Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

One other thing it will do is posistion the air better for where the snowplough would be on last years Brawn, and with the DDD ban for 2011, more air will have to go under the car for it to work properly in my opinion.

The R29 was crude in relation to the same development on the R30, but if the STR6 can look what the R30 looks to the R29, Torro Rosso will be onto something as well. However, for 2011 im expecting to see more nose cones like the Brawn as the pressure zone and frontal aero map will need to be shifted downward to aid the CoG at the front.

Im gonna say that this is testing for 2011 already started, as we already know that more or less every team is at 50% development on both 2010 and 2011 cars, Lotus are the only team at 100% on the 2011 car development, Mercedes will be %70 on 2011 and im sure that there will be enphisis put toward 2011 for some teams after this weekends GP.

wesley123

well, about the underbodyflow, that was never as important as this year, next year it will be less important, as there are much more gains made out of the wings and bodywork itself then the underbody.

I am busy with my own 2011 car, and what i do is just simply design the splitter very well and make it blend into the sidepods as clean as possible, to get an clean shape over there.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.

wesley123 wrote:well, about the underbodyflow, that was never as important as this year, next year it will be less important, as there are much more gains made out of the wings and bodywork itself then the underbody.

I am busy with my own 2011 car, and what i do is just simply design the splitter very well and make it blend into the sidepods as clean as possible, to get an clean shape over there.
YOU GOT THAT 13TH SPOT??? :roll: :roll:

ESPImperium

The one thing i will say is that the frontal aero maps for 2011 will be the most important element of the car. But the Blown diffusers will also be in use as well as they will try and make the hot air from the upper-siide of the SDD cut the drag from the lower side somehow.

But one thing i will say is that theres still a loophone for the DDD in my opinion, but i cannot prove it.

StrFerrari4Ever

This race could be a very good one for STR, these updates at the front seem interesting & they have said they have a new floor/diffuser for this race. It's going to be interesting which direction they've taken with their new diffuser. Have they gone the RB6's way or a completely different way, time will tell come on FP1!!

wesley123

marcush. wrote:
wesley123 wrote:well, about the underbodyflow, that was never as important as this year, next year it will be less important, as there are much more gains made out of the wings and bodywork itself then the underbody.

YOU GOT THAT 13TH SPOT??? :roll: :roll:
Nope, though i filled in the form and payd the money for the spot :lol:
ESPImperium wrote: But one thing i will say is that theres still a loophone for the DDD in my opinion, but i cannot prove it.
Indeed, i am thinking the same. It is actually what i said about the mclaren, use the floor itself. The floor rules state a flat bottom, so you can just cut holes in them everywhere, as long as the floor stays within its ranges, then you can use an DDD again but you have to cover it with panels wich lay between the step plane and the floor, thus not regulated as above bodywork. But this is just speculation as i havent een the rules 'banning' the DDD

ringo

Don't want to sidetrack, but those vanes under the nose are very effective, i modeled a Merc W01 nose trying to figure it out a couple months back, I added the vanes to it, and in the CFD simmulation the vanes actually reduced the pressure under the nose, meaning the nose would create a little down-force it self or reduce lift.

What you have there is basically a front diffuser. It may produce a little more drag as well, but hungaroring effeciency is not as important as raw downforce.
For Sure!!

Belatti

wesley123 wrote:so effectively we can state such parts are simply pure testing for next year?
OOT but I have always thought that the entire reason for the STR existence was to test for RBR. Dietrich´s plan.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

CEPAT

str5 now with f-duct in testing

wesley123

they said that they wouldnt develop an f-duct because of its price tag, now they start developping with new parts every race? Have they won the lotto or something? Where do they get the money from to do that.

timbo

wesley123 wrote:they said that they wouldnt develop an f-duct because of its price tag, now they start developping with new parts every race? Have they won the lotto or something? Where do they get the money from to do that.
Not a lotto...
Just some leftover blueprints in cafeteria)))

megz

Found it in Red Bull racings scrap pile ;)

vlado09

To me this is a rumor that is unlikely to be true

zgred

mith

Is this wired 'pipe' F-duct inlet?