Hispania F110

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Re: Hispania F110

747heavy wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:
eddie wrote:Guys the above time is impressive for the HRT comparing it to their race / quali times...are they running under weight...maybe to try and attract sponsors?
If you saw the car today it was underweight, it only had Bridgestone, Cosworth and the HRT logo on it.

That would be very interesting - IMHO.
Does that mean, that HRT´s car could carry a heap of ballast?
I can see, they run low fuel/low weight, but to be actually able to run under weight, would be impressive for them.
Not saying that it is impossible.
Seemingly thats where Geoff Willis done alot of his work this season, weight reduction and making the wiring looms flow to open up more data channels to the MES ECU. Seemingly the F110 was arround 15-20KG overweight without "quali fuel", and by the end they had more ballast to throw arround than any of the new teams, whitch Lotus had 15-20KG to throw arround at Silverstone seemingly, so id recon that Geoff Millis probably stripped as much as 50KG out of the car, making the car faster by not having the weight on it that the Lotus and Virgin had. Yes it didnt have the downforce that the Lotus had (best cornering car of the 3 new teams) and didnt have the aero efficency that the Virgin had (Best straight line speed) but it was a great effort by the HRT team to make the car the second best car of the new teams overall as it was the most relyable with 12 DNFs to Lotus 14 DNFs and Virgins 18 DNFs.

We may berate the F110 for what it is, but overall it is a mundane F1 car, but im sure that if you were to take it back a decade, it would bet better than what won the championship then. For what they had, and what they team have they have done a great job as well. Many others wouldnt have been able to do the same sort of job.

raymondu999

If they can't pay for a single driver, then... hmm...
http://www.patronisef1.com/index.php/f1 ... rs-in-2011
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

747heavy

That would make for a weight saving of ~9.2% during the season
If we take the 95 kg fixed minimum engine weight and the 620 kg min. car weight into consideration.
Keeping in mind that the monocoque/tub is homologated as well, apart from some production tolerances (as seen with RBR chassis ~1-2kg), makes you think where they could find this amount of weight.
Looks like a serious engineering achievment for me, if the numbers are correct.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

ESPImperium

747heavy wrote:That would make for a weight saving of ~9.2% during the season
If we take the 95 kg fixed minimum engine weight and the 620 kg min. car weight into consideration.
Keeping in mind that the monocoque/tub is homologated as well, apart from some production tolerances (as seen with RBR chassis ~1-2kg), makes you think where they could find this amount of weight.
Looks like a serious engineering achievment for me, if the numbers are correct.
Concidering that their brakes were steel untill after the summer break, and they fact they managed to make some of the bigger elemnts of their suspension out of Magnesium/carbon and not aluminium, that stripped away some weight. Not to mention the fact that Lotus were aiming for a 10% weight reduction wrom when the car made it to Bahrain to their final upgrade package at Silverstone (i think) and actually achiveed 12.4% seemingly, it could have been done with the F110, and the F110 was the heiviest car at the start of the year seemingly, so 9% weight reduction is probably what they achived at the end.

N12ck

Right I thought about making a HRT new car thread until i heard HRT were just using a modified f110 in 2011, so what do you make of this in terms of pace, do you think relatively they will be further back in time and possibly quit, or do you think it may pay off and they may just stay in the same place relative to the rest.
Budding F1 Engineer

Florio

N12ck wrote:Right I thought about making a HRT new car thread until i heard HRT were just using a modified f110 in 2011, so what do you make of this in terms of pace, do you think relatively they will be further back in time and possibly quit, or do you think it may pay off and they may just stay in the same place relative to the rest.
It's all depending on what Geoff Willis can do with a limited amount of resources, and of course as the car is the same chassis, what he can do in terms of development with an outdated tub. I wonder what they're doing in terms of the number of tubs too.... I heard they got 3 from Dallara at the start of 2010, but i'm not sure on what the 2011 saftey testing rules specify, would one need to be taken for crash tests?

cbbcisace

I believe Hispania/Kolles have said they can't use the F110 due to too much modification needed to make it fit the 2011 regs.

Holm86

I Believe this team is dead before halfway through the season.

marcush.

Kolles is serious business.He kept Jordan alive and made possible what we see today.So I´d guess if anyone can keep HRT in the business he´s the man.
Performancewise it is a different story.But i think that is not very high on his Agenda at this time.first get the funds in and this time really get them .

ecapox

Holm86 wrote:I Believe this team is dead before halfway through the season.
I dont think they will even be on the starting grid for the first race. And if for some reason they are, they will not race due to the 107% rule.

Dragonfly

Unfortunately, I share ecapox's opinion.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

astracrazy

me too perhaps they should miss the first 4 fly aways and use that time to improve there car - save money on travel expenses too? surely if they don't quali to race they wouldn't get any money for that anyway?

CMSMJ1

astracrazy wrote:me too perhaps they should miss the first 4 fly aways and use that time to improve there car - save money on travel expenses too? surely if they don't quali to race they wouldn't get any money for that anyway?

You cannot just miss races. You have to attempt to qualify.

Failing to attend races is what killed Arrows in 2002.

They attempted qualli at France, they raced in UK and then failed to run in Spa..and that was it.

If Hispania do not turn up and try to quallify they are dead.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

marcush.

+1
and considering how late they were last year it seems they are almost in a sort of comfort zone this year. :mrgreen: