McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
deus1066

Re: McLaren Mercedes MP4-26

While the now banned F-duct and DDD were huge parts of the MP4-25 design, I'm looking forward to a much more elegant and simple MP4-26. Basically a silver RB6. Hopefully they'll revert to the supple suspension of the past too.

Florio

deus1066 wrote:While the now banned F-duct and DDD were huge parts of the MP4-25 design, I'm looking forward to a much more elegant and simple MP4-26. Basically a silver RB6. Hopefully they'll revert to the supple suspension of the past too.
I agree. The '25 was basically all about their massive DDD and the F-duct. Which is obviously why the EBD was so hard to implement into their car. I wonder how creative they will be with the 26, seeing as it's basically a clean sheet of paper for the engineers.

Italiano

2 pages of nothing useful on a car that doesn't fully exist yet. Doesn't take long to figure out hot the previous Mclaren thread reached 240 pages...
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

murtoidf1

SchumacherM wrote:2 pages of nothing useful on a car that doesn't fully exist yet. Doesn't take long to figure out hot the previous Mclaren thread reached 240 pages...
Because people like you posted mundane criticism, and therefore added to the worthless posts?

Anyway, I think people need to consider that Pat Fry was supposed to be the person designing the 2011 car. I wonder if the new challenger will suffer from a lack of direction after his departure to ferrari

akshat21

"Lots of neat ideas and improvements," reported Hamilton on his Twitter feed. "First time driving the new car and I was happy. KERS and rear wing is tricky but felt right at home with it. Our KERS is the best. It shud (should) deliver."
(source: Hamilton Twitter and http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 35528.html)

Does this mean the car is almost ready?? Sorry am a newbie, so am trying to understand.

gridwalker

He was "driving" the simulator : they'd programmed the expected parameters for the features of the new car (KERS is a known variable from 2009 and it can't be too hard to predict the effect of the movable rear wing) and he'd given it a test run to see what to expect.

I wouldn't read too much into this article : it will mean very little until we see a car on track.

EDIT : Welcome to the forum!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

deus1066

Hamilton's Twitter updates today regarding the MP4-26 and Pirelli tyres in the simulator:

"Hey everyone. Was at mclaren yesterday checkin out the new designs for MP4-26. Its looking pretty kool, lots of neat ideas and improvements"

"I was on the simulator yesterday, first time driving the new car and I was happy. Kers and rear wing is trick but felt right at home with it"

"These new tyres r ok, not too big a difference. Rears r weak tho, they degrade fast. Reason I didn't do the test is the tyres will change"

"Car will change and so it was best to let the test drivers get all the data needed for the sim and wind tunnel"

"Our kers is the best. It shud deliver. No holiday yet, am working flat out today with appearances until mid dec. Pushing guys at MTC too"

Holm86

murtoidf1 wrote:
SchumacherM wrote:2 pages of nothing useful on a car that doesn't fully exist yet. Doesn't take long to figure out hot the previous Mclaren thread reached 240 pages...
Because people like you posted mundane criticism, and therefore added to the worthless posts?

Anyway, I think people need to consider that Pat Fry was supposed to be the person designing the 2011 car. I wonder if the new challenger will suffer from a lack of direction after his departure to ferrari
Fry left quite early this year. Im sure they was'nt too much into the design planing of the 26 at that time. And Lowe was responsible for the 25 wich was a good car and the 23 wich won the championship. So im not that worried that Lowe is designing the 26 too ....

donskar

Welcome akshat21. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Some posters are a little curt in their responses, but it's never meant as personal.

On the impact of Fry leaving McLaren, Fry seems to have brought some positive organizational/procedural ideas to Ferrari (English orderliness versus Italian mayhem?) and is sure to have some technical insights that should help Ferrari. McLaren is traditionally so deep in tech talent that Fry's departure should have little serious impact on the new McL.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

scarbs

MHPE (Mercedes High Performance Engines) will today dyno test the 2011 engine along with KERS for the first time. All three Merc supplied teams will run the system.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

scarbs wrote:MHPE (Mercedes High Performance Engines) will today dyno test the 2011 engine along with KERS for the first time. All three Merc supplied teams will run the system.
Thanks Scarbs,
Do you know if the KERS units will be identical?
More could have been done.
David Purley

scarbs

I beleive so, there might some detail variations, but I expect even the battery pack will be much the same.

Richard

Where's Goonie Mk2 ???

Raptor22

Not so sure about McLaren using similar KERS to Mercedes. I read they were opting for a hydraulic unit. I'll try to find the news clip / article

scarbs

Raptor22 wrote:Not so sure about McLaren using similar KERS to Mercedes. I read they were opting for a hydraulic unit. I'll try to find the news clip / article
I'm told from MHPE that they're using the same system, so may be thats the one with a hydraulic element (BTW that was quoted by Racecar Engineer).