McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

It's a shadow not a hole, framed by the strut that attaches to the turning vain.

HampusA

Well it looks like a hole in this picture.

Last edited by HampusA on 19 Feb 2011, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
The truth will come out...

satlan

I thought it was a sensor 8)

HampusA

That sensor looks significantly smaller then the hole in the above picture.

This is my theory, even though it´s probably so wrong.

And it can´t be a shadow if you look at where the sun is.

Yellow: exhaust
Red: airflow
The truth will come out...

Biscuit

If the exhaust was output that high and working where you indicate the pretty orange vodofone paint wouldn't look so pretty. Same sensor that's shown in the shot a few posts earlier, it's in the exact same symetric position facing the tire.

McLaren have done a pretty awesome job of masking where it is coming out. If it was far forward and to the outside of the sidepods like Renaults we'd have solid pictures of it already. If it is exhausting forward it's somewhere more centralized and much more difficult to spot.

SennaMclaren

Can someone explain why the --- Mclaren again did few laps?
What's the damn problem?
Ferrari and Red-Bull seems ok but MP4/26?Ι'm worry.

raymondu999

And they're not even running flow vis for once. That could've helped us locate it. Could it be a deliberate ploy to stop people from finding the exits?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Steve S14

^ im hoping because of huge confidence and an extremely fast car

Lurk

Maybe the question was already answered but, any reason to monitor rear wing pillar temperature since rear central hole is just supposed to be here for gearbox & hydraulics cooling?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/545 ... 7a0f_o.jpg

myurr

SennaMclaren wrote:Can someone explain why the --- Mclaren again did few laps?
What's the damn problem?
It's because their car isn't an evolution of last years, like the Red Bull and Ferrari, so they're having more teething problems. They had reasonable running today in the afternoon, but were stuck in the garage for a few hours this morning with hydraulic problems.

It's nothing to worry about yet, and their long run pace looked good, but it'd be nice to see some decent running and front of field pace in the next couple of test days.

Biscuit

Steve S14 wrote:^ im hoping because of huge confidence and an extremely fast car
Or they found early on that their CFD mapping was close enough to the real world that they didn't need additional real world data at this point. They're still running the 2010 spec front and very similar to 2010 spec rear.

If they put new wings on this weekend I suspect we'll be seeing the flo-vis... flowing.

But it's hard to tell if the teething problems they're having with the new car are impeding their other tests.

Rino

Jenson Button
"We're not doing as many laps as we'd like, so we're a little behind some of the other teams, which is a bit of a disadvantage, but that's something we're addressing. Over the next two days, hopefully our reliability will be better, and we'll be fully equipped with spare parts. Mileage not only helps reliability, but it's also useful for set-up work. It's difficult to balance the car with the front wing when you're trying a variety of tyre compounds and fuel loads. And it's taken a bit of a time, especially at a circuit like this, where getting the aero balance right is important. There's a lot more performance still to come from this car - now we just need some proper mileage to see what it can do. Hopefully, Lewis will be able to achieve that over the next two days."
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/41314.html

raymondu999

All of this exhaust searching is making me wish for a wet race or rain during a test to see funky patters in the wake which might hint at the exhaust location
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SennaMclaren

myurr wrote:
SennaMclaren wrote:Can someone explain why the --- Mclaren again did few laps?
What's the damn problem?
It's because their car isn't an evolution of last years, like the Red Bull and Ferrari, so they're having more teething problems. They had reasonable running today in the afternoon, but were stuck in the garage for a few hours this morning with hydraulic problems.

It's nothing to worry about yet, and their long run pace looked good, but it'd be nice to see some decent running and front of field pace in the next couple of test days.
Τhank you!

shamikaze

Hi,

Pls correct me if I'm wrong here, but probably due to all this "where did they route the exhaust-to" searching, only just I have noticed the somewhat different design of the turning-vane and underside of the nose. From this last picture where we can see it very nicely, it seems to connect between the pilons of the FW and run quite far back.

What purpose would this serve since it seems contradictionary to what most team do with tehir "high-nose" designs. Could it be that it serves to hel in making the complete nose-cose flex down at speed ? Due to the increased area behind the nose itself create a lower-preessure area to increase the speed og the airflow of the FW and then force it back under the car ? Just posting idea's that pop straight into my head here. pls feel free to shoot (or confirm) any of them.

I have done some searching in the previous (many as there are alrady) pages, but could not find any comment on this.