2011 F1 car concepts

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: 2011 F1 car concepts

I like that idea

make it more accessible to the fans

maybe all the releases are on day 1 for the press, sponsors etc.
then day 2 each team has a different area to show off there car to the public (like a motor show style thing)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Essencially, yes.

If you want the teams to have seprate confrences you can.

This means the cost of a launch is "shared" and all the cars break cover at roughly the same time, meaning they all start on a more or less equal footing for the old idea coppying.

gridwalker
gridwalker

spinmastermic wrote:
Holm86 wrote:In this thread there is also real pictures of a real R30 paintet in the livery. Not only CGI. Whether the pictures is a leak i dont know:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9250&start=15
No, the pictures were a middle finger to Tony Fernandes
Yeah, check out the location for those photos : shooting the car in the workshop like that is indicative of rushing the pics out as soon as possible (pre-empting the results of the Team Lotus livery competition) ... I'd even bet that the glue for the sponsor decals was still drying as the photos were taken.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11620.html

Interesting to see FI taking the 2010 model to Spain in order to have more time developing the VJM04, my question is why even attend the first test? Will they be running the 03 with 04 spec parts? or just the standard VJM03?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

My mistake, it's already been covered in the VJM04 thread, sorry lol

spinmastermic

ajdavison2 wrote:http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11620.html

Interesting to see FI taking the 2010 model to Spain in order to have more time developing the VJM04, my question is why even attend the first test? Will they be running the 03 with 04 spec parts? or just the standard VJM03?
They would get some very good tire data. And they'd be able to test some new bits too.

marcush.
marcush.

in fact they will be the ones having good data for the comparison of bridgestone and the pirellis as they were and as they are at the season opener..
OPf course it will not help in avoiding mistakes in the design of the new car..but then...nobody has that luxury.
Considering Barrichelos comment on the dumbo honda which transformed into a creditable car as soon as the slicks went on it for testing ...we might see some surprises this year.

conni
conni

Re: 2011 cars

timbo wrote:
wesley123 wrote:correct, since 2010 the nose is an homologated part and thus cannot be changed, you can mold parts on though, as long as the crash structure doesnt change.
I wonder, wouldn't teams try to create a smaller front crash-structure with an outer skin for aero-purposes.
yes they do and have done for a few years you build a nose and put a fairing around it

conni

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

i dont know there to put this question.

are there any informations from an engineer or someone who did some cfd tests, about the new downforce ouf the new diffusers? i mean something like, it may have ~40% less downforce or so?

Tozza Mazza

I am designing my own car atm as a kind of hobby thingy, slow but sure.
I am increasingly confused though. The Max width of a car is 1800mm, as stated in the 2011 regs. The max width of a tyre is, however just 380mm. the maximum width of bodwork in between the front and rear wheels is 1400mm.

Surely then 1800-380 = 1420mm, so why are tyres closer to the car than they have to be? they cut out bits of the floor to accomodate, so cars are in fact not running at 1800mm width, unlike it says on the f1 website
QUOTE FIA 'The strict regulations mean that the teams inevitably end up with very similarly sized cars. A typical car will be in the region of 4635mm long, 1800mm wide and 950mm high'

Seems weird, some clearing up on this case would be much appreciated,
If i am being a donkey, please let me know :lol:
TM

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

are you confusing width of wheels with the diameter of wheels? or width of the body with the length of the body perhaps?

Tozza Mazza

I don't know :S thats why I am sooo confused, ruddy regs, worded in ye olde english! (english which is so perfect an englishman cannot understand it, to prevent ingenious loopholes, damn you FIA!!)
Could you clear it up for me. I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!
TM

Tozza Mazza

OH DEAR, I HAVE BEEN A COMPLETE AND UTTER DONKEY!!!!!!!!! #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
I now realise the mistakes i have made, oooooooooops. sorry for any incovenience caused by reading my posts. In future, I will try and be less stupid and promise I won't confuse myself again. :D
TM

Richied76
Richied76

flexable sidepod inlets. Not tested for flex so will be hard to test and outlaw. Wide at low speed for maximum cooling and close up under aero load to reduce drag....Just an idea

forty-two

Richied76 wrote:flexable sidepod inlets. Not tested for flex so will be hard to test and outlaw. Wide at low speed for maximum cooling and close up under aero load to reduce drag....Just an idea
... would qualify as moveable aerodynamic parts, so would be illegal I fear. Nice idea though!

In fact, I'm fairly sure the Ferrari F430 Especiale (needs) road car actually had flexible wings to achieve precisely this.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?