Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

volarchico wrote:From the pictures and from the description, wouldn't it be pretty safe to say that the "new material" has a lower ultimate yield strength than the engineers predicted. The lower strength and the very high loads of braking and a bump impact caused them both to be stressed past their ultimate yield and *poof*...off come the wheels.
it happened to Virgin ,now it happened to Toro Rosso.It happened to a lot of teams since the beginning that things were not calculated correctly or not calculated at all and went bust.
Toro Rosso is in fact a new outfit in actually being fully responsible for the complete design of their cars, so as they design new parts the possibility to make mistakes has grown compared to last year when it was mainly manufacturing that was already their responsibility.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

One thing im gonna say about the STR5 is that is the only Ferarri powered car that hasnt had a engine failure so far. Making me wonder if they are doing with the 056 that both the works team and BMW Sauber arnt doing.

outer_bongolia

ESPImperium wrote:One thing im gonna say about the STR5 is that is the only Ferarri powered car that hasnt had a engine failure so far. Making me wonder if they are doing with the 056 that both the works team and BMW Sauber arnt doing.
Going slower... :lol:
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

New engine cover:

Afterburner

raymondu999

How is it a new engine cover? Looks same? My untrained eyes could be the killing factor though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

raymondu999 wrote:How is it a new engine cover? Looks same? My untrained eyes could be the killing factor though.
from another angle:

Blackout

Barcelona/Monte carlo

Francesc
Francesc

Re: Toro Rosso STR4

New front wing, vanes added under nose:

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

That looks absolutely horrible!

jwielage
jwielage

Those vanes remind me of the R29.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

raymondu999

I'm quite surprised that STR aren't looking more towards the RB6 for design ideas. I mean, they were based on the same car (RB5) so they should be centered on a similar philosophy...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

well it id good to see they finaly develop the car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The STR5 is a stop-gap car for Torro Rosso, that development may make the front more responsive as Buemi and Alguersauri have been complaining about the front end being pitch sensitive more or less all year, it also looks as if its going to give a venturi effect.

But on the other side of things, it looks as if it will be good for Alguersauri to actually keep a front wing on after taking out another driver in the race.

wesley123
wesley123

so effectively we can state such parts are simply pure testing for next year? That is interresting as such fence makes no sense on the regular nose, maybe they are heading the way the R29 went? IMO it can be effective, only it was done a bit crude.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender