this weekend, still impressive how quickly they have acted.

horse

dren wrote:The tube blows air into a more than likely hollow bottom wing which has a slot that blows onto the backside of the wing, just like the Mclaren.
McLaren blow the flap though, not the main element. Is there any advantage to stalling the main element rather than the flap?
Giblet wrote:Nope it's for cooling
Is this a little bit of hard cheese, Giblet? :wink:

Giblet

thestig84 wrote:

I think you may well be the only one, or def in the minority! Sauber device looks like it isnt switchable yet. It took Mclaren a lot longer probably due to getting the activation working well. I dont really understand the device if its not switchable??

Dont think they will run with it in the race. Maybe just testing this weekend, still impressive how quickly they have acted.
If it isn't switchable, it should still work, but also work at lower speeds, which means they just need compensate with a steeper wing than Mclaren does. I would guess since the wings don't do very much until a certain speed, that the blown flap won't do much either until that certain speed is reached. I though the wings had a negligible effect until over 120km/h.

Maybe the system has a 'sweet spot'.

@horse - Yeah, you might see a dig here or there :twisted:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pedro

I doubt their solution will be more effective than McLaren's one.

If it's being switched automatically, they have to adjust it speed which is higher than the fastest corner not to stall the wing there. Thus it couldn't work on the shorter straights where the top speed is lower than in corner of highest speed.
However McLaren drivers can switch it by the foot whenever they would like to, even on such places.

I do not think it's an issue to let it work automatically by pressure changes but it could be advantage to have manual control over it.

F1news.cz
http://f1news.cz/novinky/34299-sauber-u ... m-mclarenu
Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

Giblet

Sauber has one of the better wind tunnels. They are in a good position to figure it out at home base.