Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I guess the team tested the moveable rear wing in Abu Dhabi. You can see the actuator bulge in the wing.
Honda!

dren

vealio wrote:According to autosport sources from the team says the aero figures of the new car are above their initial target and that means they want to fight for wins from race 1
Let's hope they set lofty goals!
Honda!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Im expecting the W02 to be a BGP001 look alike car with a few tweaks.

Thats my personal expecatation.
Interesting that. May I ask on what basis you are basing that on?(sorry to sound condescending, Im genuinely intrigued).
The BGP was very good but the concept was very DDD dependant. With that gone, I see them going toward the Red Bull concept allowing cleaner air flow around the rear(push rod vs pull rod) as well as having a more pronounced nose than the BGP001(but probably lower than the W01).

The ban of the Blade roll hoop will probably also affect the teams decision in running a more pronounced sharkfin(just an addition to an earlier guess).
The reasoning i have is that the W01 clearly had issues with the nose it had, i have a feeling that they will go back to something like what the BGP001 was like. Yes it may not get the ammount of air under the car for the diffuser to work, but i have a feeling that the Mercedes will have a complete and full rear end that will have a pull rod suspension and a better "blown diffuser" as low exausts i feel will be a feature of 2011 car design.

One other reason i think that the W02 will be BGP001 based is that i am thinking that the BGP001 front end design will allow another feature of 2011 car design im thinking will happen, pull rod front suspension.

I feel that the BGP001s design lends a design that allows you to get the weight as low as posible, whilst having a good aero ballance for the standard weight distrubution for the Pirellis. I have a feeling as well that the BGP001 had something that would have allowed the car, if it had it, go faster, KERS cooling duct being placed centrally to the aero solution.

I have a funny feeling, but i may be wrong. And will happy to be wrong on this one.

marcush.
marcush.

I´m pretty sure something very special in terms of front suspension will happen .
If it´s on the Merc ..I´m not sure .
Maybe we will not see pure pullrod but something akin to a leverarm combined with pullrod....that would make a high nose concept still possible.
amazingly these concepts all have been on f1 cars in the late 60s to 80s so the old hands do not evene have to reinvent them but think back to their beginnings in the sport... :mrgreen:

dren

I think the key features of the Brawn were the front wing endplates, the CofG and the DDD. Everyone has similar front wing endplates now, everyone will have to have a very similar CofG and the DDD is banned. The Brawn also had a very low nose compared to the rest. This may or may not stick with the W02 design. I expect some clever KERS packaging and cooling solutions.

I remember Brawn said they tried a lot of different tricks in various windtunnels when designing the Honda/Brawn car. He said they abandoned some ideas for better yielding ones. With the new bans, maybe the W02 will revisit some of the ideas.
Honda!

dren

Yeah, I'm expecting some interesting ideas with the rear wing, beam wing and rear packaging.
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

I think they figured someday that the w01 will not win a race on merit in 2010 and decided NOT to rush in a new gearbox(to move the CofG rearwards).
I doubt that the solution they had in mind would have been a good one for w02 so it was decided to sit out the season with what they had after realising the weight distribution was not the sole root cause for their weak front?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Right so I have managed to get an excerpt of the news that Vealio kindly pointed me to from Autosport, here it is.
Mercedes insiders are confident that the new-for-2011 W02 is potentially a championship winning car. Although the team remains only cautiously optimistic in public, sources inside the team have revealed to AUTOSPORT that expectations are very high for the car. It is understood that downforce levels already exceed the teams original targets and that the design, a substantial departure from the unwieldy 2010 machine, is expected to win races from the start of the season.

The team has also stolen a march on rivals, by becoming the first team to run the adjustable rear wing at Abu Dhabi.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Morteza

dren wrote:I guess the team tested the moveable rear wing in Abu Dhabi. You can see the actuator bulge in the wing.
According to what JET has posted from Autosport report, you're quite right :
The team has also stolen a march on rivals, by becoming the first team to run the adjustable rear wing at Abu Dhabi.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Neno
Neno

Morteza AMG wrote:
dren wrote:I guess the team tested the moveable rear wing in Abu Dhabi. You can see the actuator bulge in the wing.
According to what JET has posted from Autosport report, you're quite right :
i think renault also tested adjustable rear wing at Abu Dhabi. i am not sure 100 percent.

timbo
timbo

Neno wrote:i think renault also tested adjustable rear wing at Abu Dhabi. i am not sure 100 percent.
They did runs without flap.
So, they probably didn't test "adjustable" wing, but checked the effects of it being adjusted=)

Blackout

timbo wrote:
Neno wrote:i think renault also tested adjustable rear wing at Abu Dhabi. i am not sure 100 percent.
They did runs without flap.
So, they probably didn't test "adjustable" wing, but checked the effects of it being adjusted=)
They did more than that. They did like Mercedes; brought a modified rear wing fulled with sensors...
Blackout wrote:Look at this RW. I do not Remember Mercedes using this wing. It's different from the early versions, and the 'F-ducted' ones, its endplates are fully closed (no anti turbulences slots in them) and there is screws on it. Maybe a moveable RW with its mechanism placed on the wings ?

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/14/79/55/26/022wri10.jpg
Renault:

viewtopic.php?p=210568#p210568
viewtopic.php?p=210576#p210576
viewtopic.php?p=210587#p210587

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Right so I have managed to get an excerpt of the news that Vealio kindly pointed me to from Autosport, here it is.
Mercedes insiders are confident that the new-for-2011 W02 is potentially a championship winning car. Although the team remains only cautiously optimistic in public, sources inside the team have revealed to AUTOSPORT that expectations are very high for the car. It is understood that downforce levels already exceed the teams original targets and that the design, a substantial departure from the unwieldy 2010 machine, is expected to win races from the start of the season.

Substantial departer from the 2010 machine....so what do we expect, high nose?
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Substantial departure, to me, means somthing very different from before.
Im sticking to my guns, in thinking it will be red bull-esque.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

http://www.mercedes-gp.com/en/#/s/news/ ... t-valencia

Launch will be on Febuary 1st in Valencia.