McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chepoi

Re: McLaren Mercedes MP4-26

Halgovern wrote:Racecar-engineering on its twitter page :

'McLaren's 2011 KERS - a bit less electronic & a bit more hydraulic. MP4-26 nose also looks a bit like TF110 but fatter'

may be like this?

Last edited by chepoi on 07 Dec 2010, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

after seeing this i can say one thing, it will be the same nose as the MP4-25 but without the nose splitter.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bonjon1979

spinmastermic wrote:Why is Lewis in the number 4 car next year?
He got more points than button this year. It seems a bit odd but maybe he prefers even numbers?

He's not:

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pr ... entry.aspx

Good to see Scarbs back on this board - i missed his input for a lot of last year and it's always appreciated.

Does anyone have a link to the technical regulations for next year? I notice on the FIA website that the technical and sporting regulations for 2010 weren't published until halfway through the season. Can this be right?

The reason why I ask is because I thought it might be interesting to see if any of the boffins on here have any innovative ideas that get around the rules before we see them on the cars. In particular I'm interested in the rear wing - on the surface of it, it should be quite simple but I notice that Ferrari have already said that they hope that the interpretation of the rules doesn't mean someone can exploit a loophole. Any thoughts? Could the beam wing also be made to actuate as well as the main plane?

murtoidf1

So the 2011 mclaren nose is like the toyotas but fatter.

and it seems to be that the 2010 nose is like the toyotas but fatter too.

so the nose looks the same lol

McLaren were the only team that went for a high flat nose last year, it was a brawn and red bull mix.

also were mclaren the only top team without a groove in the nose because the suspension arms were mounted higher?

marcush.

Mclaren had their steering rack low in the tub ,that is the reaoning behind not having the crosssection modified a la RedBull.It´s a tradeoff,as always.

Mandrake

In 2010 McLaren's nose was lower than the TF110's nose. The way I understand the Racecar Engineering tweet is that McLaren will also use this high nose approach Ferrari and RedBull went for this season, only that it will be thicker. It goes into the same direction like Renault, which are said to develop a nose which resembles an old Benetton nose.
wrcsti wrote:Its an e30 after all.
I know, it's just been an off-topic posting to put diffuser size into perspective :)

(Driving an e30 myself I prefer my stock version without the Diffuser, works well for me :p)

gridwalker

Apparently, this is Jenson's seat fitting in the 26 ...

There's not much to go on, but it is the first official sighting of (bits of) a 2011 car ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

wesley123

on this view the tub seems the same compared to the MP4-25, also look how the head support fits perfectly behind jensons helmet, it is an similair shape.

Personally I think McLaren will go back to a lower nose, as an low CofG is pretty important.

timbo

wesley123 wrote:on this view the tub seems the same compared to the MP4-25, also look how the head support fits perfectly behind jensons helmet, it is an similair shape.
Yeah. His helmet looked a bot too far out in MP4-25

Henning

The scalloped leading edges to the sides of the cockpit (head protection) are new. I wonder whether they will be channeling air to some aerodynamic device or just weight saving?

wesley123

I believe the 25 had these too, headrest area just seems the same

ell66

murtoidf1 wrote:So the 2011 mclaren nose is like the toyotas but fatter.

and it seems to be that the 2010 nose is like the toyotas but fatter too.

so the nose looks the same lol

McLaren were the only team that went for a high flat nose last year, it was a brawn and red bull mix.

also were mclaren the only top team without a groove in the nose because the suspension arms were mounted higher?

i think you need to have a closer look at some of last years cars...there were cars other than mclaren with a "high flat nose" williams being one of them.

ringo

I hope the car is not too big. Jenson is looking pretty small in there.
He can't even look to the side. :lol:
For Sure!!

chepoi

gridwalker wrote:[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... _n.jpg[img]

There's not much to go on, but it is the first official sighting of (bits of) a 2011 car ;)
on website they called it 26A..... it might be called MP4-26A IMHO

astracrazy

chepoi wrote:
gridwalker wrote:[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... _n.jpg[img]

on website they called it 26A..... it might be called MP4-26A IMHO
It will be MP4-26

The A i have a feeling is more to do with the version of the chassis or something like that?